Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
My God... It's STUPIDER than I thought!!

Went back and checked on that box of bullets, and that 525 rounds of 36 grain Remington Golden Bullet went for... $170
Our LGS is selling a brick of 500 for $100 or more for months! 38 spc Gold Dot $79.99, CCI 22LR between $17.99 & $19.99, Magteh 38 spc cowboy action loads $39.99, Fed 357 mag HP $34.99, 9mm target ammo $39.99 box, Hornady SST 20ga $25 box,
You can't even grt Remington Accutip slugs or 12ga SST's, Winchester 20ga foster slugs $12.99 lowered to $8.99. With many having limits of one per customer. My buddy just called me the Hornady's are now $30 box of 5 in some places.

·
Registered
68 Posts
DONT WORRY. I recently bought two firearms for which I knew in advance there is no ammo available but of course that will change. Like someone said, we are in a perfect storm which included the panic coming out of the riots. But all in all, 30-cal range of ammo, all the 30s, are always the most available when .22 and 9mm are long gone. I would never recommend that someone only buy a firearm for which there is ammo right now, you'd regret that when things flip the other way. So, take the 30-30 and if no ammo at the moment, leave it parked and use what you do have ammo for. Later when things open and calm down, buy a case or whatever and you wont have to make a post like that again. Its a broken record but please DO buy in low times, and DO keep 500-1000rds as a permanent store for each caliber you have! Dont panic and overpay due to fear.

We are in unprecedented buying but long-timers will note that in years and cycles before covid, many mfrs were on the verge of failure do to low demand and we will hit that again too. Ive known many gun shops always on the verge of bankruptcy because nobody walked in the door to ask for guns or ammo. It is NORMAL for sales not to be brisk and shelves overloaded. My ongoing fear isnt the panic we are in, its that people stop buying anything and the industry folds up. Very few people can afford to buy guns and ammo year in and year out. Most people stop when they have 3 guns, and maybe up to 7-8 guns and there isnt an endless line waiting to buy everything. SOME people buy 10 guns and 30,000rds a year but they are not enough to keep the industry floating.

My own problem is completely different. Among our activities is making slings for the Henry AR-7 and due to covid we have been shut since March, thus letting go of a good year because the demand went up with the gun buying. How ironic.

My advice, dont worry about ammo, instead work hard with money and time to dislodge those politicians whose only mission in life is to deprive us of our rights. There is no shortage there and its an emergency crisis far greater than ammo.

·
Registered
50 Posts
All ammo is like gold right now hang on to what you have. No man escapes when freedom fails;the best men rot in filthy jails; as those who cried Apease; Apease ; are hung by those they sought to please.

·
Registered
156 Posts
A camping world opened down the street from me last Tuesday. They had shelves full of ammo for their grand re-opening. They were selling 9mm for $10.17 per box as well as reasonable prices on all calibers. It took a couple of days, but word got out and now they have empty shelves just like everybody one else. I may have helped them make a little room in the store myself.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
5 boxes of Federal 150gr 30-30 went for $555 last night on GB. Crazy Times for sure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The first ammo shortage was spurred on by homeland security's purchase of 1 billion armor piercing rounds. (BTW why the have an artillery unit is a huge question that needs to be addressed.) This one with covid riots and election. Vista is reporting a back log of ammo orders in tge neighborhood of $1 billion. Its going take a few years clear this up. Good luck and get what you can when you can.

·
Premium Member
S&W, Colt, Winchester
142 Posts
I was watching the Vista Outdoors second quarter (2021) earnings report (they bought Remington Arms--the ammo part, they own Federal). They said they have a back order of $1 billion in ammo orders. The reported sales up 29% and profits up 79% in the quarter.

They mentioned all the reasons already discussed plus that hunting is up this fall (the woods are a safe place). Here is a summary of their results:
https://s24.q4cdn.com/982007713/files/doc_financials/2021/q2/Q2FY21-Infographic-vf.pdf

I just ordered 1000 rounds of .45 ACP from Georgia Arms (just in case). I have a good supply of 30/30 and 35 Remington now. I do need some 9mm. I am beginning to think that we are looking at a shortage for years (not months).

·
Registered
17 Posts
My God... It's STUPIDER than I thought!!

Went back and checked on that box of bullets, and that 525 rounds of 36 grain Remington Golden Bullet went for... $170
That is insane, to say the least. I have two of those 525rd boxes Rem 40grain HP sitting on my shelf. They were $10 or $11 a box at WalMart years ago when I bought them; still shoot quite fine for me...

·
Registered
9,875 Posts
The 30 30 situation is a troubling sign as this time of year the supply should be at it’s peak and the price should be the lowest with sales and rebates. Hopefully, many of us have already learned and prepared for these all to common disruptions.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
5 boxes of Federal 150gr 30-30 went for $555 last night on GB. Crazy Times for sure.
WOW, glad I have 30 boxes that I purchased many years ago. I probably have a small fortune with everything I own. I always felt somthing like this would happen and started preparing 19 years ago after the attacks on the world trade center. Funny thing is the people who asked why I was doing that back then are the same ones today asking if I could sell them some ammo LOL.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Was in Bass Pro yesterday and talking to one of the salesmen who said the reps are tellin' them that the ammo companies are making just as much as they've always done but it's flying off the shelves (actually, the counter, because it doesn't even make it to the shelves) as soon as it's unloaded from the trucks! Said it seems like a lot of them are scalpers and it's goin' straight on the internet! If folks would just not panic and let this ride for a couple weeks...we'd get back to some sort of normalcy! BUT, we all know that ain't gonna happen!

41 - 60 of 77 Posts