Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reloaded some 30-30 ammo the other day. Once fired brass that I fired myself. I didn't trim as the length seemed fine and I figured it was not necessary after 1 firing. I was reloading 110 grain bullets, so the overall length was actually a little shorter than factory ammo. I did not crimp.

I tried to chamber a round and the lever would not close all the way.

Any ideas as to what the problem is?

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
No matter what always take a dummy round you assemble and make SURE it will cycle thru the action from the mag tube. That is most likely your problem (COAL). You did not specify if the bullets you loaded areEXACTLY the same as your factory ammo.

Hang in there and these good folks will help solve this problem.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
13,313 Posts
Are they the 110gr. sierra varminter HP's?

Also, did you bother to measure your brass with a dial caliper? I have seen some factory ammo that has left brass just a little too long. Even though I have a feeling the problem does not lie within the case length, rather with the OAL and Ogive of the bullet you're using. Sounds like you might have a short throat. Do the bullets have rub marks on them from the lands?

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Also ... why didn't you crimp?

Remember when reloading, measure, measure, measure until you get everything right on your OAL. I still then continue to measure OAL about every 10-15 rounds to make sure things are right.

bjm

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OAL is less than standard factory ammo, so I don't think they're too long.

I can't remember exactly what the bullets are (my dad took them with him but I think they are Speers), but at 110 gr if you seat them to the recommended length there is very little inside the case, so we seated them deeper. They didn't have a cannelure.

I did not notice any marks on the bullets. We tried them in 2 different rifles.

I didn't crimp because I'm waiting on my Lee FCD to be shipped.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
If the powder charge was a compressed load and you didn’t crimp the bullet in the bullet could be pushed out by the pressure of the powder charge it the neck tension is not tight. Check your OAL and see if it has changed.

Other wise like T-Man said check and see what the OAL is suppose to be on the particular bullet you are using.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Light charge, no compression.

I'll try seating a little deeper and see if that helps.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem solved.

Pops pulled the bullets, trimmed the brass and reloaded.

No problems, lesson learned.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Sometimes...The resizing die is not adjusted properly and the shoulder gets changed just a tad that prevents it from chambering. A friend of mine had the same problem. After I went over and adjusted his die properly his problems went away. Try chambering an empty resized case for ease and comparison.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My dad said he pulled a bullet and the case would not chamber. He trimmed it and it would then chamber. The problem was case length. I didn't check since it was once fired (I know because I took it out of the box and fired it).

Lesson learned.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bob A said:
Was this case originally from a factory loaded round?

Bob A

Yes.

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts
Lessons you learn yourself are the ones that stay with you - good job. I have found Marlin chambers to be on the short side especially in the throat area, such that loads that fit my Winchester often won't chamber in my Marlin. Quite an eye opener to me. OAL had to be modified based on fullness of the bullet.

Jeff
NRA Life

1 - 13 of 13 Posts