Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,568 Posts
I'm gonna try a few different 170gr offerings from a proper bench rest, see what load wins, buy a bunch then never change.
In my case shooting the Federal® Power-Shok® 170gr RNJSP I can place three shots into ¾" at 100yds all day long from the bench.

I wish you good luck with your forthcoming experiments. Be sure to let us know what 170gr load you finally settle on.

Regards...

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I was a Core-Lokt user for most of my life. But with the ongoing reports I've been hearing about misfires, along with one I had myself, I have adopted the Federal Vital-Shok 170 gr NP as my primary hunting round for larger critters.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I honestly HOPE my gun likes something else more. I love my old 1990s 870, but ever since seeing that 60 Minutes piece on the Rem 700 trigger issues and Remington' BS response to it, ive lost most all respect for Remington and try not to give them any of my money.

I plan to try (all 170gr) Winchester silver box, Federal Blue Box and Fusion next time out, granted if I can FIND those offerings!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Here's the thing with the LE's, while it will extend the range somewhat, you don't have to use it for long shots only.
I've taken deer from 50 feet to 120 yds with them, no long shots, but it puts them down right there most of the time, so tracking fun is greatly reduced.
shots taken at dusk, small posted properties, too warm weather,...I want them on the ground where I can find them easily, plus they are extremely accurate in my gun, and not really more expensive anymore then anything else. Use what you want, but don't believe everything you hear from the naysayers...lol

·
Registered
150 Posts
Any bullet placed in a deer will cause some bloodshot meat.
Some generalities apply such as:
Bullet construction -- less frangible means less damage
impact velocity -- more velocity=more damage
distance animal travels after impact
tissue construction --amount of muscle, bone, & blood in bullet path
In short, all things considered, a 30-30 170gr flat nose or round nose is an excellent choice when the hunter aims correctly to put a deer down. Correctly is a relative term as some will accept some meat loss from certain areas on a deer. A shoulder shot will destroy some meat, a rib shot less meat, a high in neck shot less meat,etc. Practice with your rifle will ensure that you are confident that you will make the best shot you are capable of. A well diciplined trigger finger will ensure that you do not take a "bad" shot, but wait for a good shot and possibly not take a shot when the results are not certain.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I never worry about shoulder shots, there are lots of times I want my deer to drop right there instead of having it run across a gravel road or into a thick willow/ bulrush slew and/or it's getting dark and -10 and I want to get going. Shoulder & neck shots are perfect for these times if the deer gives them to you, lots of times you don't have that choice & you either take your shot or pass on it. Out in the middle of a picked bean or corn field I shoot for the rib cage. But an anchor shot through the shoulder don't bug me either.
It's like the guys that shoot coyotes and don't want any fur damage, hey fellers your killing an animal with a rifle bullet yer going to get some damage. You want to find it dead right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
You will not have the hydrostatic damage from the 30/30 that you get from the 06. You did not state where you were hunting and expected range so I can’t comment on the use of the 280gr bullet. I used to hunt in central TX in what we call the Hill Country. Good hunting but the deer are small compared to North Woods deer. Also the ranges tended to be less than 150 yards due to terrain. I switched to a 130 grain soft point in the 30-30 and never failed to drop a deer with one shot and no tracking. When I was younger I used the 150 gr soft point when hunting deer in Mississippi.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Basically, to drop a deer I go for the shoulders. I will waste a bit of meat but as some say tracking is not always desirable. Farthest I saw a deer run was one I hit with a hot 270 130 grain handload. It ran along a fence, through a gate, across the road and into the woods. The trail looked like some was slopping a red paint can. No 30-30 bullet would have done the damage that I saw on that deer. Double lung shot. If in the woods, sometimes deer drop pretty quick when lung hit. See a lot of them that run off a field and then drop when they get into cover. Sometimes a long run. I have taken neck shots but especially on thick neck bucks, one can hit high and just hit muscle. Lost one once with a low shoulder shot as it got on posted private land. Went a very long ways. I am still kicking myself for pushing it too hard but it had been a long time since I was into that situation. Think the 243 bullet broke up and did not penetrate like it should. Shot down at it from a stand so the angle may have been bad also. Slower bullets like the 170 grain 30-30 seem to be the most reliable and a lot of deer get taken locally with $16 a box Federals. I am going the try the Fusions which are claimed to be bonded. Right now buying ammo is a bit tricky. I can handload some Sierra 170 grain however. Still have about a box of Federal loaded with the Barnes 150 all copper.

DEP

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
The longest I've seen a deer run was last year. My son shot a 8pt buck with his 30-30. Standing, about 75yds, due to brush and topography was not sure where he hit it but was certain he did. 20min later we go track it. Decent blood, we're expecting to find it dead. @100yds later we jump it, it takes off. Turns out, due to blood examination from where he was laying, he gut shot it. Crap. It ran about 1/2 mile! We blood trailed it that 1/2 mile, caught up to it, jumped it again, it ran, it stopped, he shot it again, but it ran again. Jumped it again @100+yds later, ran into a creek bed where we ended it with another shot. Deer recovered, happy ending.

What made this CRAZY was, that 2nd shot was a HEAD SHOT. Hit it right at the base of the skull, exited thru its eye, taking that with it. And it STILL ran another 100+ yds! Ammo was 150gr Hornady American Whitetail.

That deer tracking hike taught his 18yo butt about not rushing his shots! Here's where that 2nd shot hit. I stuck my finger in the hole, clear cerebral spinal fluid was on my fingertip. I still can't believe thus didnt end the chase!
20200903_152425.jpg

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
One of the reasons I quit hunting with the 270 was the meat damage, especially a shoulder shot. 30-30 will destroy a bit of meat if on a shoulder shot also. Lots of it is bone fragment as well as blood shot meat. The best bullets I found for eliminating some of this damage are the monoliths like Barnes all copper or the Hornady GMX bullets. Most claim you can eat right up to the hole. They do a bit of bone fragmentation but do not have the lead fragmentation. The lead fragmentation causes a lot of the bloodshot meat. I tried the Federal 150 grain all copper last fall but neck shot the deer so I cannot say how a shoulder shot would work. Those hit with my 6.5CM where bone was broken did not have near the meat wastage using the Hornady GMX's. Another way to cut back on wastage is to use bonded bullets. Federal Fusions might hold together better than CoreLoks?

DEP
I use the Superformance .270 GMX and it is devestation incorporated any where I hit in a kill zone. Never had one go more than 10 yards on any shot. Not much blood shot. I use the core-lokt 200 grain in my 35. Those two rifles I use the most. In the brush I use 44 mags and pistols. Sometimes I take muzzle loader during rifle season in the brush. I do a neck or high shoulder when I don't want to track. I have had them just fall over with a heart/lung shot. I'm not a shoulder shooter.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I use the Superformance .270 GMX and it is devestation incorporated any where I hit in a kill zone. Never had one go more than 10 yards on any shot. Not much blood shot. I use the core-lokt 200 grain in my 35. Those two rifles I use the most. In the brush I use 44 mags and pistols. Sometimes I take muzzle loader during rifle season in the brush. I do a neck or high shoulder when I don't want to track. I have had them just fall over with a heart/lung shot. I'm not a shoulder shooter.
[/QUO

I use the 120 grain GMX in my 6.5 Creedmoor. They do a lot of internal damage. Still using them.

DEP

·
Registered
461 Posts
It never ceases to amaze the vitality of some mortally shot deer.
One of the only two shotgun deer I killed, was just minding his business not a clue I was around, at the shot it took off FAST....looked for blood but couldn't find any, I finally got on my hands and knees in the fall leaves and found a speck of blood, followed along like that over 50 yds and finally was able to stand and follow a weak blood trail, another 75 yds and I finally came across a very dead deer.
When I opened it up the lungs and blood just poured out, insides were jelly. It was shot at 30 yds with a 1oz slug, How it went that far is amazing, just goes to show, always follow up every shot....

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Food for thought, a good tracking dog ? Scent is the same day or night, also a good dog will bring a deer down or anchor it. I would not go out for a deer without either of mine, neither are dedicated deer tracking breeds. 1 is a 9 stone curly coated retriever and the other a black shepherd (they are eastern European) he will track anything 2 legs or 4. Gar.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Gar, I personally like tracking unless it is dark. Eyes ain't so good either. I am not driving an hour home to fetch up a dog or bring it with me and leave it alone all day tied up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
While bowhunting alone, ive decided NOT to take bow shots on smallish does facing the wrong direction at last light because of a guaranteed impending crap track job. With rifles, I take that shot. Other than the above story, no deer that I've shot ran more than 70 yds.

One year, last hour of the last day of the season, I took a shot at a 7pt at 4:55pm. It gets too dark to shoot @5:45pm where we hunt. I was alone, never heard the deer crash. I remember thinking, I have 45min to find, dress and drag this deer 1/3 mile including across a sizeable creek full of icy water. I had him in the truck with 5min to spare, but remember thinking I got lucky on the tracking. He was dead right where I thought(but couldn't see) he be. So anymore if im alone, I'm much more careful about taking shots that bang/flop the deer. Thats why I asked the initial question. Shoulder shot with the 30-06 plants a deer, and id do it again given the circumstances, but i lost a bunch of meat doing so. Hope a 30-30 shoulder shot plants a deer without as much meat loss.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use federal 170gr power shok and shoot high shoulder if given the opportunity but if not I punch through the lungs , to me Federal 170's are the finest factory 30-30 rounds God ever blessed man with . I've never had excessive meat damage with either shot and I've never had a deer go over 30 yards with most not taking a single step especially with high shoulder shots since 1996 when I started using them, Ymmv . My shots are in Oklahoma brush country always under a 100 yards usually under 50

Edit for clarity: by federal 170's I mean power shok's and they're the most accurate in all 3 of my 336's

·
Registered
459 Posts
I agree about the Federals. I have several boxes of core lokts in both 150 and 170 which also work well for me. I stocked up on them because they were available and reasonably priced at local shops when I was out perusing the last few years. For whatever reason Federals were never stocked. If I could find them I’d stick up on power shock 180s and be set for life. However I can’t find anything anywhere in 30-30 or 308 😠

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I bought a box of Federal Non Typical, which are apparently the old blue box Power Shoks in a new, fancier box. And a box of Winchester Power Point silver box. And i still have 1/2 box of Rem Core Lokt. All 170gr.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Gar, I personally like tracking unless it is dark. Eyes ain't so good either. I am not driving an hour home to fetch up a dog or bring it with me and leave it alone all day tied up.
Duke, I am very lucky my 2 are with me every day at work. They have a great bed in the back of my long wheel base land rover and are out many times a day they even help empty my lunch box. My wife say's they only have my best interests at hart, me I think they only have there bellies interests at hart. Gar.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts