Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lyman 311041 is a classic lever action bullet mold. It is designed to fit the chambers of our guns perfectly. Personally, it is the most accurate bullet I can shoot out of my 336CB and 336SS. I shoot it at about 1800 to 2300fps and currently have a great group with it in the Postal match over on Beartooth. A group of us from Cast Boolets are getting a 6 count mold made up for those of us that use it so much. The cost is 56 $. These molds are of excellent quality, durable, and if there is any chance that you THINK you might want this in the future, this is your big chance. I went through several thousand of these bullets last year, so I am getting one. The bullet mold by Lyman currently has only 2 cavities. Give us a look!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=1872

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey Dr A

Thanks for the heads up for the 30-30 mold. If I get back from eastern Washington in time I will get an order in. :lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Someone may need to educate me here, but I was under the impression that you weren' t supposed to use cast bullets with the microgroove rifling. Are you using older 336s with some other (Ballard?) rifling? Special alloy?

·
Registered
482 Posts
cast bullets work fine with micro groove. My understanding is that MG barrels tend to be on the large size when it comes to boe diameter. Just like std. cut rifling the key is proper fit to bore. In fact my first year 336A likes large enough bullets that they shoot fine in Dad's MG 336RC.

What is the weight of the mould?? I'm hoping to have some free $$ before it's too late!

B

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I size .311 and get great accuracy from my microgroove. However, I do have a 336CB that has the deep cut Ballard rifleing. Both barrels do better when lapped, although my 336SS really does not need it. I use plain water quenched wheel weights tumble lubed in Lee's liquid alox. Couldn't be any easier (or cheaper).

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I might have to think about that. I have never really shot much cast bullets. Did shoot a few this year for the PM though and had my best score with a cast. The only casting I have ever done has been for miniballs for my musket. I dont really know squat about the sizing lubing ect. But I can see that for the PM next year I might have to shoot a whole bunch more :shock: And I did just hang a scope on my 30-30 SC. Help me out here Dr A with some info and I may just be in for this deal.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alan,

If I can do it, anybody can. Like any reloading deal, it sounds worse than it is.

#1 find wheel weights
#2 Heat them in a cheap Lee pot (around 50 bucks)
#3 spoon wheel weight clips off (my son does this)
#4 flux--Take sawdust and parafin and sprinkle on alloy, causing a small flame. This cleans the lead. scoop out top reactive lead.
#5 Heat mold. May do this on a hot plate, or just start casting. The 6 count is a bit tougher than the 2 or 1. Start with a ladle and put lead from the outside working in as you hold it. Ladle can do all 6 bullets.
#6 Open mold and drop in 5 gallon bucket of cold water.
#7 Make 500 bullets or so and stop.
#8 Wait no more than 10 days. (becomes harder), and use a 8 ounce bottle of alcohol mixed with Lee case lube. A whole tube works, squirted in the bottle. Shake vigorously and mix with bullets.
#8 Size them. This is merely a punch mounted on your press. A sizer is a round hole, in this case a custom .311 25$ sizer that can be used forever. It comes with a container for pressing the bullets into it. No nose punch needed, and you fit the gas checks on the bottom of the bullet before pushing through nose first up into container. My bullets get sized from a .312 down to .311. Lee only makes .309, so don't even order this one. Call them up with your credit card and special order one. Takes 2 weeks. They send some alox, which is messy and kind of ugly but WORKS. Some size to smaller amounts, but is not wanted for your Marlin. My brother's 30-30 is a Winchester like yours. His shoots this bullet much better than the jacketed. Also not as finicky as the Marlins. John Kort has a Winchester, and shoots mainly lead. That guy can shoot, but then also has the lead loads down. I will have some of this bullet available for you when you're running through. Lapping might help the 30-30 SC of yours. I'm thinking the old 336A of mine needs something. It may have a headspace problem, as I get some misfires.

9# tuble lube them. squirt it on in a plastic container and swirl away. Pour out on a sheet of wax paper, or I just use used grocery bags (plastic). They are ready in a day unless you want two coats. I do this for over 2000fps.

Go look at the Lee sight, there are more expensive methods, but I havn't needed them yet. (neither has Ranch Dog,) or my brother. My brother is ordering this mold as well. I don't know about smaller caliber hunting, but on larger caliber, it works real well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts