Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on hunting elk this fall with my 336 in 30-30. I've done enough research to know the following:

1. No, this isn't the "ideal" elk gun
2. 30-30 will do the job at the right range with the right placement

That said, this is the only gun I've got, and I'm going elk hunting. I'll keep my shots manageable and practice all summer to make sure I know my gun. So I'm not looking for advice on a different gun or caliber. I am interested in hearing thoughts about ammunition though. Obviously, the cheaper the ammo the more I'll be shooting it and the more comfortable I'll be with the gun. Taking that into account, is it worth the extra price to buy the more expensive Leverevolution stuff or even the 190 grain Buffalo Bore? That Buffalo Bore stuff is like $60 a box, but I can get 160gr Hornady for $25 or the 170gr Federal/Winchester/Remington for $18. Plus, less shoulder punishment means more range time. Talk amongst yourselves...

·
Registered
179 Posts
You'll need to find the ammo that your gun likes, but given your parameters, I'd start with the cheaper factory 170gr ammo and start practicing. You'll soon discover the limitations of accuracy and range.

Good luck and practice both technique and patience...

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
I don't know if its difficult to get an Elk tag in Colorado, but in PA there is a lottery of all the people that want an Elk tag. There are people that have been waiting for years and have still not gotten a license. Hunters have to pay for the tag, but don't get their money back if their name doesn't get drawn.

I would check into it before you waste your $$ buying expensive ammo you don't need.

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, but Colorado elk license is pretty easy to get. They have a bunch of Over-the-counter licenses if I don't get my first pick for the draw. The area I'm trying to draw into isn't that bad either. I'm definitely going. Getting a license is easy, getting an elk is a different story....

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Take Badguybusters advice and spend the money for some Buffalo Bore 190gr ammo.

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts
The stuff Buffalo bore makes a HEAVY 30-30 load for use in grizzly country. Thatd be my first choice. I realize it's costly but it's better that than a wounded animal
Ditto!!! Im sure pleanty of elk have fallen to Rem/Win ammo in 150gr & 170gr, but I'd like to stack the odds in my favor with the best ammo/bullet I could get. BUT, it also depends on what Your gun shoots accurately, that's the final answer....

Best of luck
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I reckon I'll start with the 170 and see how it shoots. Although I've had the rifle for a few years, I haven't been able to shoot as much as I'd like. Once I get really comfortable with the 170, I'll give the 190 a try and see how it shoots. If it can shoot just as accurately, then I suppose it will be my best choice and be worth the extra money.

The last few years, I've been borrowing my brother-in-law's 7mm Rem Mag for my elk hunting, but he lives in AZ and it's a pain to figure out how to get the gun to me. I doubt the recoil on the 190 is going to be any worse than the 7mm Mag.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Federal makes a Premium round with a 170gr Nosler Partition bullet in 30-30. That's most probably where I would tend to lean if it was me and using a 30-30, and keep the shots at a decent range. I'd stay away from the lighter and/or cheaper stuff myself on them. I've never used a 30-30 for Elk before, but many years ago after some disappointments, I switched to using Nosler Partitions for Elk and have never looked back; I personally swear by 'em for Elk now. I've never used that Buffalo ammo mentioned above, so can't comment on that, but do believe whatever your choice you're going to want good penetration with a well built bullet. I have to add when it comes to some extra cost, what's a few extra bucks compared to a lost Elk? My 2 cents anyway...
Dance with the one that brought ya'... and good luck to you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dawei, Have they harvested elk with it? I'm planning on drawing for an either-sex tag, and I just want to be capable of taking down the first legal animal I can get within range. I don't need to take down some monster bull.

·
Premium Member
8,497 Posts
I would use the 160 - 170gr bullets and not worry about it...they will put big hogs down pretty quick...

·
Premium Member
11,638 Posts
My brother-in-law filled the freezer with elk several times using his iron-sighted .30-30 and factory 170 grain soft points. He kept his shots under 100 yards, and was generally after cows or young bulls for the meat. He had no problem doing so. Elk are big & strong, but not bullet-proof.

Me? I'd take a hard look at that 170 gr Nosler Partition, but I tell you, the standard factory 170's have penetrated very, very well for me. Right up there with some loads from my .375 H&H magnum...

Have you seen the photos Aussiejim posted, taking scrub bulls (wild cattle) with his .30-30 and 150 gr standard ammo? Bigger than any rocky mountain elk, and really dead from his well-placed .30-30 shots!

Link to Aussiejim's scrub bull hunt: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/big-game/138760-cape-york-feral-cattle-scrub-bulls.html

You'll know your rifle well. Elk tags and elk are abundant in Colorado. I can almost smell those awesome backstrap steaks now... Best of luck to you!

Guy

·
Registered
108 Posts
The skinny on elk as I would try to explain it. Look for bullet sectional density of over .25. In the 30 caliber that would be over 160 grains. Look for foot pounds of energy at impact of at least 1500 pounds. I know there is a dogma about the microgroove barrel in the 444 caliber that cannot stabilize heavy bullets. This may or may not hold true in the 30/30, I simply do not know. I have found very good results reloading with the Lever whatever powder made by Hodgdon. Looks to me 100 to 150 yards will be your maximum range! goodluck!

·
Registered
797 Posts
If it were me, and my gun liked the 160gr Hornady, that would be my choice.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Howdy ambirch I am also from Colorado but I am hunting deer. What area ya hunting in?

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I killed one in the mid-80's with a 170gr. Rem. Core lokt. It killed just fine. Mine was a hand load that slightly improved on factory ammo. Most factory ammo will shoot a 170 at 2000fps and 150's at 2100. They claim more. The Hornady's are soft, but with a good chest shot will work just fine. They also go more to factory claimed speed. My shot was probably 70 yards and he went down right away. My buddy, using the same gun and load shot his 6 or 7 times. It hasn't been all that long ago I remember hunting with a friend, and most of what we saw being used was a 30-30. (again-back in the late 70's or early 80's).

Today I'd use a 195gr. RCBS cast boolit going 2250fps. I'd make a soft tip and it hits like a freight train. I get this load using Leverevolution powder.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts