Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Texan in .30/30 with a 18.5" barrel, and a straight grip. The serial number indicates that it was manufactured in 1980.

The roll stamp on the side of the barrel makes no mention of it being a 'Texan'. Is this unusual? Are there any markings that designate this as being a Texan model?

The only mark that I can find that may be relevant is at the back of the receiver, in the cut out for the hammer, below the bolt, there is a capital 'T' stamped. BUT, I have a friend who also has a Texan manufactured in 1980, and his stamp (in exactly the same spot is a 'M', or a 'N' (it is too faint to tell).

Can anyone help me wit this?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Straight stock makes it a Texan. There was a 336T that sold on usedguns.com a while back , but I don't think too many were marked like it with the T .

Reactions: Marlinjunkie

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Markings, no markings, weird markings -- in its history, Marlin has had 'em all. I once had one marked "336 RS". I asked Marlin what model this was. Their reply was essentially, "We dunno…" In fact, they thought I was misreading the mark until I sent them a picture of it!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Thanks Boris. I suspected that this was the case. I wonder what the marking at the back of the receiver is?

Anyway, I'll bring it along to the OZ Marlin Muster.
Mines a bit hard to read , but it could be a ''V'' .

Reactions: Prickle Farmer

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This issue may not just be limited to Texans. Does anyone else have a letter stamped on the receiver, in the hammer recess, below the bolt? Any idea what it means? the only suggestion so far is that it may be an inspection mark.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.