Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if someone could tell me how many 30/30 Cowboys were made? I could be tempted.
Thanks. ;D

·
Registered
701 Posts
Dobetown said:
I was wondering if someone could tell me how many 30/30 Cowboys were made? I could be tempted.
Thanks. ;D
Not near enough to make everyone currently wanting one happy. They are few and far between...and you won't have to worry much about temptation unless you have VERY deep pockets. I bought one NIB several years ago for $400 and a used one two years ago for $625 plus shipping and transfer fee...and considered myself fortunate to buy it on a BUY NOW while someone else was pondering the situation. "You snooze; you lose!"

IF you want one, start saving your money and checking gunbroker, auctionarms, gunsamerica, etc on a daily basis. If there is one with a semi-reasonable BUY NOW, don't be shy or someone else will be enjoying it.

"Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in awhile."

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sometime back I read that Marlin produced around 3500 30-30CB's over a period of the three years that gun was produced, however I can't locate that reference. I bought mine for $400 NIB about 6 years ago and am looking for a Marlin 357 CB with a 24" barrel on some obscure gun rack. I'd like a 38/55 CB too, but...

Regards, Vic

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I am a straight grip-octagon-long or short barrel-lever-action enthusiast. For all the years prior to the introduction of the Cowboy line, all we had to choose was the Winchester commeratives and special runs, or finding old Marlins (not common in Texas until the internet gun sales sites). Talk about boring?? 20" barrels?.................well, if they have straight grips, not quite so boring. ;D ;D

I suffered only a short time over paying $505. OTD for my 30-30 CB in '04. It had sat on the dealer shelf for about 3-4 years. Once I shot it, I immediately sent another Texan to Marlin for the conversion. I looked locally and found my 45 Colt CB. My 357 came off SASS Wire Classifieds. Had a 45-70 CB and sold it to buy my Clays gun. Finally I succumbed to the pressure and had another Texan converted to 38-55. In all, 5 CBs, 2 being conversions.

So, not only does one have the 3500 or so noted, there are many conversions out there.

Good luck in your quest.

Papalote

·
Registered
36 Posts
Seems to me that if someone came up with a supply of octagon barrels and could do the conversions at about the same cost that the former Marlin did them, they would do a brisk business for at least a few years anyway! I'd love to see the former Marlin employees get that scenario going. A guy can hope can't he? ;)

·
Registered
701 Posts
There are TWO 22 inch octagon barrels for MARLINS on gunbroker (in gun parts) for $85 listed by a seller in Idaho...a ZANE GREY and a 336 OCTAGON...both unfired and in about 95% + condition. There are two fairly nice TEXANS and a "beater" Z prefix RC in the safe as candidates for conversion.

Now it's my turn to quit "picking my nose" and make a decision. Auctions end tomorrow IIRC.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
edk said:
There are TWO 22 inch octagon barrels for MARLINS on gunbroker (in gun parts) for $85 listed by a seller in Idaho...a ZANE GREY and a 336 OCTAGON...both unfired and in about 95% + condition. There are two fairly nice TEXANS and a "beater" Z prefix RC in the safe as candidates for conversion.

Now it's my turn to quit "picking my nose" and make a decision. Auctions end tomorrow IIRC.
You'll need the forearm too. They have a thinner channel than the round barrel stocks. Just something to consider. :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
The cowboy fore end will not fit a Zane Grey/336 Octagon. Not only is the barrel taper different (significantly) the barrel is cut for a 9.75 inch fore end. The cowboy fore ends are approimately 9". You will need to have an aftermarket/custom fore end. I know because I have both guns and have considered the build.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Rob

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm trying to understand what the owner was thinking when they drilled and mounted the scope on this vintage 1893 Marlin rifle. What a shame to treat this rifle in this manner.

I have a 30-30 CB that I have peep sights on and my eyesight is not what it used to be. I've thought about mounting a fixed 2.5 Leupold scope on it for my benefit even though I think a scope compromises the looks and balance of my rifle. After viewing the add - I'll just sit on this conundrum for another twenty years or so.
;D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts