Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 336C .30-30 and an 1895G .45-70. Planning on a black bear hunt to Maine this coming year. Was gonna take both rifles. What .30-30 loads have any of you effectively used on black bears?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,589 Posts
Heavier the better +p a good consideration. Get close, make sure you can hit where you want it. 30-30's have taken lots of game, but it is not designed to break bones. When hunting bear I like to know I can stop their locamotion (towards me) by breaking a shoulder, not to hard with a 45-70 in 405 or above grains. I would not want to make the bear mad with a poor shot and be close enough for it to get me. Best of luck, be safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Black Bear season just ended in Maine about 3 weeks ago so you have plenty time to get good with that 45/70. You can play with that 30/30 and be able to use as tack driver and then take it as back up. Yes there been lots of Bear shot and some killed with the 30/30 but think of the animal. The guides and bear operations in Maine will tell hunters to be over gunned instead of under for Bear because of the fat and the entrance hole many times gets covered and DONT bleed so they lose the animal cause no blood trail if shot isn't (perfect). Good luck on next years hunt.What area in Maine are you going? We go in Allagash up top of state.

SpikeMaster49 :D 8) :lol: :D 8) :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
Some of the guys here are kind a funny, they get a 45-70 and all of a sudden the 30-30 isn't designed to break gones. I shot a black bear with a 150 grain corelokt factory load and the bullet exited. It was a neck hit though. It certainly broke those bones. I'd use the Remington 170 grain corelokt and not worry about breaking bones, no matter what you hit you most likely won't recover a bullet. The 30-30 is famous for it's penetration.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,589 Posts
Neck vs. Shoulder, how much of the neck shows when a bear charges? "Some of the guys here are kind a funny, they get a 45-70 and all of a sudden the 30-30 isn't designed to break gones." What is funny about not loosing game or being safe. I never suggested it couldn't be done, nor did Spikemaster who pointed out a fact, good wound channels are hard to get on bear. Neither suggested the 30-30 wasn't a good cartridge, just pointed out things to think about. I believe a 35 Rem is a good black bear round, as is 38-55 or 375, or one of my favorites the 444. I only discussed what he asked about the 45-70 which he is already taking and the 30-30.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a reservation at Oxbow Lodge. First Week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Bait season ends sept 24th
with dogs ends oct 28th
The general season ends nov 26th

SpikeMaster49 said:
Black Bear season just ended in Maine about 3 weeks ago so you have plenty time to get good with that 45/70. You can play with that 30/30 and be able to use as tack driver and then take it as back up. Yes there been lots of Bear shot and some killed with the 30/30 but think of the animal. The guides and bear operations in Maine will tell hunters to be over gunned instead of under for Bear because of the fat and the entrance hole many times gets covered and DONT bleed so they lose the animal cause no blood trail if shot isn't (perfect). Good luck on next years hunt.What area in Maine are you going? We go in Allagash up top of state.

SpikeMaster49 :D 8) :lol: :D 8) :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,049 Posts
150gr Barnes XFN. Ain't no X bullet afraid of any bones. :) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
As long as you handload, I suggest the 170 grains Nosler Partition.

I have a friend who's killed more than 30 Black bears over many years and his only "bear" rifle was an old Winchester 94 Trapper (16" barrel), in .30-30, using regular factory 170 grains ammo. As he said once to me years ago, "I just buy whatever's on sale."

He hunted with dogs, so got up close and personal. I never knew of him to lose a bear he'd shot, nor was he ever clawed up, either. That little Winchester Trapper was really easy to tote around out in the steep mountains and draws where he hunted.

FWIW. L.W.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I've mostly used a .32WS. I use the same '48 series "E" 336 for most of the last 50 years and have never felt lacking. Now I've used other calibers, but mostly for variety. :wink:
Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,048 Posts
if your going to use the 30-30.. use what it shoots most accurate.. Mine shoots Rem Core lok and Winchester Power Points to same POI .. I use 170 power points ...Because I buy them on sale and stock up.. and all that I have shot stays shot.. and dead :lol:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,894 Posts
Exodus 15:3 said:
I own a 336C .30-30 and an 1895G .45-70. Planning on a black bear hunt to Maine this coming year. Was gonna take both rifles. What .30-30 loads have any of you effectively used on black bears?
The best bear; and elk, load I've found for my 30/30 Marlin® 336C is the Federal Premium® 170gr Nosler® Partition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
Sure-Shot said:
Neck vs. Shoulder, how much of the neck shows when a bear charges? "Some of the guys here are kind a funny, they get a 45-70 and all of a sudden the 30-30 isn't designed to break gones." What is funny about not loosing game or being safe. I never suggested it couldn't be done, nor did Spikemaster who pointed out a fact, good wound channels are hard to get on bear. Neither suggested the 30-30 wasn't a good cartridge, just pointed out things to think about. I believe a 35 Rem is a good black bear round, as is 38-55 or 375, or one of my favorites the 444. I only discussed what he asked about the 45-70 which he is already taking and the 30-30.
How much of the shoulder is visible as a bear charges? Where exactly are you going to aim in such a situation? How do you figure that using a 45-70 means losing game is less likely? With good hits both rounds will take black bears handily and with poor hits neither is very satisfactory.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top