Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have been here for a while but this is my first post, it sure is nice to see a lot of familiar faces from the ol marlin talk site. Any way I am sure this subject has already been discussed before but I know that I was not present at the time. Any way I would like to hear what some of you think about using the 30-30 for black bear. I have hunted for black bear alot but as of late have not had the chance to take one yet. I would like to hear about personal experiences using this round for bear if there are any, and just how effective is it. If I use my 30-30 it will be a good 170gr load probably the 170gr Nosler Partition, or Silvertip. Can someone share some insight with me and some personal accounts. Thanks to all and have a happy Easter.

P.S. FWIW my new 336A with cheap 4x Simmons scope shot a 1.010 MOA group with WIN power points ( 150gr) at the range last week. Now if I can talk the better half into letting me get a 1894FG all will be good. :D

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I sure would not be afraid to hunt them with a 30-30 and the ammo your talking about is both good and both will do the job.. Use it and never look back.. Shot placement is the key....

·
Registered
336 Posts
I agree with Gunjunkie. Although I have never shot a black bear personally, the 30/30 is the most common choice of bear hunters here in Western NC. The .44 mag rates a very close second.

I bought a Winchester '94 Trapper in .44 mag a few years back just for the sole purpose of hunting black bear. It's not that I thought the .44 mag would be better than the 30/30, which I do own as well, it's just that I needed an excuse to buy a .44mag levergun. :wink:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Gunjunkie has the idea, thats a favorite in NC mtns for black bear, half the people who i come across are carrying them, most of these guys are very experienced also, they cant be wrong. I would not hesitate for a split second carrying one. Again, shot placement.

p.s. the win silver tip is a great choice in 170 gr.

Good luck, BEN

·
Registered
221 Posts
Happy Easter to you also, i suppose we both are Great Minds,huh

·
Registered
527 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, now all I need to do is see what 170gr load shoots the best. I just hope that I can get the same results as I am from the 150gr WIN power points. thankd again and happy Easter. 336A.

·
Registered
221 Posts
if you are happy with the 150 PP use them, accuracy is the name of the game. Black bear is not an overly tough animal but you need to make a good shot. I have not doubt in my mind that that bullet would kill a black bear, no if ands or buts. so use what you are familiar and acustomed with.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Several years ago I went on a guided fishing trip in the Canadian Rockies. Our guide carried a Marlin 336 in .30-30. When I asked what the danger was, he said they had a troublesome black bear around for several weeks.
I asked him what the general consensus was about the .30-30 on bears, and he said almost all the guides he knew carried and took black bears with their .30-30's. So if the pros use the .30-30, then it must be a good choice.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Guest:

Although I've never taken a black bear with a 30-30 a young man that I got started hunting deer and bear took numerous bears with his 30-30. I believe it was 10 or 11. Only one did he have to shoot several times. If you asked him about it he'd tell you that the reason for this was poor hits and distance. The advice that you've received is good. Bullet placement is the key as well as bullet on-target performance.

I personally prefer the .35 Rem but would have no problem using a 30-30. I like my shots close. The only reason that I haven't shot a bear with a 30-30 is because I wasn't carrying one at the time and thats because I like my .35 Rems. Also, I'd personally prefer 170 grainers but that's just me. Just know your rifle and your limitations and place your shot. If you do this your meats in the freezer and the rug is on the floor.

GOOD SHOOTING! :D Range Finder

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemen: The 30-30 is fine for black bear but I sure would hesitate on using the Power Points in any hunting bullet. They are fine if your shot placement is right but what happens when things don't work out right and you need to take a shoulder shot. Or a hip shot? Splat goes the Silver Tip 170 grainer from my experience. They blow up a lot of fur, fat and meat and leave the bone intact. The next move is the bears which may not be benificial to the shooter. Why not just use a penetrating bullet like that Nosler and not worry about it. Two reasons for not making the shot. One is the bear doesn't present it and the second is you just don't make it. A recent story on Marlin Owners told about a perfect behind the shoulder shot with a 270. The bear spun and charged the tree the folks were in. He took one shot from the shotgun and kept coming!! The bear took two more direct hits from the backup shotgun then left in a hurry. After a bit they climbed down and found blood, fat, and fur and tracked the rest of the day. They never did find the bear. Bears are not tanks but can on occassion put you in a spot. Use a Premium bullet and don't take chances! Just dropped in, Bestlever

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemen: Please excuse me. In the above post I meant to say Silver Tips not Power Points. Silver tips go splat on bone. Bestlever

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
30 30 for Bear

:? I personally would not advise using a 30 30 for Bear unless it was a life or death situation. I've hunted black bear and grizzlies fo close to 30 years. I've shot over 2 dozen black bears and it takes some stopping power which the 30 30 just does not have. I used to use a Winchester Model 70 306 but now use a Marlin 45-70 using Winchester Gold Partition 300 grain or Winchester Timber Carbine in 444 Marlin using Hornady 265 grain. Last year I stopped a 330lb black bear that was charging me after being shot once through the lungs only 21 feet from me. A 30 30 would not, I mean would not have stopped that bear but the 45-70 sure did. Be smart use the right gun for the right animal.

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
Animal,I am with you and in Black Bear Bad Bear dump area fro Yo Semite,I used 3006 in 220 gr. for years with dangerous results,with my "M" ported GG it is a one shot stopper,people dealing with bear with little experience don't understad the Bears exsplosive speed and strength.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Your west coast bears are bigger than the ones here on the east coast too.. I do forget when seeing a post like this.. .. I would not hesitate to use the 30-30 for any here..

·
Registered
30 Posts
BestLever that was me that told the story about the bear and it was a 30-06 instead of a .270 my daughter was using. I am really thinking of the 30-30 or even the .44mag in a lever action this year for her instead of the 06. She had Federal Premium 165 gr in the rifle and I am wondering if at that range it didn't just pass right on through with out expanding. I wonder if the 30-30 may not be the ticket when we go again this year. I'm concerned about her being in the tree next to me with the lever action also as she is only fifteen now and lever actions are a bit more dangerous that the bolt actions my impression is from past acidents I have read about. Either way shot placement is very important what ever you shoot. I found out fast that night how little I know about bear hunting. I think about that night every day now and I'm even being accused of being obsessed with bear hunting now because that is all I talk about any more. Funny I enjoy shooting rabbits with my longbow even more then bear hunting.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Chessbum said:
I'm concerned about her being in the tree next to me with the lever action also as she is only fifteen now and lever actions are a bit more dangerous that the bolt actions my impression is from past acidents I have read about.
Chessbum,

I have hunted with a lever-action rifle all my life, therefore, I feel very comfortable handling one. Much more so than a bolt-action rifle. My personal opinion is that they are no more dangerous than a bolt gun. The only "danger" could be that if the hammer was inadvertently dropped while decocking. This of course is not a factor with the newer cross-bolt safeties that are on all newer lever-action rifles. (the new Winchesters have a tang safety now, much like many shotguns on the market).

I personally like to have an exposed hammer on any gun I use. One reason is that at glance I know if the gun is ready to fire or not. Most bolt-action rifles it takes a little more than just a glance to know if it is cocked and ready. At least for me it does.

When I decide on a gun for any particular purpose, the very first thing I factor in, and in my opinion, the most important factor is the range that the gun will operate in. I can not, for the life of me, understand why hunters in my neck of the woods, climb into a treestand come deer season with a .300 win mag or a .7mm ultra mag when the longest shot will be under 75 yards MAX. They are the ones that tell me that, "You can never have enough gun for the job", and then look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them that they are under gunned! A few years back while hunting in Georgia, I witnessed a shot on a small buck with a 7mm ultra mag. The shot was under 50 yards, and we tracked the deer for over 250 yards before we found it. It was a double lung shot! Too much gun? I say too little. In other words, I agree with you totally that the bullet out of the .30-06 doesn't have time to expand at very short ranges.

I think it is wonderful that your daughter hunts with you. I have two daughters, and I have begged them to go hunting with me on many occasions, but all of my efforts have been in vain. I guess they will never truely understand what the outdoors is all about.

I hope that you will decide to purchase a lever-action rifle for your daughter, but as you probably have already figured out, I'm a little bias on the subject. :wink: One option that you might consider would be a Ruger carbine in .44mag if you still have concerns over a lever-action rifle.

In any case, what ever rifle that you and her decide on, the safest rifle for her will be the one she is the most comfortable using! Happy hunting and God Bless.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts