Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be going to South Carolina in february to hunt piggies 8) If I go a friend and his 11 year old son will be going also. I plan on letting my buddies son use my 336Y. I've got Nosler 170 Partitions and barnes 150 X bullets I can load for it , and then I can control the recoil some. But I also like 150 and 170 Silvertip factory loads. Just wondering what others have done in similar situations :?: My first impulse is to get 5 boxes of 170 Silvertips, let him practice with a couple boxes at 50 and 75 yards. And if the recoil doesn't bother him we're ready to go. :!: Also I might start him with some of my cast loads to break him in slowly 8)

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
It doesn't look like you can go wrong. I'd have a hard time letting a kid shoot up a bunch of Barnes or Partitions, though. I think the practice idea is good. Spend time on instruction in the form of shot placement. Most important thing with pigs. Learning what not to do is important.

·
Registered
201 Posts
How about some of Marshall Stanton's 160 gr gas-checked flat-noses? Those should be death on a hog.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts