Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 336 in 30-30 (71 202xxx). About 1 in 5 shots have misfires or light strikes.

Usually I can recock the hammer and get a good strike but its frustrating not knowing when your gun won't go boom -- and it only takes one misfire CLICK to spoke a deer.

So I followed the bolt disassembly and cleaning procedure listed in the sticky --the bolt has been disassembled and cleaned before so grime is not the culprit.

Guess I'll see if it works any better.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Could be several things. It might be worth the cost (not much) to buy a new hammer spring. You could also put a washer between the end of the hammer spring and the hammer spring adjusting plate to see if increased spring tension will solve the problem. It could be the hammer spring is weak. It could also be that the firing pin isn't coming far enough forward. This would require a couple of more complicated remedies.

When you say the bolt has been disassembled and cleaned, did you pull the firing pin and clean it and the bolt bore it fits in? Did the pin move freely back and forth and the pin protrude?

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tomjohn -- thanks for your reply. "When you say the bolt has been disassembled and cleaned, did you pull the firing pin and clean it and the bolt bore it fits in? Did the pin move freely back and forth and the pin protrude?" Quote

Yes, I recleaned the bolt and firing pin. Yes, the pin moved freely and protruded. I'll shoot it today and see what happens.

I haven't worked on a hammer or hammer spring yet so that may be the way to go if it continues to light strike.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Good luck on that, have you pulled the butt stock?

I have found one .35 Rem that had light strikes and I checked the hammer spring first, glad I did, it had a few slivers of wood from an old crack in the stock in the mainspring coils.

·
Registered
90 Posts
As Swany knows, my 30/30 misfires too. I decided to replace both firing pins and the spring. Midwayusa has a forward pin that looks different then mine. The part # is 339288 and it isn't as heavy as mine. Is it an improved pin? Maybe the old style caused a misfire problem?

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I didn't pull the butt stock for that last cleaning.

But I will get more rounds fired thru it this weekend and post results.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, TLC361, that's great thread with lots of good suggestions.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Spring, spring, spring. Put a small washer, or 2 if need be, behind the mainspring, and all will be well with the world.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Twenty rounds thru the gun this morning and not a single light strike. Looks like cleaning the bolt and firing pin area solved this problem. BUT I sure appreciate all your suggestions -- it's almost a gunsmithing class on line.

I will pull the butt stock next serious cleaning and check the hammer spring just to try something I've never done before.

I sure love these Marlin 336 guns.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts