Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Don't usually mess with military rifles but bought a couple guns tonight and ended up with a cut down Krag. Got to load up a box and try it out. Might make a good truck gun. The actions on these rifles are as slick as glass. Also got 32 Hammerless IJ.
Gun Trigger Shotgun Air gun Wood

·
Read Only
1,036 Posts
Don't usually mess with military rifles but bought a couple guns tonight and ended up with a cut down Krag. Got to
load up a box and try it out. Might make a good truck gun. The actions on these rifles are as slick as glass. Also got
View attachment 715689
32 Hammerless IJ.
Dmr50,

The Krag action is without a doubt the slickest operating bolt design of all I have cycled. If you cast, try the 311284 mold 210gr GC bullet by Lyman. The long neck gives you more room for the heavier cast bullets if you prefer them. The second best option is the load gate. Just drop a hand full of cartridges into the open load gate and close. All magically align and are ready for action. This old girl has close to 308 ballistics. The additional case capacity of the longer cartridge gives you more volume for slower powders. This is not a high pressure action. Stay within the specs and enjoy a step up from the 30-30.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
I have a couple thousand GI bullets that I salvaged from a lot of 1905 Frankfort ammo. Loaded to GI dupe, is my target load for Krags, 170 SP for deer. I have had some really nice Krag Sporters over the years but I never fool with cast in them. I shot several deer with Krags and found they kill them just as dead as a 308.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree , the action on the Krag is very smooth , i have not shot anything but the above mentioned 311284 , which if i'm not mistaken was designed with the Krag in mind.
I keep my loads at around 30-30 or so mark just for funning around out back, lol .
enjoy that baby they are a pleasure to handle and shoot,, love mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.