·
Premium Member
12,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range today with three hunting rifles:

.30-30 Glenfield with a 2.5x Leupold, sighted in at 100 yards

.25-06 Rem 700 CDL with a 6x Leupold, sighted in at 300 yards
.30-06 Rem 700 CDL with an old 2-7x Redfield, sighted in at 200 yards

I like all these rifles. Started out with the .30-30 as I hadn't shot it in a while. First shot was at a paper plate at 100 yards, from sitting, no bench, no sticks, nothing. Just sat my rear on the ground, centered up the crosshairs and pressed. The Glenny gently nudged my shoulder. Well what do you know? The 170 gr Winchester made a hole in the plate, just a little left of center.

That made me smile. And I was about to fire again, when I was tempted... You see I'd just set up a steel gong target at 300 yards, intended for my .25-06 & .30-06 rifles... So, I went to prone, steadied the Glenfield as best I could. Figured my holdover. Said thanks that there was no wind or mirage to speak of... Wished for a little more than the 2.5x scope, and pressed. The rifle again nudged my shoulder, and CLANG! :biggrin:

I'd say it was a pretty good hit. If this was hunting season, those shots would have hammered one at 100 yds, and another at 300 yds. I'll take that from an old lever action Glenfield with factory ammo and a 2.5x scope.

Don't be afraid to stretch the legs on your 336's gents. They're good rifles.

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Nice Shooting Guy. :congrats:

Yeah them "old" guns still work purty good these days! :)
I'm glad I wasn't on the business end of that deal..

Thanks for sharing.
BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Nice shooting:)

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Congrats........like to see us 30-30 believers stretch our legs...........put some paper up at 200 and see what you can do next......then go back to 300 on paper!!!!!

Reactions: farmboy and M700

·
Premium Member
12,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good shooting - - again! :biggrin:

You just as well box up your M700 .25-06 and send it out my way. It appears you no longer have need of it. Just as well leave the Leupold 6x on it too - - that 2.5x on the Glenfield seems to be working well enough. :biggrin:
DWB - Thanks for your kind offer to de-clutter my gun safe, but I think I'll just hang onto that ol' Remington & Leupold... BTW, thought of your saying the other day "Learn to hunt the wind." I was bear hunting, and moving slowly into the wind across the ridge, from tree to tree. Managed to sneak within 50 yards of two mule deer, by hunting the wind, but it's not mulie season yet. They sure were surprised! No bear for me yet though. I found 'em before season, but not since the season opened...

Guy

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
DWB - Thanks for your kind offer to de-clutter my gun safe, but I think I'll just hang onto that ol' Remington & Leupold... BTW, thought of your saying the other day "Learn to hunt the wind." I was bear hunting, and moving slowly into the wind across the ridge, from tree to tree. Managed to sneak within 50 yards of two mule deer, by hunting the wind, but it's not mulie season yet. They sure were surprised! No bear for me yet though. I found 'em before season, but not since the season opened...

Guy
Shoot... I was hoping you would have had a moment of weakness.

Slip on out this way, bring your .25 and plenty of ammo. We'll get things stretched on out some, let you warm up with your M700, then turn you loose with that 6.5 Creedmoor of mine. Once you try it, you may decide you can't live without one of those too! Even if all we do is poke paper or steel or prairie dogs or Yotes (if you're here for prime-time), I reckon we'll have a great time. The beer is always cold, the wood for the fire is always cut, and there's always an extra chair. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
12,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds good. I'll be in eastern Wyoming about mid October... Not a lot of p-dogs left that time of year from what I've seen, but I'll likely haul along the .204 Ruger to deal with them, AFTER hunting mule deer & pronghorn!

Guy

·
Super Moderator
25,170 Posts
Great shooting! I don't even have a range in my area beyond 100 yards. Its quite a trick to fit a 35 yard shot between branches/undergrowth/leaves to pancake a deer in my part of central VA. Your long range shooting brings back my eastern WA hunting memories from many years ago. Thanks for the post!

Reactions: dhansen and M700

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
What part of eastern Wyoming? As for P-dogs, if it's a mild fall, all it takes is for one or two sunny days, and they'll be out sunning and stuffing their fat little faces as much as they can - - even if the ambients aren't much over the mid-50's. It's a half-ways calm day or two, that will help a bunch as well.

If mid-October of 2014 is anything like mid-October of 2013, then all bets are off. Our drifts in the open country were still too deep. Hope the fall weather this year is more cooperative for you than it would have been last year.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Awesome shooting Guy!!!!!!

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
391 Posts
I don't think that I would have taken another shot after that. I would have packed up and quit for the day while I was ahead, that's what I would have done.

But, I know that there are people here that can do that all day long, as M700 proves, that he and the 30-30 marlin rifle can still get the job done. :congrats:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts