Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day everyone - new here and looking for some comments/advice with regards to a reduced load as I am recovering from a shoulder operation and currently very sensitive to recoil. Load would be used for general 'plinking' and hunting small/medium game at close range (out to 50m) - I have very little experience with re-loading so please assume I know nothing?

Thanks and regards.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Cast or jacketed? I've been shooting the Sierra 125gn projectiles lately with a lot less felt recoil than 170gns I was using. I hear it's a suitable load for deer also, if that's what you mean by medium sized game.

Within 50m you might want to look at cast projectiles using something like Trail Boss powder, can get them going pretty slow. Be suitable for plinking and small game I imagine, with very little recoil. Plenty of info on here regarding those loads, or check out the Hodgdon website... http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comments - happy to use cast or jacketed projectiles. Will follow up with the info you have supplied.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Greetings O.B. and welcome!

So much great info here and some really good mates here. ;)

Grab a cold one and get comfy. There is a thread that is many pages long that is all about reduced loads.
You'll find many choices for your needs. If you come up with a load of your own, please add it to the thread!

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,41593.0.html

Reactions: Armedhippy

·
Registered
275 Posts
I used to shoot the Hornady 100 grain half-jacket bullets with good results. I used them for plinking/varmint loads with 36 grains of IMR 3031, which is about max. Other good light bullets are the Speer 115 grain HP and the Sierra 125 grain HP - also the Speer 130 grain bullet is excellent.

My current light loaded .30-30 shoots a 170 grain LazerCast bullet with gas check added over 21 grains of IMR 4198. I think it goes about 1800 fps. I also like the same load reduced to 18 grains of IMR 4198 @ about 1600 fps.

I also had good luck with light loaded plain base cast bullets with 700X or Unique. I also shot a few of the 170 grain gas-cchecked bullets with Trail Boss and they shot great, but I would go with a plain-based bullet if shooting light loads.

One bullet that shot well for me is the 115 grain .311 diameter designed for the .32-20 - they are easy to find.

Good Luck!

Cedar Creek

·
Premium Member
2,730 Posts
Outback,

Go to Hodgdon Powders home page at http://hodgdon.com/ and on the menu at the top of the page you will find "Data". Click on that and then look at the youth loads. They are reduced recoil using H-4895 powder; and there is areal good one for 125 grn 30-30 that I have loaded before. It is accurate and carries enough power for deer hunting under 100 yds. ;D ;D
http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf

CJ

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Read the thread GJinNY posted there is so many loads in that thread you will have a lifetime of expiermenting to use them all.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Don't forget the cold one (or two) ;D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi guys, just one last question. Can Trail Boss be used with jacketed projectiles or cast only - from what I can see there is some load data using jacketed but many say only lead cast should be used??

Any and all comments welcome.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
outback said:
Hi guys, just one last question. Can Trail Boss be used with jacketed projectiles or cast only - from what I can see there is some load data using jacketed but many say only lead cast should be used??
Any and all comments welcome.Cheers.
That's a great question for SWANY. I think he is the TRAIL BOSS master.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My reduced load R&D is taking a different turn- heavy slow bullet: I have a win 94 that will never wear a scope, and even with the williams peep it will be limited to 70yds or less with my eyes not being what they were years ago for some reason. Considering that IMR 4895 is rated from 60% (or even 50%) on up of listed max load i calculated that i could go subsonic with a 170gr RNCL bullet . I hit the goal the first try- 1051 fps. I like the idea of a half full case of rifle pwdr instead of a tiny pinch of pistol pwdr. Here is calculated trajectory with 50yd zero:
yds inches
0 -0.8
10 0
20 0.5
30 0.7
40 0.5
50 0
60 -1
70 -2

Initial tests look promising: no recoil, minimal barrel heating, almost dont need ear protection, tight grouping to hit a deer in the head at 50yds. Might be just the ticket for those driveway goats- saw 4 on the way down the mtn this morn, one huge body nanny wearing her summer red. I plan to post results when i have more hard data.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Outback, welcome to MO!! As you can see we have lots of information here from lots of folks. Enjoy yourself here and keep asking questions till you get all the answers you need, Y'all take care, John.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Need to add a couple questions. Plan to use 110 gr plinker with 9-10th unique. Question is do I need to add Dacron filler or anything to keep powder at bottom of round?

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I put a low recoil load together with 6 or 7 gr of CLAYS under a 110gr half jacket. Not much powder. I tried pointing the rifle in the air first to get the powder near the primer and then shoot and found it MADE NO DIFFERENCE. I bet it would be the same for you.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts