Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until recently my local component supplier has carried Sierra 170gr FP bullets. The other shop carries more supplies but even less for 30-30. Well long to short I'm going to need to start ordering my bullets.

Now that my selection is not limited to local supply in 170 gr wieghts what has worked best for you? My two personal 30-30's are on older A with cut rifling and a micro groove barrel.

I am asking about jacketed bullets. I cast and so far haven't worked up a deer load with my cast bullets and won't have time before season. I plan on ordering a box of the Sierra's since they work in one rifle but would like to try some others just to see.

Also on the lighter end in the 125-130 range what has worked best for you? My dad has a bad shoulder and even 30-30 levels with 170's are hard on him at the bench. I would like to find a load that he will practice with more and be effective on deer.

TIA

Brian

· Premium Member
5,186 Posts
I think the Hornady 170's are best in my opinion. I like them if going after something bigger. I regularly shoot 170gr. Core Lokt's and have no real complaints, other than penetration was marginal on a large hog I shot. I am not totally sure that wouldn't have happened to about everything. Believe it or not, the Sierra's were my least favorite, as I felt that expanding bullets should expand. The Sierra's my buddy shot last year (total of 5) did not expand, but penetrated very well. Accuracy with the Rem's and Hornady's are top notch.

· Premium Member
8,567 Posts
I have great accuracy with the Hornady 170 gr FP, I just got a bunch of the Remington 170 gr RN and they shoot as well. Midway has them on sale for nine something per 100. I just got 5 boxes last week.

· Premium Member
8,567 Posts
I have great accuracy with the Hornady 170 gr FP, I just got a bunch of the Remington 170 gr RN and they shoot as well. Midway has them on sale for nine something per 100. I just got 5 boxes last week.

· Premium Member
22,111 Posts
In all I have tried weights from 110 to 220, all have worked on deer. The 110s loaded with 37gns of BLC#2 seemed particularly devastating and made that 20inched bbl 30-30 seem to shoot very flat. Personally the 125s and 130s seem better. In the past winchester used to market a 150gn hp that had a very thin jacket that was the ultimate bullet for the 30-30 alas it is no longer made. The 125gn sierra hp would in my opine be a good replacement for this bullet. The 170s and heavier I would use for bear, wild boar and animals tougher to put down than a white tailed deer. I have loaded 180s for several years for a friend that hunts black bear here in Michigan. These are round nose soft points, and I pack a lot of IMR4064 behind them. He says they work well. I've never shot anything with a 30-30 with a bullet weighing over 150gns that reliably expanded, on deer anyway. The heavier bullets went through, and done their job, but did not expand and cause the damage the lighter ones do.

G

·
Most of my 30-30 loads are with my home cast bullets . However...I also load some jacketed bullets(about 400 a year)and personally I like the Winchester Silvertips in 150 & 170 best(but you can't find them to load with anymore).So my picks are the Sierra 125gr HP the Barnes 150gr and the Nosler 170gr Partition. I have tried just about every bullet you can find and those three suit me,thats not to say that the others aren't fine I just have come to like these a bit better ! And the Silvertip issue ,since I can't find reloadable slugs I have gone to picking up a couple boxes of factory every time I see them at a cheap price 150's or 170's. I have a 336Y for my wife and that thing really loves 150gr Silvertip factory loads !

· Registered
689 Posts
I definitely wanted to reply to this thread. I started gun hunting again last year after having problems with my arms so bad I couldn't climb a tree or pull my bow. I pulled out a 30-30 I had recently purchased. I used sierra 150 gr. bullets. Shot 5 does between 50 to 100 yds. #1 dropped instantly- angling away shot. #2 shot broadside at around 70 yds. Perfect shot, straight up from the leg centering the lungs. Deer made over 500 to 600 yds before expiring. #3 and #4 shot at same time. #3 shot at 75 yds broadside walking. Covered over 300 yds and got off the property where I wasn't allowed to go. #4 Quartering away shot. Made the fence also but couldn't jump it. #5 100 yd shot broadside standing. Covered about 300 yds also made the neighbors fence and was luckily whacked by another hunter. Bullets didn't expand well. It was like shooting them with field points. Small hole in and small hole out. Others in the know around here couldn't believe I was using sierra bullets. Hope you have better luck if you use them. Rick

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Rick,
I have read of similar experiences with their 125 gr FP. I really don't have enough experience with any particular bullet on game to have an opinion the Sierras were availible locally and aren't any more. Really around here if it isn't pointy or 7mm there aren't many components to be found.

So I'll try a different brand since I need to order them anyway. I had good results in Dad's Winchester with Rem factory loads using the 170's and I use core lokts in my .35 reckon I'll run a batch of them and how my loads work out. If I'm lucky I'll find one good load that works in both my 336 30-30's swap Dad one for his Winchester then sell or trade the winchester off for another good Marlin.

Thanks for the help guys.

Brian

G

·
I have never killed or shot at a deer with a jacketed bullet in the 30-30 :!: I never even hunted with a 30-30 until about 4 years ago 8) All of them I have shot at since then have been killed with cast bullets ,one shot each :D And none ever went over 75 yards :) My load is not smoking hot either . Now after making these comments I'll probably go out this year shoot a couple and never find them :(

· Registered
4,272 Posts
Hello riflemen: I have a strong opinion on this topic. I built a 30-30 ai for my son and tested just about every bullet out there. for deer sized critters I handload 130 grain speer Hotcor fp bullets for him. they are quite fast and penetrate well and hold together better than any of the smaller bullets I tried. they will break a bucks shoulder. I'll leave the bullets for larger or meaner critters to others with more 3030 experience. Bestlever

· Registered
20,288 Posts
I don't reload... I have used with great success.... Winchester Silver pts.. 170s.... Rem Core-loc 150 or 170s.. I like the heavier bullets best..

G

·
Gunjunkie said:
I don't reload... I have used with great success.... Winchester Silver pts.. 170s.... Rem Core-loc 150 or 170s.. I like the heavier bullets best..
Strange you should mention that, couple months ago I bought the wife a 336Y :!: The little rifle really likes cast bullets. I tried two different cast 170's in it and they were great well I also got a 150 gr mold and have cast bullets that I haven't tried yet . Anyway on the way to the range one day I stopped at Gander Mountain and noticed they had a good price on 150 and 170 Silvertips (I had been looking for the bullets to work up a load with but they don't sell them in component form any longer),so I bought a couple boxes of the 150's. When I got to the range I tried them in the gun :D They shot just as well as my cast loads, and the recoil is slight enough that my wife should be able to handle it (she's only 95lbs) :!: So since then every time I go in there I pick up two boxes of factory for the stockpile 8) 8) Only have 150's at the moment but I think I may try to accumulate about 200 of the 170's before the loaded rounds are unavailable also :!:

· Banned
1,753 Posts
6PT. Which cast bullet are you using on deer? I've taken 14 California blacktail deer with the Lyman #311291. I took 3 Mule deer in Nevada with the RCBS #30-180-FN. I used 30.0 gr. IMR-3031 for the Lyman bullet back then (Before I left the People's Republik in 1970) and 28.8 gr. of W-748 for the RCBS bullet. Both are full power loads and the bullet metal was straight Wheel weights.
I haven't been shooting much cast in the 30-30 lately. K-mart shut down one of their super stores (They were dumb enough to set up next door to a Walmart big box.) and I was able to buy up all 26 boxes of Winchester 170 gr. Power points for $4.00 a box. Sometimes, I live just right. Sure can't come from my clean and wholesome lifestyle. :shock: :roll: :D
Paul B.

G

·
Paul B said:
6PT. Which cast bullet are you using on deer? I've taken 14 California blacktail deer with the Lyman #311291. I took 3 Mule deer in Nevada with the RCBS #30-180-FN. I used 30.0 gr. IMR-3031 for the Lyman bullet back then (Before I left the People's Republik in 1970) and 28.8 gr. of W-748 for the RCBS bullet. Both are full power loads and the bullet metal was straight Wheel weights.
I haven't been shooting much cast in the 30-30 lately. K-mart shut down one of their super stores (They were dumb enough to set up next door to a Walmart big box.) and I was able to buy up all 26 boxes of Winchester 170 gr. Power points for $4.00 a box. Sometimes, I live just right. Sure can't come from my clean and wholesome lifestyle. :shock: :roll: :D
Paul B.
I use Lyman 's mold #311041 it's a 172gr FN GC, I also use the Lee 170gr FN GC with equel results. I use either of those bullets with17.5grs of SR4759. Last week I cast some 150gr FN GC LEE bullets ,but haven't had a chance to load and shoot them yet :!: Saeco and RCBS are making 150gr FN GC molds, I think I may have to ask the wife for one of each for Christmas; after all they are for her gun :lol: :lol:

· Registered
2,036 Posts
I like the 170 Rem CL as a general purpose bullet in the 30-30. It's the one in the middle:

It was one of two I recovered from a moose.

These were taken from test media. Left to Right (in order of penetration) are 000 Buckshot, Standard Foster slug, both 12 gauge and both penetrating between 6 and 8 inches; 30-30 bullets, 170 Rem C-L, 170 Win ST, 173 Lyman cast, 170 Nosler Part., 150 Barnes X. The 170ish bullets all penetrated 11-12" while the 150 went 14"; the next slug is a Remington Copper slug which went 17". A handgun slug took top honors with 25" of hole through two layers of moose hide and newsprint. That was out of a 45 Colt (Blackhawk) firing 325 cast bullet. 

Some folks belittle wet newsprint as test media. I include the test results so you can see what several different types look like in a side-by-side comparison. You can see the similarility of the two Rem CLs, one from the "real thing," the other from "fake" stuff. I believe one may extrapolate from this.

· Registered
2,036 Posts
The Nosler, Barnes , Silvertip and cast Lyman all look good to me
True! One of the nice things about this cartridge: the bullets it uses were made specifically for it. The only time I have had anything close to a failure was when I used a lighter (130 or 150 grain) bullet on a river otter. It expanded well, lost its jacket, and lodged in the offside shoulder, hardly exemplary performance for a bullet intended for medium game.

G

·
I've cast some 150's from a Lee mold to use in my wifes 336Y,but I might try them this weekend at the silhouette match. Also cast some 115's . Don't know what I will use them for ,but I cast a couple hundred :!:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.