Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents, not often do I initiate a thread but I need some guidance.

While at my favorite pawn shop I detected a lever. obviously I had to have a look... It's a Texan, DOM 1984. A bit on the new end of my spectrum of preference but it is a straight grip, a weakness I have to wrestle with constantly.

It's what you and I would call a beater... 40% condition at best, but all the furniture in decent shape.

I think I'll go ahead and pick it up with the intent of a total rework - - OTD for $240.

It may become my go to coyote gun.

Here's the question ; I usually do all the refurb myself, including blueing but I simply don't have time. Can anyone suggest a tech preferably in the state of Alabama or middle tennessee who would be interested refurbishing this sweet lady?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Ss

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I'd probably buy it, sounds like it would make a good truck gun or scabbard / horseback gun that you wouldn't have to worry about adding wear to.

Reactions: jmmycowabunga

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
Sounds like a great project and at a great price. I restored a 1951 "A" and had it reblued. If you can't find anyone local and you don't mind shipping PM me and I'll give you the name of the company. They did a great job on my gun. Another thought is Ceracoat if you like the look. Good luck if you decide to buy it and bring it back to life.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Does your Texan have an 18 1/2" barrel?I have a 1983 TS.It has the cross bolt safety and 18 1/2" barrel.I put a Weaver v3 scope on her and she is real sweet.The little Weaver is just the perfect size for that carbine.I was thinking about refinishing the wood but I decided not to.I like a working gun.One I don't have to worry about putting a scratch on.Mine has the Marshild finish.It aint pritty but it sure is tough.I hope you grab that one you are looking at.Good luck.

Reactions: LT

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Thanks bgg, sent PM.

No JD, it is standard I every respect. I misstated the age, its DOM I'd 1976, not 1986. Slip of the finger. I will probably finish the stock and forarm but simply don't have time to do anything else. I may pick it up tomorrow, If so I'll follow with pics.

Ss

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Since you stated Tennessee I take it that your in North Alabama, I know a well qualified smith down South in the Dothan area but I too say buy it and take your own sweet time, it'll mean more to you later.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since you stated Tennessee I take it that your in North Alabama, I know a well qualified smith down South in the Dothan area but I too say buy it and take your own sweet time, it'll mean more to you later.
I agree, I have refurbished several and know the satisfaction from the efforts. When I say a time issue, I'm serious. I've had all reloading equipment, for 6 years. Still in box. Even at age 60, still working really hard in the world of financial services. I suppose I could cut time with grandchildren, but naaa, not gonna do that.

Thanks for the tip BP, send me a name.
Ss

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
That's a good price for a T, even if it is a bit rough and worn on the outside. I'd have no problem paying that if the gun is still a shooter. Like some others, I enjoy buying Marlins and giving them a little TLC refinishing, but if it's going to be a truck or scabbard gun, I'd just leave it as is and just shoot it. Ts make great workhorse guns. Mine is a '78 with an 18 1/2" barrel and it easily outshoots my 1894 in 44 mag as far as accuracy and that 30-30 gives me some real reach. I prefer my T to our Winchester 94, in fact.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
For $240 that Texan would have already came home with me. Two years ago I found a well used but not abused 1978 336C 30-30 for $250 out the door and I jumped on it. It ain't pretty, but it's a fun gun to shoot.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Going this morning to buy a 1975 336 Texan .30-30 75marlincowboy.jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Here's my refurbed 30-30 Texan.

Attachments

Reactions: Karys

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would jump all over a $240 Texan.

Starrbow, that's a beautiful rifle. Wish mine looked like that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts