Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use 2400 powder in there 30-30's? I want to use it with 150 gr jacketed bullets. I can't find any load data on this but I'm sure someone on here has probably tried this.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Thanks for your input guys. I did e-mail Alliant and got zero load data.
No doubt.

Why 2400? Just curious. It actually works well with a cast bullet, but jacketed bullets designed for expansion at starting velocities over 2Kfps, will not do much for you at 1500-1700 fps. You will need to fish for a sweet spot to get optimal accuracy. It does work quite well with lighter jacketed bullets like Speer and Hornady 100gr half jacket designs. But 150gr jacketed bullets, unless you have no other options, not the best.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
I've ran 150 jacketed up to 16gns of 2400

18gns of W296 That seemed pretty stout but with lighter bullets in the 110-130 gn okay.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Swany and TMan51.....The only reason is I have a little more than 5lbs of 2400 and thought it might be a way to use it up. Don't hunt ant more, just targets and tin cans.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use it behind the Lee .309 150 FP my rifle likes 14.8 grains 2400 and a Winchester LRP. i removed the gas check shank on one of my moulds so mine weigh in at 154 grains.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I find 2400 in .30-30 position sensative which results in significant vertical dispersion. If the propellant is positioned the same for each shot, results are outstanding.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Neither do I. Herco 2400 (before bought by alliant) was designed for small bore rifle cartridges, some good examples are 22hornet, 25-20wcf, 32-20 but later figuring out that it was better suited as a pistol powder for cartridges with a need of a slow burning powder, particularly magnums. And like all slower pistol and shotgun powders it has an optimal performance in rifle cartridges using a cast bullet. The only cartridge I shoot jacketed bullets with in a rifle is the 30 carbine. I don't see using 2400 in the 30-30 with jacketed bullets highly unsafe to an experienced reloader, but not fool proof and I don't recommend it. If your not hunting anymore and simply want to target and plink, keep the 2400 as it is an excellent choice for cast bullets in that cartridge, but either buy or trade your jacketed bullets for some cast. your bullet options are between 150-220gr gas checked or plain base. There cheaper to buy, takes less powder so it will go further for you, and loaded properly just as clean and accurate. If you need some sources to find those types of cast 30cal bullets, and some starting load data for what you've chosen, private message me and I'll help you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.