Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for Marlin 30-30 rofles to show extreme accuracy differences using different loads. I have been to the range several times and it seems I lucked out on my first loads being so accurate. For instance I used a starting load of 26.5 grains of RL 7 under a 150 grain Hornady, very accurate. In working up to 28.5 grains accuracy deteriates to 3inches from just over an inch! My real tackdriver is the 130 grain Speer swaged hollolw point on top of 34.5 grains of H4895 giving three shots touching as long as I am up to it with the 130 grain Speer flat point being almost as good. Next time I go out I am going to work on the 150 grain Speer flat point and upper level RL7 loads. I will also load up some with 31.5 grains of 3031 and the Hornady 150 RN.

·
Registered
688 Posts
All rifles show preferences but I think those with barrel bands and other ipedimentia are more likely to have preferences as only certain loads will hit the sweet spot in barrel vibrations. Now, MY rifles seem to shoot an average group with most ammo, excellent with certain loads and really crappy groups with other loads. Again, every rifle is different.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts