Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finaly got aroung to casting some 30-30 bullets the other day. Using Lyman mold 311041 and wheel weights. With a gas check and lube in place the finished bullet tips the scale at 183.0g

I used 10.0g of UNIQUE powder. Below are my results:

Low 1413
high 1436
Ave 1424
ES 22.48
SD 9.11

No signs of excess pressure at all. I used a mixed bag of brass for the first go around. I don't think this is a bad load. With brass all of the same head stamp I think I can get some tighter numbers.

Now I need to do some more and see how the print on paper.

Any comments or advise?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Let us know how they shoot. Your numbers do look good. The velocity looks to be a good-for-accuracy velocity. Now, if the bullets fit you barrel well and your lube is alright, you should see something promising - hopefully.

I'm curious whether you hardened tham at all......I have had trouble with my soft 30 caliber cast bullets wanting to deform when I run mine through a .309 sizer die on the Lubrisizer.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Shoot 'em and see. My guess is that the pressures will be too high for straight WW aircooled. Just to humor me, load up ten with 7 grains of Unique and shoot them for accuracy first.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The 311041 is a GC bullet. I shoot an AC alloy of 50/50 WW-Pb with 13.0 grs of Red Dot out of my 30'06 on a regular basis with this bullet. I use LBT or Beartooth lube. Velocity is right at 1,500 fps from my 22" bbl. Five shot, 100 yard groups run 1 inch and less. I've pushed this AC alloy up to 1,700 fps with zero leading.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finaly got time to shoot some for paper.

I was able to keep <2MOA from one sand bag. I did not have space to set up my Hoppe's stand.

Also, this is the first time I fired the rifle since putting a Williams peep sight on the rear. The appature is WAY TO BIG. I guess for a hunting sight it is OK, but I think I can get better results with the stock sight.

I believe the round is better than me :wink:

I can see that a lot more time will be spent casting, then some more shooting, a lot more :lol:

I must say that while a little more in price, the Lyman molds seem to be worth the price.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
You say the aperture is too big? Do you have the insert in place or are you shooting with it removed.
Frankly, I'm not too impressed with Lyman's #31141/311041 as it has never shot well for me in any 30 caliber rifle I've trried it in, but many others say they get great result, as usual, YMMV. My molds have the older #31141 designation, but they cast beautiful bullets of the proper size, yet I haven't been able to get the to shoot worth a darn.
However, Lyman's #311291 will stay in 1.5" from several model 94 Winchesters I have as well as a Marlin 336 with straight stock. (No, it's not a Texan.)
I load the #311291 to full power and it's a real deerslayer as long as you stay away from major bomes like the shoulder blade. However, a bullet that I have switched to seems to be even better, albeit a bit slower in velocity. The #311291 weighs 179 gr. in my alloy, and the newer bullet, the RCBS #30-180-FN casts out at 190 gr.I load it over 28.0 gr. of W-748 for a velocity of 1950 FPS which duplicates the 190 gr. load for the .303 Savage. I've only taken two deer with this bulelt but both were one shot kills and none went more than 35 yards after being shot.
FWIW, the #311291 load is 30.0 gr. of W-748. Brass is Winchester, as is the primer.
For a plinker and small game load, I use a Lyman #311316 over 5.0 gr. of Unique. Velocity is a hair over 1000 FPS so a sight change is necessary. The round is too short to feed in a Winchester, but seems to feed well in my marlin. All my cast 30 caliber bullets are sized to .310".
Paul B.

·
Registered
129 Posts
30-30

I run the RCBS 150gr FP w/check, using 10.5gr Unique Getting about the same velocities and 1 moa off sb rest. Open sights, but these eyes are heading south, so gotta do something.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I was using the RCBS 170 gr flat nose with 10 grs Unique in a Savage bolt gun. It shot as well as any jacketed load I tried and didn't lead at all. I lubrisized with ALOX based lube than coated with Lee Liquid Alox and tumbled in motor mica. THis is the best way to prevent leading that I have ever found. I was using these in a 30-40 Krag also at a higher velocity and no leading there either. I often tumble lube and powder commercial cast bullets if they give me leading problems. Doesn't always solve the problem but it always helps.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Is it meor is Unique thr best damned all.around powder??

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
bringing an old thread back to life is a good thing to do once in a while - to your question about unique - its pretty good all around but 2400 is better IMHO.....

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Wow,
This is an older thread.

4227 is not bad for reduced loads as well in the 30-30. I have a 140gr .30 cal cast mold and with 10 gr of 4227, the 140 gr runs around the same speed as a 22 lr high velocity, the 1,200 fps range. A zero recoil load that is very accurate, great for off hand training, and new shooter introduction. I have used Unique, 2400, and 4227. 4227 seems to burn much cleaner making clean-up quick. H-4198 is my go to powder for up to around 1,900 fps for both the 140 and 170 gr cast bullets.

Reactions: The Flint&Fly Guy

·
Banned
2,157 Posts
Is it meor is Unique thr best damned all.around powder??
I thought you were joking at first. I've never found a use for Unique but I am helping resurrect this dinosaur topic because I intend to try Unique in my waffle top (and eventually .45ACP).

• Once fired Winchester brass from my rifle hand picked at 2.030" +/- 0.005".
  • Cases lubed with Lee liquid Alox + alcohol mix
  • Neck sized with Redding die
  • Expanded with NOE 0.310-.314 expander plug inside a Lee .32-20 die with brass plumbing ferule seals as spacers. (universal rifle expanding die on the way)
  • TLC311165GC Old School Marlin mold, half-length sized at 0.310", Gator check, BLL lube after half of the micro grooves filled with my Lube-a-matic lube , my mostly wheel weight alloy with some solder added.
  • Final weight 175.5 gr average
  • Seated with Redding die.
  • Lee Factory Crimp Die crimped.
  • Winchester WLR primers
  • 10.0 grains Unique

They ended up "short" at 2.485". I likely won't chronograph them but will check them on paper from a rest.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts