Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hunting Wood Deer Terrestrial animal Grass
Terrestrial animal Grass Insect Beak Soil
One of those exceptional days; First day of rifle deer season and the peak rut day of 2022. About 2 hours after sunrise a spike chased a doe right past me…less than 20 yards and never knew I was there. Moments later this big 8 point runs after them like a cruise missile. I swung the 336 on him just as if I was leading a crossing rabbit with my Model 12. Took him through the heart/lungs and he piled up 25 steps from the tree I was standing next to. I sure am glad I sighted my 30-30 in and practiced at 200 yards for opening day of deer season! Truly, no other woods rifle balances and handles like a vintage Marlin 336.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Congratulations on a fantastic buck! A great Marlin victory in filling your freezer 👍👍

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 336 has a Leupold VX-I 2x7x33. I usually have the scope set on 4x and use 7x when needed but I turned it down to 2x when the spike and doe passed me thinking the next deer would be following them along the exact same course. I’ve seen multiple bucks “air” trailing a single in-season doe like that before.

I was using Hornady 160 gr LeverEvolution ammo, which is the round this particular Marlin prefers overall.

·
Super Moderator
7,537 Posts
Congrats in a great buck, and with a very nice rifle!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts