Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to my Hornady reloading manual, maximum charge for a 170gr Hornady FN using W748 is 36.5 gr, does this sound right. Every other manual I have seen has it significantly lower for a 170gr bullet? it is infact a hornady bullet, does that mean they know best? Has anyone loaded this in their 336 before? If you have experience with this combo please let me know. Thank you,

Ozzie
South Florida

·
Registered
440 Posts
It is likely a safe load but not necessarily the best load. I have found that best accuracy is usually well below the Hornady Max. I don't use 748 but have found this to be true with LVR and TAC.

Bob A

·
Banned
805 Posts
Floridamarlin said:
it is infact a hornady bullet, does that mean they know best?
Some bullets are harder to launch than others; the manufacture have tested theirs.

Max pressure is rifle specific. Start low if you don't know; then learn by experience.
That said...
Of the 2 powders I've tested, listed in my Hornady manual; I'd say it was right.
Start low if you don't know.

·
Registered
978 Posts
It might have something to do with how much of the bullet is inside the case at the specified c.o.l.. The deeper you seat a bullet, the higher the chamber pressure. Generic load data has to take into account the deepest possible seated bullet. For example if you were to measure the length of all the different 30 caliber 170 grain bullet, their length could vary by up to 1/4" dependant on the nose profile and if it has a boat tail. When you load those various bullets to the same cartridge overall length, the longer bullets will be seated deeper and have higher chamber pressure. With the Hornady data they're able to measure the chamber pressure with that specific bullet. The Hornady 170 gr fn bullet is short, so in theory it should allow you to use more powder.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
NEVER assume any maximum listed load will be safe in YOUR rifle. An earlier edition of the Hornady loading manual lists a maximum load of 35.2 grns of 748 for the same bullet. No two rifles are the same. You should start out at a charge weight below the maximum listed load and work your way up watching for excessive pressure signs. You don't want to be a one eyed one handed deer hunter.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Most Hornady bullets with a crimp groove have a smaller dia in front of the groove than the main dia behind it.

This gives them a smaller bearing surface and less pressure than other manufacuturers bullets in the same wgt.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I've noticed that maximum loads listed in my Hornady manual are generally higher than Lee, Sierra, Hodgdon, and Lyman (for the same weight/design of bullet, of course). Sometimes more than 1.5 grains higher. Not always, but it seems more often than not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts