Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you folks seen a noticeable difference between the two calibers in lethality? be specific please.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I shoot the 35 more but both will kill just as fast and just as dead if you do your part, I shot them with the 35 and had them drop in there tracks and seen them run 75-100 yrds. with heart lung shots. The 35 may hit a littel harder only because of the larger and heavyer bullet but you cant go wrong with eather one, personly I lean tords the 35 rem. only because that was the first deer gun I got.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
SoftPoint said:
Have you folks seen a noticeable difference between the two calibers in lethality? be specific please.
::) ::) ::) ;) ;D 8)

Like the announcer used to say at the greyhound track... Annnnd --They're Off :eek: :eek: :-X

EDIT: Depends on who you listen to. Johnny Loco would swear by the .30-30 (along with many others). Then again, there are almost as many that would swear by the .35 Remington.

Ultimately, are there varying degrees of lethality? I always thought dead was dead. That being said, they are so close in performance I think it boils down to the shooter. Sort of like the old saying -- "It's the Indian, not the Arrow..."

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
SoftPoint said:
IMO there isn't a lethality between the two. But I would say out to 50 yards on dangerous animals I would go with the 35R for it's energy that a .358" 200 gr. RN. bullet can generate over a .308" 170 gr.FN. bullet can. From 50 to 125 yards on medium size game. I will go the 30 30 for it flatter trajectory and the energy starts to favor the 30 30 but both are basically equal. Pass 125 yards out to 215 yards the 30 30 because it would have the energy and flatter trajectory over the 35R. Now that I said that and being a NYS hunter all the game that I shot or seen in the woods were about 40 yards give or take 30 yards. I feel a lot safer with a 35R though.

TO NY

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
If you don't reload, you can shoot the 30 30 a lot cheaper (at least around here). Think the difference is slight on deer sized game, but on bigger critters I'd take the 35( actually my 356, but that's a different story).

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
I'm with DWB on this one, I've killed deer with both and elk with the 35. They are both very effective but the 35 handles a heavier bullet when you compare factory loads. The 30-30 shoots a bit flatter so it pretty much evens out, that being said, I prefer the 30-30. YMMV

MM

·
Registered
857 Posts
Get your popcorn ready, here we go .... ;D ;D

For the record it's the 35! 8) ;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have shot both the 30 30 and the 35, as many others have said I like the 35 better for shorter range, and the 30 30 better for 100 yards due to the flater trajectory. But for an everyday shooter the 30 30 for sure, ammo is half the price, unless you reload then they are about the same.

·
Registered
150 Posts
+1 for the 45-70.

My kids have each made multiple one shot kills on deer with their 336 30-30s.

The doe I blew the off side shoulder off of with my 300 Weatherby Mag a couple years ago wasn't any more or less dead!

If you are asking which one to buy, you really need both, then buy that 45-70. ;D

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
After a very thorough survey of 100 actual deer ,..when asked post mortum, what they were shot with and how dead did it make them....the results stand as such the 35 edged the 30-30 just slightly 52 to 48 in that it made deer noticeably deader-er than the other gun....most were no-comment...so we really had to look hard for participants to complete this fine piece of work ;) ;) ;D ;D

·
Registered
649 Posts
CalvinMD said:
After a very thorough survey of 100 actual deer ,..when asked post mortum, what they were shot with and how dead did it make them....the results stand as such the 35 edged the 30-30 just slightly 52 to 48 in that it made deer noticeably deader-er than the other gun....most were no-comment...so we really had to look hard for participants to complete this fine piece of work ;) ;) ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The reason I ask is that I believe shot placement is the key. I've shot deer and elk in the ribs with my 444 and the bullet made a complete pass thru and the animals ran off and had to be tracked. I also had the same experience with a 30-30 on deer, So why go for the bigger caliber with more expensive ammo and get the same results? I just wanted to see if ya'all had seen an overwhelming difference between the two calibers. I guess the answer is no.

BTW CalvinMD.... that was funny.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
SoftPoint said:
The reason I ask is that I believe shot placement is the key.
DWB said:
... they are so close in performance I think it boils down to the shooter. Sort of like the old saying -- "It's the Indian, not the Arrow..."
Yup... Shot placement is KING!

·
Premium Member
10,945 Posts
woodrat said:
exactly 0.05" deader... ;D

Yup..........I got to agree..............Yes, the 35 will handle a heavier bullet, and the bullet will always be a little bigger in diameter than the 30 cal............But then, the 35 was my first Deer gun too..................

Nothing wrong with a 30-30...............Anyone who'd argue against a 30-30 will lose the fight.
I just happen NOT to be a 30 cal fan,............Only because EVERYONE ELSE is........ 8).......I just wanted something a little different.

My last venture into bolt guns was with a 270 Win, NOT a 30-06.........I've hunted with 30-30 and 308, but always went back to the 35 Rem..........

If you're trying to decide which to buy...........Buy the one that YOU like......Cost, and selection of Ammo can be a factor if you don't handload....And, IMO, handloading is necessary to really get the full potential out of the 35 Rem....When using good thoroughly tested handloads, I'd tend to agree, the difference between the two "may" become more noticable........

But in the end, your the one who's going to use it, and you'll never be "undergunned" for Deer or Black Bear with either one..........And Coyotes don't really care, either...... ::) ::)

Anybody who'd argue one, against the other is just looking for a spirited debate or trying to rattle you .

Tom

1 - 20 of 49 Posts