Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, didnt think it would happen but Im selling my Winnie 94 .375 for a Marlin 336 30-30... I want to shoot a lever gun more often without spending $x amount on 375 factorys, An i figured a 3030 is going to be the best choice, plus i would like to try a Scope one it!
I havent picked out a Marlin yet but thought i would ask a few Questions on here first.

Which model is a good no frills gun?. im not after a safe queen an looking for a decet fair price, proberly no deluxe stuff.
Is the new marlins the go or look for a 2nd hand old Marlin?

Is the leverlution ammo doing good things? i plan on using federal 170gr as it will be a backpacking sambar rifle.
i will be scoping it with a bushnell 3-9x32 .

Cheers for the help any feed back is welcome.

WL

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Well welcome aboard Whelanlad...

I would look for an older 336. My favorites are the pre cross bolt safety models, but I would not turn down a good deal on one with the safety. Your Win 375 is desirable enough that funding this purchase should not be an issue. You can find nice used rifles on all the popular auction sites and on the used rack at local gun shops. So you should not have to 'settle' for a rough or poorly maintained rifle. Good luck and it is a good choice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers mate, by the way im from aus, must update the profile info..

I must add, i want checkering on the rifle so that might throw some older models out? from what i gather?

So far have a good price on a Brand new 336W, how do these fair up?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also what is the Remlin i am reading?

most of my Qs are gettin answered as i read back into old threads in the 336 forum.

EDIT. marlin made by remington...

ill keep reading... sorry

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Any used 336 in good condition that goes back before 2007 should be fine. That doesn't mean you don't have to look it over carefully. I think that goes without saying on any used purchase.

My newest 336 was made in 2007 and it is a great shooter. You have a 100 years of Marlins to choose from, I think you will find one you like.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Gday WL, fellow Aussie here.

Get to know your serial numbers and buy an older (pre '09) one. Too many probs with the recent ones. Also mate, Ive gotta say if youre going for trophy sized Sambar, 30-30 is a bit light IMO. If your shootin youngin's for meat at less than 100 yds, no prob.

Thats why Ive got a 30-30....and a 7mm Magnum. ;)

Just my 2c of course.

Cheers, Scott.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Oh, also take a look at the Rant forum. It'll answer a few more of your questions (and may scare you a little! )

Cheers, Scott.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
While we, the wife and I, have had no problems with the two Remlins we have bought, I would still suggest that you look for a good used Marlin. I'm not sure, but I believe your Sambar stags are roughly the size of our elk, so, as long as you keep your shots to 100 yards or less, the .30-30 should handle the job pretty well. Of course, I would recommend that you go for a bit more punch, like with a .35 Remington or even a .45-70. I don't know what they get for .35 Remington or .45-70 cartridges in Oz, but they have to be less than .375's. You ought to consider getting into handloading. Ammo is much less expensive that way. Whatever you decide as far as calibers go, you've made a very good choice opting for a Marlin. Good hunting, mate.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
WhelanLad - While I have nothing against getting another rifle I believe Brian has a good suggestion concerning getting into reloading. Serviceable used reloading equipment, and a scope mount for your Winchester big bore, would be less expensive that a good rifle, new or used. At a later date should you sell/trade the Winchester all you would be out is the scope mount and having to buy a set of reloading dies for the new caliber you are getting. I started with the very basic Lee loader, and later moved into equipment by way of garage/estate sales. Too, ask around gun shops and sporting goods stores. You can usually find men and women who reload. Most will be more than happy to have you visit and show you their setup. You can avoid buying a lot of equipment you won't need for years to come, or equipment that you will outgrow very quickly. Lastly, most reloaders have some excess items they can sell you, or in some instances I was given, at a low cost. Almost every reloader I know has gone down a few dead end paths, and they can steer you away from them.
Sorry this has ran on so long. Best of luck with your potential new rifle.
Shenandoah

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hey Whelan, have you taken Sambar with the 375 ? Id be interested to know how she performs as Ive often thought about buying one myself.

Brian, Im no expert on this and have never been to the States so I cant make any personal comparisons between Elk and Sambar, but from what Ive heard from hunters far more knowledgeable than myself is that Sambar are quiet thick skinned and have very course hair in comparison to North American species, and although there is some exaggeration as to the toughness of Sambar, the general consensus is that something in the order of a 30-06 is needed to take them cleanly and humanely. As you said, something a little heavier than 30-30 is advisable. In fact the 270 is the minimum legal caliber for Sambar, and most consider that caliber marginal. Most hunters I know use the likes of the 30-06, 7mm mags, 300 win mag, and the lever fans use 45-70's. ;)

35 rem is not popular here in Oz, the 3 gun shops in my area dont even stock ammo for it.

I dont know anyone, or have I ever seen anyone in a mag or any online report that has taken a Sambar with a 30-30.

Whelan, Ive got my 30-30 for pigs and goats, and if the opportunity arises a smaller deer, and its definitely my fun gun, but I think if you're shelling out cash for a dedicated hunting rifle, I think you'll be buying another more suitable gun further down the track.

Cheers, Scott.

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts
I would look into reloading the .375w Several members here can testify to the Lee loader for a cost friendly shooters dream. They made one in .375, have a look for one on the auction sites. .DT

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Not familar with your game animal, but maybe a 308 or 338 LeverEvolution chambered rifle would be a better choice than the 30-30. The 375 Win. is not a hard cartridge to reload if you want to get started. That said, know your game, hunt close and place a 170gr bullet in the right place and I think the 30-30 would do the job. DP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Obe,
Yeah mate dont get me wrong I hunt samba 3 times a week and mostly use my 35 Whelen, hand load for that its a great round.
have taken a bunch of Hinds and only a few stags, my biggest is at 22inch.

I have shot a Velvet spikey with my Lever, ill attatch a pic. although the last few weeks i have missed a Top Stag from a relativley easy shot for a scope gun and Also a hind laying down in the sun.... I found my bullet i must of just missed...

I prefer Open sights on a Lever, i always love/d my 94 .375win, But I'd like to shoot a lever more often for other game an even pop a few bunnies whilst spotlighting.. reloading for the 375 could be an option i may need to re think, i have hundreds of cases, a set of dies etc, just a matter of doing it...

I would like the Marlin because unlike the 94, marlin offer Angle eject.... off axis scope mount isnt my cup of tea...

I guess I am thinking of 30-30 because Ammos cheap to blast away whenever.
I may rethink this and look at reloading the 375 an just doing a whole bunch of reloads, an see howi go after that, Its just a nice gun to carry an im a big fan of old skool Lever gun hunting.

Hind with my Whelen

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also i have seen a few good deer takin with the thutty thutty, Plus with this new leverlution it may give it a bit more wack, but a .30 behind the shoulder will slow em down enough, under 100 of course :)
I use the open sight for clse thick scrub hunting..

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
I would definitely start reloading for the 375. I do not have a Win 94 but if I had the one that you have there I wouldn’t get rid of it. If you are already reloading for other calibers then it wouldn’t be any problem. If you want to shoot more think about casting your own bullets. You can have a never ending supply of bullets to shoot cheep. I shoot Ranch Dogs 235 grain cast in my 375 Marlin.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hey whelanLad, nice pics... looks like you know what your doing mate, didnt mean to imply you were a newby. Are you in Vic?

Id keep doin what your doin if I were you mate. You know the old saying, if it aint broke... ;)

And buy a 30-30 for good measure. 8)

Hey what scope are you using on the 35 Whelan?

Cheers, Scott.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
gday, im in Vic, north east born n bred. ;D

im using a 2-7x33 vx2, its been great.

Yeah mate i think il just grab a 30-30 aswell, scope it with a x33 an in a year or so, weigh up what im doing an whats been used etc.

my 94 is a nice gun an i dont want to sell it, reload for it an see how i go, buy a 3030 an shoot the hell out of it an go from there!

Cheers
WL

in time il post more photos of the stags but i havnt got them all with me right now so i just threw them up.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
I figure with a 30-30 all you really have to do is get close up, don't care how canny they are, if you have terrain or cover of some sorts you might do a stalk.

I'd reload a good quality 180gn - 200gn round nose and give it a try. I've went with 180s meant for a 30-06 and .308 and loaded a few 30-30s for a Black Bear Hunter friend of mine. He said all were within 50 yds but complete pass throughs and one in the rear and out the front shoulder. I figure they wasn't opening that much at 30-30 velocities.

Lot of elk taken with the 30-30 before the US ever seen a magnum round for that matter the .30 US aka 30-40 Krag. Lot of big bear and moose to those that are that legend called "Beware of the Man with one gun, he knows how to use it well" I was that way for a long time with a 94 Win, then unfortunately I got into bench rest and bolt guns, but even there my wildcat 7mm/06 was my go to hunting rifle and I built that on bench rest standards and it shot that well when I applied myself.

Get used to one gun and taylor a really good hand load for it and it does make life just natural when you aim at something at the far end and just know the hold over if needed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree, ditch the .375 and go for a more common caliber (re:stocked). I owned a 10mm auto once and after the glow wore off, I couldn't get rid of that dog quick enough. It's just nice being able to find loaded ammunition right on the shelf.

The Barnes Vor-tx 150 grain ammo would be my first choice for an elk sized animal and I would have to assume it would penetrate well on your Sambar out to 100 yards or a bit more. A little less costly option would be the Federal loaded with Nosler 170 grain bullets. Most .30-30 ammo is loaded with lightly constructed bullets for our medium game, so bullet selection is a little more critical with the .30-30 if you're tackling something a little larger.

I'd avoid the pre-safety Marlins altogether, but finding a pre-Remington model is paramount and far more important.

Good luck! That Sambar looks like good fun.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts