Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been waiting to order some more bullets, I got the last box of 100 of Hornadys Interlocks from Midway last month then they were out of stock. Now they are unavailable, and the Remington Corelokt`s are the same status. Is something bad going on?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Folks are getting ready for hunting season.
I would hate to know my ammo supply was so low that I had to buy bullets to load hunting ammo for season in a few months. I have enough ammo for the next 30 seasons.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Determine which bullet shoots the best in your rifle, then buy in bulk -- 500 to 1000 bullets. Sounds like a hoarder's supply, but you will be surprised just how fast you can shoot off several hundred bullets. By buying bulk, you beat any price increases and always have stock on hand.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ive been waiting to order some more bullets, I got the last box of 100 of Hornadys Interlocks from Midway last month then they were out of stock. Now they are unavailable, and the Remington Corelokt`s are the same status. Is something bad going on?
No nothing bad, just hunting season coming up yet again..... I sent you a PM with a # of sources that have what your looking for.

·
Premium Member
12,561 Posts
Ya, it's a good lesson to learn about handloading:

Find a load that you really like.

Then stock up on all the components for that load: bullets, primers, cases and powder. Make sure you have an ample supply, so that when this seasonal shortage happens, you are not affected. Or when something really bad happens like some gun-grabber gets elected... The panic buying doesn't have any effect.

I barely modified my shooting and loading during the shortage after Sandy Hook. When I find a hunting bullet I like, I buy 500 of them, or more. Match bullets I used to buy in larger quantities, thousands, when I was shooting a few thousand rounds every year. And 22 ammo... :) I've got LOTS of that stuff on hand, 'cause I use a lot of it.

I can always build my standard hunting loads, no matter what's available locally or online.

That wasn't always the case. There was a time, long ago, when I thought a box of 100 bullets was a lot! Ha! :)

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Ditto to all the above. My simple rule is to have an absolute minimum 5 year supply of components and loaded ammo on hand for every caliber i have, some up to a 10 year supply. (22LR).
Brass, powder, primers, bullets. Keep a good inventory of everything to keep you going if things go screwy, or a favorite product gets discontinued..

Buy in bulk, 500 to 1000 lots of bullets at a time, and buy as often as you can afford it. its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I thought 500 count was a lot a while back.. now I burn thru that in an AR in a weekend sometimes...

People say I am a hoarder, but I just say im well prepared, and I wont have to freak out if there's another scare in the near future.. I will just keep on doing what I do.. and watch my friends stand in line hoping to get that "one hard to get powder" again..

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
Ya, it's a good lesson to learn about handloading:

Find a load that you really like.

Then stock up on all the components for that load: bullets, primers, cases and powder. Make sure you have an ample supply, so that when this seasonal shortage happens, you are not affected. Or when something really bad happens like some gun-grabber gets elected... The panic buying doesn't have any effect.

I barely modified my shooting and loading during the shortage after Sandy Hook. When I find a hunting bullet I like, I buy 500 of them, or more. Match bullets I used to buy in larger quantities, thousands, when I was shooting a few thousand rounds every year. And 22 ammo... :) I've got LOTS of that stuff on hand, 'cause I use a lot of it.

I can always build my standard hunting loads, no matter what's available locally or online.

That wasn't always the case. There was a time, long ago, when I thought a box of 100 bullets was a lot! Ha! :)

Regards, Guy
I've done that, then a month later, I trade the rifle in for something else, then I start all over again!!!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, thinking about this situation, I just started loading about hunting season last year and shot factory rounds and saved my brass, decided I might better pick up some more powder after work today, had a little less than a pound of 3031, so I got another pound. (I`m not a hardcore loader like most of you guys, and cant really afford the 8 lb bottle) but they had a old can on the shelf, about 3/4 or more full that I couldnt resist just for the can for $5. I imagine the powder is still good, might have to try a couple rounds just to see, I mostly just wanted the can as a keepsake. Wish it had a date on it. Its a one pound can, the sticker under the $5 sticker says $17.95, the new bottle one pound was $29.95.

Next year I will be better prepared for sure!
Drink

·
Registered
221 Posts
Try Graf & Sons good prices, good supply, $7 flat rate ship and handling anywhere in the lower.

They have the Hornady in stock and the Serria 150's and 170's and the dreaded 130gr Speer hot core?

·
Registered
686 Posts
RMR.com (RockyMountainReloading) has bulk 150gr FN pull-downs in stock. About $20/100, if you buy 250 or more. Their prices include shipping. Bullets appear to be Federal HiShok.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would hate to know my ammo supply was so low that I had to buy bullets to load hunting ammo for season in a few months. I have enough ammo for the next 30 seasons.
I`m not hurting for hunting ammo by any means, Ive got 170 rounds loaded, be lucky to use 2 or 3 rounds hunting ;) But my target shooting was slightly starting to make me wonder when Midway sold out of my bullets. Ive got a few hundred coming this week and sitting on 800 primers and a cpl pounds of powder, and still a cpl hundred brass cases already polished. I`ll be ok :) I wont live to see 30 more seasons

·
Banned
619 Posts
My favorite .30-30 load is the 170 gr. Speer with W748. During Obama Scare 1 I couldn't get either one. I could get 170 gr. Remintions and H335, so I loaded many of those. One happy accident was that the load I settled on for accuracy matched the velocity and POI of my old load. I'm back to the Speer & W748 now. Any more I buy bullets 500 at a time for proven loads. Also 8#ers when I can get them. Single boxes of bullets and cans of powder are for experimental things.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.