Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a long time since I have been on this board. I feels like home again. I was on another board and there was a debate about the 30-30 and big Hogs and Black Bears. I have never hunted Hogs and wanted to know what some of you think that have hunted them. It seem that the debate centers around the size of these two animals. Some say that there are big Bears and Big Hogs that the 30-30 would just not be enough gun. They then say that if it is a small Bear or Hog then it is OK. What say you folks. :?:

·
Registered
431 Posts
I asked the same question to the folks at Federal ammo. I was wondering if they would recommend their Nosler 170 grain Partition 30-30 (great load) for large black bear out to 150 yards. Their reply was that they would certainly recommend it but only out to 100 yards.

I have heard it put this way, if you would shoot a black bear at 350 yards with an -06, you are fine to shoot one at 100 with your 30-30. Energy is basically the same.

The state record black bear here weighed 880 lbs. Taken in '98 with 12 gauge buckshot at short range.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
It is the shooter and the shot taken more than the caliber. Read about a kid shooting a cape bufallo with a 223. Not what I would do, but he did it. The biggest issue would be, not when they are already ticked off (read- as make the first shot count) and not trying to penetrate the shoulder or another bony area of the body.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The 30-30 kills hogs just fine with good hits, big or otherwise. The biggest bear I ever saw killed was with a shortened custom Marlin 30-30 in Washington state and I took two myself there with a 30-30. One shot each.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Black Bear and the 3030

:lol: Its' not what i'd recomend for Bear, but that being said back in I think it was 91 a kid took a Blacky here in Pa. 800# + with a 3030 so it's not that it can't be done. If your hunting close quarters and know your gun you should be in good shape. :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
30-30 is fine for killing hogs

Its what i use. You can't get a better "brush gun" on the market. I've killed many hog and deer with mine, dropped in one shot. I've killed deer, with well place .22 round right in the temple at 80 yards. So do stress over a .30-.30 not being enough for the job. A well placed .223 round will drop a man at 400 yards. So again, its the shooter and your distance. No you probably won't kill a bear with a .30-30 at 600+ yards. But thats not what it was designed to do.

·
Registered
137 Posts
30-30 Man:

I've killed bear with a .35 Remington, a 30-06 and even a .22WMR - (I used the .22 Mag when I was a dumb kid and yet knew better) - but I've never killed a bear with a 30-30 Win.

With that said I still hunted them with a "thutty thutty," just never got a shot at a bear with it. But I introduced a kid to big game hunting and he hunted with a Winchester M94 Canadian Centenial with a 26" barrel that was chambered in 30-30 and he has taken at least 11 black bears with his;some in the 400lbs + live weight class and only had to shoot one multiple times just once. And he'll tell you that that was his fault. I believe he always used 170 grainers either Remington core-lokts or Winchester Power Points. One of the more accomplished hunters I know.

Don't hesitate hunting black bear with your 30-30. I'd suggest 170 gr. Nosler Partitions or any good bullet and I'd limit my shots to 100 yards or so if you have the shot. Don't let anyone tell you that the 30-30 is not enough gun for blacks out to 100 yds.

GOOD SHOOTING!

Range Finder

·
Registered
688 Posts
I used a .44 Mag. It worked. Acquaintance used a .30-30 (which I now own) and it worked. Nothing spectacular, just worked. As poor SP4s in CA with families the meat was welcome!

·
Registered
455 Posts
*** IF THE BOAR DON'T CHARGE ***

We worked this topic over pretty good about a year ago ,
( on this same forum , if I remember right ) ?

This is a biased opinion if you're a .30-30 Fan , --- because so many Blackies have been taken sucessfully with the old stand-by . ( We're only talking the most popular gun in the West here ; --- maybe in the East too . )

I agree with the opinion that when Blacks get big , it takes more than a .30-30 to penetrate , energy dump , and kill well from ALL ANGLES . ( " Penetrate " , is key here , -- and that means the potential to break both shoulders on a clasic side shot , --- and exit . On a frontal shot , it means penetrating near the entire length , and breaking heavy pelvic bone to the rear . )

---- On a large Bear , -- that takes a lot of well constructed bullet and horsepower .

But that's only half of the issue . ----- What if the Bear Charges ? ----- Fortunately this is very rare with Black Bear as compared with Grizzly / Browns . ----- But it does happen . ----- In addition , there are rare cases when Blackies charge of their own volition , --- they call them
" Predatory Attacks " -- ( that means they're hunting you ,
--- for Lunch ) .

Or maybe it's a 300 lb. Momma bear , that thinks you might hurt her Cubs .

Read Stephen Herrero Phd.'s book " Bear Attacks " , and you'll find that Black bears , when so disposed , can take you out with one swat , almost as good as a Griz .

Any time I'm hunting anything that has any track record of the
" Dangerous Game " description , --- I'm going to gear-up for the worst scenario . ( And that includes Moose , wounded Elk , Bear and Hogs ) . --- It would be just my luck . . . . .

That means I want " Stopping-Rifle power " .

If you like Marlins , -- I wouldn't be without the .45-70 or
.450 Mag . , and I'd hunt with Hard cast , -- LBT bullets of the Hot and Heavy variety , -- like Garretts or Buffalo Bore .

--- .375 H&H with 300 Gr. Premiums would also be goodly .

If you ever intend to hunt Griz. /Browns , --- it means .458 Win .

You might not need it one time out of 1000 , -- but that time might be on your next hunt .

Don't mean to re-light the bonfires of past controversy , --- but I sincerely don't think .30-30 is adequate for any Bruin CHARGE . ----- As Yoda would say , -- Too strong , and too hard to stop , they are .

The above in MHO only , --------- MMCOUGAR .

·
Registered
566 Posts
The bigger is better crowd always seem to overlook the 30-30's outstanding ability to penetrate, even with the 150 grain bullets. Don't take rear end shots with any rifle and breaking both shoulders doesn't happen very often because you can't see just where the off side shoulder is exactly and a black bear in poor light is one of the hardest animals to judge wether he is exactly broadside or not. A charging bear or amything else for that matter is providing it's head and neck for a target and that is what you should shoot at and a 30-30's light recoil and quick handling make that shot a bit easier. I submit taking the solid chest shot and waiting a bit before following up. Do a bit of study of bear anatomy and put the bullet in the right place, you will be fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts