Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts
A couple of years ago I shot a 422 pound black bear with a 30-30 at a range of about 75 yards. The bear was walking broadside to me. Shot placement was just behind the front shoulder. Ammo was LeverEvolution. The bullet ended up against the hide on the far side of the bear. The bear travelled 20 yards. I suppose a .35 might have killed him a little deader, but not much.

I've kilt an elk or two with the .35 Rem with perfect results.

My old hunting buddy kilt 3 elk with his 30-30's. One was with a 30-30 T/C pistol :eek: ;D

Results were elk steaks for both our families ;)

Spuzzly, that was a good comment. ;D

I feel the 35 does indeed work better on heavier targets.

I like the 35 but if I could do it all over again, at the ranges I shoot, I'd choose the 45/70 everyday of the week.

Also because its a whole lot less stress buying a Stainless 45/70 guide gun than it is finding the perfect 35 rem 18 1/2" Stainless straight stock. It might be all in my head but I thing the 1895 45/70 guide is a lighter gun?

I prefer the .30-30 .. cause I dont have a .35 yet

I can find .30-30 ammo in just about every store that sells ammo..but it isnt easy finding .35rem ammo around here. Plus .30-30 ammo is a lot more inexpensive.

Caliber debates are so funny, because I've seen deer dropped in their tracks with a 22LR and it's 30gr bullet, and I've had to track deer for over 100yds when shot with a 30-06 and it's 210 gr hollow point and both shot were the so-called "perfect shot" to bring down animals. One shot in the eye, that went directly to brain, which didn't require tracking animal, and the other right in the heart/lung area, and it still required tracking down animal. The only difference between the two hunts was----NOTHING. The animals were still dead after it was all over. All calibers of guns are good to hunt with, it's just how much you want to pay for ammo, bragging rights of having the biggest bang-stick in the County, or how much recoil you can tolerate to have an enjoyable hunt. There is only 1 variation to this, and that is the distance you hunt that can also determine the caliber to use. So if all shots are 200yds or less, then either caliber is good, but if you need to reach 350yds and more for your hunts, then you need a different caliber altogether. To me, this is a no-brainer. Go for the caliber YOU WANT.
Del

Both are good, and plenty versitile.
If you shoot alot and buy ammo OTC, 30-30 is FAR better.
If you reload, cost is comparable, so it's up to your personal preference..

me?
30-30... 27 old girls with plenty of experience, and growing,,,,,

woodrat said:
I'm guessing that even the folks who say that the 35 isn't that useful beyond 150-200 yards or so, still wouldn't want to stand 200 yards away from me while I shoot at them with a 35.... ;)

Woodrat,

I don't know them folks, ............but, I'm guessin' you're right!............I say, anybody that would argue the 30-30 against the 35 is just lookin' for a debate.............Or only owns a 30-30.......

Tom

woodrat said:
I'm guessing that even the folks who say that the 35 isn't that useful beyond 150-200 yards or so, still wouldn't want to stand 200 yards away from me while I shoot at them with a 35.... ;)
AGREED!

woodrat said:
Your statement is ridiculous, nobody in their right mind would go along with that. I happen to be a fan of the 35R and knowing your rifle/cartridge and personal limitation is all part of the sport.

I have seen a rancher shoot a wolf well over a 100 yards with a Marlin 39A in Montana about 14 years ago and hit it. The wolf rolled over got up and ran away. If the wolf died from that wound, we will never know.

The 35R will certainly kill at 200 yards and more and so will the 30 30 win.
In printed ballistics the 30 30 still has more remaining velocity/energy at longer distance than the 35R. with a flatter trajectory

It seem to me that the old argument of the 30 30 vs win.32spl. has shifted over to the 30 30 vs 35R.

As I said I would rather have a good 35R over a 30 30 if my life depended on it.

TO NY

zerbe said:
If you are asking which one to buy, you really need both, then buy that 45-70. ;D
I have all three. When it absolutely has to be killed, my 95 Win. .30-40 is the gun. :)

woodrat said:
308/338, yes, you definitely missed the sarcasm in my comment.... ;D
No I didn't miss the sarcasm. Now that you brought it up. What you stated goes farther than sarcasm it's plain ridiculous to ever make a statement like that.

woodrat said:
Would you stand in front of a 22RF at 200 yards. I don't think so.

35 hands down. Think anybody giving em both a fair and honest chance in the field would agree.Ive shot alot of deer with both.But nothings wrong with a 30-30, killed 9 deer with 10 shots one year with a borrowed 30-30.But the 35 is my go to rifle.Gunrunner,#37 team 35. By the way,whats a 45-70?? ;) Oh yea,I got one of them things around here somewhere. Think its way back in the closet collecting dust. Dont see it much because my 35s 30-30,308s and 7mags are up front,where the working guns are ;D But if ever I hear of a T Rex running around, Ill dust it off ;D

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.