Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been a deer hunter for 15 years. Have taken deer with a compound bow, inline and traditional muzzleloader, smooth bore and rifled 12ga slug and a 30-06. Ive always taken "the meat shot," right in the vitals behind the front leg. This year I plan to use my 30-30 with 170gr Remington Core-lokt ammo.

My question is, does 30-30 shots to the shoulder cause "Bloodshot meat?" I know my 30-06 will and does. That round isn't just poking holes; it comes with the big cavitation wound channel that bursts blood vessels in meat by ballistic pressure alone. Does the slower 30-30 do that too?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
If the only angle you have on the vitals is through the shoulder, that round will do it. In my opinion that and a high shoulder spine shot are the only reasons to want to shoot a deer in the shoulder.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Your bullet choice of the 170 gr Corelotks is wise, I believe. If your goal is a clean, quick kill with minimal meat damage then best to stick with heavier bullet weights per caliber.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no doubt the 30-30 will put em down. But im a meat hunter, and don't want to ruin/waste meat. I once took a deer at last light WAY up a hill close to a mile from the truck with a 30-06 in a cold drizzle, alone. I didnt want a long track, i wanted to plant it there, so i shot thru the shoulder. Boom, flop, goal accomplished, but i wasted probably 10lbs of shoulder meat.

Thats the basis of my question. Does the slower(by 800fps!) 30-30 do that kind of meat damage?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I believe a double lung shot, as in your picture, will cause essentially no meat damage. If a 170 gr 30-30 bullet hit there, In my experience the deer will run off a ways, maybe 40 yds maybe 100 yds. Hard to say.
If your shot goes a little forward thru the shoulder, bones and meat, you should get full penetration with a good 170 gr bullet, and Its my opinion you will see the deer drop sooner, and traveling less. There will be some meat damage , but not nearly as bad as a 30-06.
I'm 64 now and have deer hunter since 13 years old. I have had toooooo many tracking jobs in my life , and I would much rather lose a few lbs of meat , over a frustrating search for the deer.
I hunt deer with a 20 inch, Marlin 35 remington now, always with 200 gr bullets......It does a better job of putting deer down quicker than a 30-30. There is not a noticable increase in recoil, or meat damage. The guns are essentially identical in weight and balance to the 30-30. Maybe you should consider a 35 rem?
Happy hunting...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Depending on the range the deer is at, you will create a bit of "jelly" with a 30 WCF on a shoulder blade shot. It will not be as extreme as with an '06 however. If the distance is closer to 150 yards or so, the velocity will be lower, and the wasted meat considerably less. All in all, the 170 gr. Core-lokt is a good choice for deer, and in many of my 30 WCF Marlins, the most accurate bullet and/or factory load I've tested. The Winchester Power-point (old style ones) work well also. Federal soft points seem ok, but I believe the old style Core-lokt might just be superior. If you want less meat damage, think in terms of putting the slug in just behind the knuckle joint, your picture shows a pretty high lung shot, behind the knuckle will take out the heart and the bottom of the lungs both. Makes a heck of a blood trail, for about 25 yards.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
One of the reasons I quit hunting with the 270 was the meat damage, especially a shoulder shot. 30-30 will destroy a bit of meat if on a shoulder shot also. Lots of it is bone fragment as well as blood shot meat. The best bullets I found for eliminating some of this damage are the monoliths like Barnes all copper or the Hornady GMX bullets. Most claim you can eat right up to the hole. They do a bit of bone fragmentation but do not have the lead fragmentation. The lead fragmentation causes a lot of the bloodshot meat. I tried the Federal 150 grain all copper last fall but neck shot the deer so I cannot say how a shoulder shot would work. Those hit with my 6.5CM where bone was broken did not have near the meat wastage using the Hornady GMX's. Another way to cut back on wastage is to use bonded bullets. Federal Fusions might hold together better than CoreLoks?

DEP

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did some shooting yesterday: Federal Hammer Down 150gr(which are bonded), Hornady American Whitetail 150gr, and Core-lokt 170gr. The Corelokts were noticeably more accurate. I was rooting against the Corelokts because in general, i hate Remington, but the gun chooses. Im not done testing, but will stick with 170gr.

I do some looking for some 170gr all copper factory 30-30 and see how they shoot.

·
Registered
461 Posts
The shot behind the shoulder into the lungs doesn't damage much meat unless you hit the off shoulder on the pass through, the 170 CL are fine, I killed a bunch with it but that shot shot location they'll run, sometimes close sometimes far. The 150 gr bullet drops them a little faster, still pass throughs and less tracking. I've since gone to the Hornaday LE's, very fast kills, hardly ever need to track with any reasonable shot location, and yes it will damage more meat, but the tradeoff is I can see them drop within sight of the shot.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I cant find a factory made offering with 170gr solid copper bullets. Federal Fusion makes a 170gr, ill try that one. I dont intend to go LeverEvolution unless I decide to scope the rifle, which i dont intend to do. Im a fan of Hornady, have shot LE in .357 and .44 mag and like it, but its goal was to extend the range of lever guns. I dont need that. If I'm hunting from a stand with further, more open shot possibilities, I'm taking the 30-06. I want the 30-30 for several stands where 75yds is about the furthest shot i could take, for stalking thru thick woods, and as a back up gun incase my scoped 30-06 gets dropped or knocked off zero.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Ben, that is my shot placement as well. I shoot mostly Roe Deer this side of the pond with 130gr speer at 2500fps they are small Deer and the heavier bullets would probably just sail through. Under 2700fps the hydrostatic shock is greatly reduced hence less blood splat as we say over hear, keep us posted Gar.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
While the 30-30 cartridge is no magnum, it is certainly not a "pop-gun" as some modern magazine writers have warned. Yes, you will find blood shot meat after you've skinned your deer. But the area of ruined meat can be greatly avoided with a shot into the ribs just behind the shoulder. That being said, a deer hunter does not always have a perfect broadside presentation.

Your choice of the 170 grain core-lokt is a good one. It very well may be the deadliest mushroom in the woods.

Good hunting to you.
TR

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Hornady makes the 140 grain GMX which is a pointed bullet and should work. I know of no 170 all copper but the 150's should work fine. The monoliths are a different type of bullet as there is little weight loss due to fragmentation. A 150 grain bullet offers plenty of penetration in a deer.

DEP

·
Registered
418 Posts
The monolithic slugs are in a different catagory entirely on game. I used them in my 270 and '06 from about '89 on while living in the west. It makes each calibre act like a much larger bored weapon. I used to use a .375 H&H for general elk hunting. Good penetration from any angle with the old 270 gr. Hornady, shot plenty flat over 350 yards too. The 165 gr. "X" bullet penetrated about as well on elk. Allowed a much lighter rifle and could still take any angled shot given.
In the 30-30 the 150 gr. all coppers will be as long as the 170's, and out penetrate them. As noted less meat damage too. Not like my .444 with 300 gr. slugs where you nearly eat up to the hole, but less than a cup and core bullet. IF you can get the accuracy you want. It took some work to find loads for the 270 and '06 that shot well at the velocity I wanted. From factory ammo I have no clue, never used it in 30-30, but the X bullets can be finicky shooters. The good news is the Core-lokts still work, so you have good back up ammo.

·
Administrator
23,784 Posts
Heart, lung. All that's needed. Ribs I won't eat.

"Well prepared, and trimmed of tallow, is the best meat" "Avoid that tallow by all means" Dr. Robert Hooker, my cardiac surgeon deer hunter that done a dbl bypass on me. We discussed deer hunting and the blood shot meat came up. "Soak it and massage the blood out, or cook it out"

·
Super Moderator
15,583 Posts
Your choice of wanting to use the 170gr Remington® Core-Lokt™ #R30302 is a sound one. It will cleanly harvest your deer with a lot less damage than a 30/06. Marlin® 30/30's show a definite liking for the 170gr bullet IMHO&E.

In my case, I have been using the same load in my 336C 30/30 since 12/1976, specifically; the Federal® Power-Shok® 170gr RNJSP #30/30B. It kills deer superbly with little tracking involved.

The 170gr loading from Federal®, Remington®, and Winchester® is a better load for Black Bear IMHO&E.

Regards...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm gonna try a few different 170gr offerings from a proper bench rest, see what load wins, buy a bunch then never change.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts