Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can’t make up my mind on what caliber to purchase my hog buster in. I currently have access to a Marlin in 45/70 that I can borrow so we can strike that caliber off the list. I’ve been impressed with the 45/70’s ability to nail a hog. I’ve decided to purchase a marlin rifle for hogs of my own but the caliber situation has me stumped. I’ve read a lot of great reviews on this form by searching about the 444’s ability as a hog round. But have read little, if any, as to the ability of the 30-30 in regards to hogs.

The 30/30 has the advantage in price for both the gun and ammo (a 336C cost $360 here and ammo is cheap and plentiful). The 30-30 also has very mild recoil when compared to the 45/70 I’ve been using. I have read some rumors about it not being enough for boars and I’d hate to buy it and find it too be lacking in power after purchasing it.

The 444 on the other hand has a higher price ($425) and ammo can be scarce and a wee bit pricy. Since I haven’t shoot one I’m not too sure about the recoil but my research indicates its less than the 45/70 but about twice what a 30-30 is. Postings in the Big Bore thread has leaded me to conclude it defiantly has enough power to smack around a hog.

The biggest hog I’ll run up against might be 200 to 250lbs. These are Texas feral hogs in the hill country which is hilly land covered with thick cedar and oaks. I’ll be shooting these pigs from spitting distance to maybe 100 yards. In a year or so I might attempt to harass the deer population too. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Ranch Dog is the man to talk too. I have only shot 15 to 18 hogs, and one with a 30-30. I had always used a 30-06 prior to this. The 30-30 was shot frontally through the area between the shoulder and neck to just over the heart. Hog ran off and was found the next day with the fatal shot about 1/2 mile away. I decided to get a 45-70 the next day, and have been satisfied since. Ranch Dog prefers the 444. A bigger hole is better if going with the slower velocity rounds. They bleed more readily, and drop quicker if using the better ammo.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
....... been impressed with the 45/70’s ability to nail a hog.

There ya go, Sir.....Why not get one?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I gotta go with Tubby 100% on this one,if your gettin' a Marlin and might need more than the 30-30,a 45-70 is one up on the .444[maybe two because I think ,ammo, if not cheaper is easier to get]you can use for bigger stuff also and there is more choices of bullets.I'll probably get a .444 someday but not because I need it,just to round out my collection.Shootrj2003

·
Super Moderator
15,957 Posts
The 444 will have much less recoil than the 45/70. It has far greater knockdown power than the 30/30 within reasonable ranges. If I can nail elk with my 444 you can certainly obliterate a hog with one.

The new Hornady Light Magnum® 265gr FP is a super bullet; hands down far better than the 240gr FP that Remington® loads. Additionally HSM® also loads a 265gr FP.

The 444 Marlin® is greatly underated.

G

·
A .30-30 is plenty of gun to kill a hog. More than enough.

As with any other hunt, and any other gun, shot-placement is the key to a successful and humane kill.

A hog is not a deer.

:)

·
Registered
688 Posts
tubbythetuba said:

Dittos.

The .30-30 works as will the .44 Mag and a whole host of cartridges. But you have CONFIDENCE in the .45-70.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Got my pal this 30/30 after he missed 3 deer in 10 minutes w/ a loaner.
As we pulled up on the bank he saw this one.He ran 100 feet and huffing and puffing dropped this hog at 90 yards with the iron sights(the scope was off). First shot killed him, next two were from the shooter's adrenaline.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tubbythetuba said:

My father has a Marlin in 45/70. I can pretty much borrow it anytime I want too. I do like Marlin lever actions and love both my 39A and my father’s 45/70, hence why I want to get another one for hogs. I could probably just borrow his every time I wanted to go hunting but I would feel bad if I damaged it. It would also be nice if from time to time we could go hunting together.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The 30-30 is a damn good hog rifle. It benefits from moderate velocity and gives very good penetration. I'd pick something heavier if my main plan was to put hogzilla down but even then the 30-30 would come thru.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
i don't know anyone who has gone big bore that regreted it..

i have heard people lament with 30 cal. wishing they had "more". this is usually when premium bullet manufacturers start making their money.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
I have honestly killed more hogs than I can remember with the 30-30 Win; Marlin, Savage, and Winchester rifles. My favorite bullet is the 170-grain Hornady FP but any 150 or 170-grain bullet is going to work. Honestly, any of the calibers offered in the Marlin 336 and 1895 frames are going to work.

My dad and I went out for a walk this morning, just minutes ago, and he reminded me that it is time to reload 30-30 ammo. He shoots a Winchester M94 with a side mounted scope. Back sometime in the seventies we reloaded 1000 cases with the Hornady 170-grain bullet. Very few of these have been shot at targets, a majority of them have been used to kill hog. I looked and we have 27 left!

I'm taking my dad antelope hunting (Texas) in a couple of weeks and suggested he use one of my Marlins like may be the 336ER in 356 Win. No way, he won't go if he can't shoot his M94! I made him walk out to the range and shoot it and he put three of those slugs through a 1" bull at 100 yards and walked back to the house without saying a word!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
That can be a good reason to use the 30/30!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Just to spice things up.

Why not consider the 336 in 35 Remington?

I've read pretty great things of its killing ability on hogs. Not to mention its known reputation as a woods deer killer par excelence.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
flyingfool said:
Just to spice things up.

Why not consider the 336 in 35 Remington?

I've read pretty great things of its killing ability on hogs. Not to mention its known reputation as a woods deer killer par excelence.
I spoke to a gentleman at the local gun store about the 35 Remington compared to the 30-30 Win. He said they are almost on par with each other but admitted the 35 Remington probably has a wee bit more punch (bigger hole and heavier bullet). Since they are so similar I suspect if a 35 Remington will kill it a 30-30 Win will also kill it. But debates that can’t really be proved ether way are why bulletin boards exist… right?

Anyways, I’ve made up my mind. After reading the responses I’ve decided the 30-30 Win will be more than enough. I’m going to order a die set and a few misc reloading supplies in a few days. Once it cools down (late September) I’ll go and buy the rifle. I found a 336C for $360 new at a local sporting good store. I’ll be sure to post any exciting dead hog photos.

Ranch Dog, do you mind sharing your 30-30 load for the Hornady 170-grain flat point?

·
Super Moderator
15,957 Posts
Here's another..................

Winchester® Case
Winchester® LR Primer
30.0gr IMR3031®
170gr Hornady® FP Bullet
2.550" COAL

·
Registered
482 Posts
Irresitable urge to chime in. I own (until the lawyers get through) both a 30-30 and .35. When I bought the .35 it was a good deal and I knew many really liked the round. The response about the difference that stuck with me was that the .35 was much like teh 30-30 only a bigger hammer. When reloading , see posts on this board, you really can get the 35 to equal the range of the 30-30. Personally where I hunt I can't imagine a shot over 150 anyway.

The biggest advantage I can see to the .35 is that most who own them love them and claim a slight accuracy advantage. Personally my .35 will be the last rifle I would ever get rid of.

My best 30-30 load is the top one listed in Lee's 1st edition with H4895 mixed brass and CCI primers using Sierra's 170 fp. No clue how fast they go out of my 24" tube but it turns in 1" 50 open sight groups regular. For me out of the Winchester, Remington and Sierra bullets I've had the best results with the Sierra's. I must confess though not better enough to pay the premium over Remington's 30-30's. Best group is posted in my photo gallery and can be covered by the quarter in the pic.

As to hogs. A very good friend of mine hunted them in the everglades. Not sure about the sizes they run there only that he said 300lbs ws one big hog. He used a .223/20 ga Savage and his dad hunted with an old 7mm Mauser. In his words '"Between the eye and the ear works every time." At one time I had considered a big bore but right now short guns have taken my interest and there ain't nothin' I'm liable to shoot that needs more than what a 30-30 has been doing so well for so long.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts