Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

My father and I are going pig hunting in TX next month and I'm wondering about loads. Most likely the pigs will be 100lbs or under and I want to use my .30-30. Which of the above 170gr loads would be better? Also, on other forums there's been much debate about the Nosler Partition's ability to open up at .30-30 velocities. I'll be reloading for either one.

-Kevin

G

·
Of the two I would choose the Nosler Partition but if expansion is a concern I would go with the tried and true Remington Core-loct. Another good choice would be the Barnes all copper bullet since you'll be loading your own.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The Nosler 170 gr PT was designed specificaly for the 30-30. You will get plenty of expansion and deep penetration.

JD338

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
JD338 said:
The Nosler 170 gr PT was designed specificaly for the 30-30. You will get plenty of expansion and deep penetration.

JD338
even though this is true with the partition for 30-30, i stand behind my 170 hornady interlock. it will expand generously at 30-30 power and still penetrate 50 inches of deer plus bones and all. please quote me on that.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
I'm sure getting shot with either one would ruin your day! ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
What HALWG said.I too use the 170 Interlock and would dout the NP could do anything"alot better".
In bigger cart. it would be a differant story but the 30-30 bullets that have been around a long time
just work well.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I will wait, but M700 has an awesome bunch of penetration tests with the various factory loaded 170's and they all did excellent. Your right, the 30-30 bullet is about as perfect as you could hope for. I am currently loading the 170gr Sierra's, but haven't put them into water jugs yet, but I would think, even the Sierra should do pretty well.

I will grab some PT's for the 30-30 soon though, once they release them as 2nds! No need to pay 1st run prices when the 2nds work just as well for me. Scotty

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Scott, I like the way you roll! Scotty

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I would love to see any side-by-side results. I have used Interlocks and I have used Nosler PPs in other calibers and the Noslers just plain rock! They stopped making them in 45-70 (fantastic bullet!) and I don't know if they ever made them for .35 Rem, but if they make them specifically for the 30-30, that might be reason enough to start looking for a 30-30! I love them in 6.5x55 Swede and .243 Win so I know the smaller calibers work great also.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
T-Bone, if you keep your eyes open on the Shooters Pro Shop, you can buy the 170gr PT's for the 30-30 at a good price. Just gotta really watch the site for when they make a run. Scotty

·
Registered
205 Posts
Try the Hornady Interlock. Years ago I watched my Dad shoot a whitetail at about 225 yards with the Hornady in the chest with a 270. We found the bullet just under the skin in the rear leg. Perfect mushroom. Since then it is about all I shoot in anything. Usually bang, flop, except when I mess up. Can't blame the bullet for that. Can you say "Love those bullets". I guess I should be a spokesman for them. I won't bother shooting anything else and my local pusher knows that. "YMMV".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts