Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so bear with me, Im a new reloader, and new to shooting, and loading rifle rounds. So I had my first range trip out with my new to me 336, and my pack of 170gr Winchesters, and fired off some rounds. I do plan on reloading, so I saved the brass. Well looking over the brass I see all of them have a ring at the base. You cant really feel a bulge or anything... just mostly looks different. Is this something that's normal? Should I worry?? Thanks for any info! Ammunition Brass Bullet Metal Auto part

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Pretty normal appearance. Brass is thicker below the line and dosn't swell as much as you get closer to the solid head. Since its not swelling as much as the thinner forward poritons of the case, the brass will not take on the reaming marks left in the chamber as easily below that line where the heavy brass walls limit swelling.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
I'll post a pic of a few sectioned cases showing the thicker area, that causes that.

Very common for 30-30 and it's offspring.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the picture. I havent run into this with pistol brass, so I wanted to make sure it wasnt a issue. It makes sence now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts