Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
I am usially cautious buying ammo I dont know the history of. How was it kept? Will they turn out to be reloads and if so, what the heck went into them. I try to buy just from dealers who get it from the distributer. Having said that, in desperate times....

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
On my way back from the Adirondacks Wednesday I stopped at Bass Pro. No ammo, no powder and very few bullets for reloading. Guys with me were looking for 270 ammo to no avail.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
These shortages go away and many of the scalpers get burned, which does not bother me much. Like many of you I keep an inventory but i don't have a lot of 30-30 factory shells this year. I do have a pile of 30-30 reloading supplies and a lot of primers and powder as well as bullet molds. 30-30 to me is the perfect rifle to survive this type of hysteria. If needed I could even shoot cast with about the same performance as factory. At this time scalpers and hoarders are cleaning the shelves. Deer season here is tomorrow so its a bit late to buy any ammo.

DEP

·
Registered
816 Posts
Can’t imagine anyone not having stocked up with needed hunting ammo after all the previous panics we’ve had. Op is buying a new caliber, bad timing. Buy it anyway.
Was at a well stocked lgs this week, didn’t check 30-30. But found plenty of 32 spl at $25 a box, leverloution.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
These shortages go away and many of the scalpers get burned, which does not bother me much. Like many of you I keep an inventory but i don't have a lot of 30-30 factory shells this year. I do have a pile of 30-30 reloading supplies and a lot of primers and powder as well as bullet molds. 30-30 to me is the perfect rifle to survive this type of hysteria. If needed I could even shoot cast with about the same performance as factory. At this time scalpers and hoarders are cleaning the shelves. Deer season here is tomorrow so its a bit late to buy any ammo.

DEP
This shortage is not gonna end soon. It will run into 2021 a good bit. You will get a trickle here and there and some will get none. There are many reasons. When 17 million guns are sold in the first three quarters of the year, you have panic buying and hording buying and scalpers. All ammo manufacturers are low on raw materials and man power. Covid has impacted both. From what I am understanding the over seas manufacturers have the same issue and then you have the lead time of orders (usually 3-4 month lag). To top it off Remington left the cupboard bare. No raw materials to manufacture any ammo when they sold out. Your only avenue at this point is to reload what you can, buy from scalpers or get lucky and pick up some ammo when some shows up. Thank the lord for catching up a year ago and my brother and I's HUGE reloading stash and stock pile. I hope his house don't catch fire, he has 95% of the powder. LOL

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
There a good chance the wave of Red Federal Jurist put on the bench buy McConnell will hold back anything short of a change to the Constitution.

·
Registered
9,875 Posts
It’s going to get worse before it gets better. This is different than past shortages. You never saw 30 30 shortages and scalping this time of year. There used to be rebates, sales and 30 30 was about as cheap as rifle ammo got . Between Covid, BidenHarris and the uncertainty in Senate control people are realizing that this can be the slippery slope coming true. Did you ever think you would see the most anti gun Senator getting elected in Arizona ? Folks, keep your powder dry.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
I got stocked up about 8 months ago with primers, powder, and bullets. Could use some more bullets I suppose but all set for quite a while on primers and powder. I can always make bullets if I have to. Those are some ridiculous prices that you are showing. I went to the Scheels just outside of Dallas a month ago and the ammo shelves were quite empty then.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I have about 12 to 1400 rounds of it as I have been buying it regularly for over s decade every time it was on sale or very reasonable. It's above north of 45 to 50 dollars a box for a couple of months now. I was up in NH about three weeks ago and stopped in the Walmart and they had it on the shelf for 15.47 a box, no sales tax. I bought the 9 boxes of Remington 150 core lokts they had left and the four boxes they had of the Winchester. Did leave about 6 to 8 boxes of something else. Took about 15 minutes to get someone to open the ammo case but it was worth the wait.

I after 2014 I knew that history will inevitably repeat itself, and unfortunately we may never see the low prices ever again. One can only hope at this point. My 9mm and 45 acp portfolio has been great bartering with recently. It's better currency than bitcoin IMO.

·
Super Moderator
12,236 Posts
No shortage of factory 30-30 here. Stocked up on that along with everything else during the last 4 years. Buy it cheap and stack it deep!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Sort of related, had some really dubious looking folks doing work in the house this year, in and near the reloading room and the stack of ammo boxes. When ammo and components were cheap, bought enough to last (hopefully) thru anticipated retirement. Got to thinking of the current value of all that loaded ammo, and went to some trouble to hide/conceal it. Not so worried about the component cases, powders and loose bullets, etc.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts