Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired my 336 Cowboy, 30-30. With my favorite load, 28 gr RE7 and a Winchester 150 gr PP(3 other 30-30s shoot his one extremely well), the rifle is consistently printing high. Has anyone had this experience? Was the front sight in need of changing? Heavier bullets?
HELP Please

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Hello Papalot,

Guess you remember I have one of these as well. I have used mine with cast mainly, and use 113gr. to 200gr. with the same sights. All go about 1900 to 1980fps. How fast is that bullet going? My guess is you need a different sight height in front. I would call Tom (Tim)? Rooney at Marlin and get it straightened out. He will help quickly and efficiently. I have had good satisfaction from dealing with him. Sounds like the front sight is a little short if the rear sight is down all the way. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My 30/30 CB had the same problem. I bought the highest Marble's front sight from Brownell's , .735" I think it was. I got the 1/16" white bead which is really easy to see. I use a Williams peep on the back and it hits dead on at 100 yards cranked all the way down with full power 170 grain jacketed bullets.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies men. I took the quick route and scavenged a rear sight from a scoped 336, a low flat top sight. Initial sessions at 50 yards indicate that 100 yards will pose no significant problem. I have several adjustment steps left. Groups are tight and consistent. I will prove this out in the coming days. The 30-30 cowboy is fine rifle. I intend to hunt with it this season.

Again thanks to all

1 - 5 of 5 Posts