Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
That ought to put the venison in the freezer ! It is very eye appeling to me...as I like customizing guns to my taste....and it is just plain fun to tinker around with them....
I wonder if anyone out there has cut a 30-30 Ackley Improved Chamber in one of those single shots? It should get 200 fps more MV with that longer 24 in bbl?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That ought to put the venison in the freezer ! It is very eye appeling to me...as I like customizing guns to my taste....and it is just plain fun to tinker around with them....
I wonder if anyone out there has cut a 30-30 Ackley Improved Chamber in one of those single shots? It should get 200 fps more MV with that longer 24 in bbl?
I shot my first 30/30 deer several years ago with this rifle. It really likes plain jane 170 gr Remington Core Lokts. I bought this stock set right because the recoil pad was missing. I installed a 1/2" grind to fit Pacmyer Decelerator pad. This one is a 22" barrel, not sure if they made one in 24". There are a couple of guys over on GBO that have rechambered to AI and really like them.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Wow! Nice build! And playing around with hand loads I bet you could get some real interesting groups/ballistics out of it. And it sure would make a great truck gun for around the farm too!

But for us uninitiated, what is an SB2 frame?

Reactions: utvolsfan77

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The SB2 frame is their high pressure frame which is safe for all calibers. There also was a confusing low pressure SB2 frame on the 10 gauge, but only 10 gauge and the heavy 12 gauge Ultra Slug barrels fit on it. The SB1 frame is their standard shotgun frame. It is also safe for low pressure rifle calibers. These are 22 Hornet, 30/30, 45/70 Trapdoor level, 357 Magnum, 357 Remington Maximum, 44 Magnum.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
I wonder if anyone out there has cut a 30-30 Ackley Improved Chamber in one of those single shots?
Lots of 30-30AI Handi owners on GBO rechambered with rented reamers, fairly easy hand ream, I loaded the Sierra PH 125gr to~60kpsi in my SB2 Handi for deer.

Tim

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts