Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any load data or experience on this combination?
RL19 is supposed to be a good powder for an 06 and the Game Kings are supposed to be a good accurate bullet.
Thought I'd give them a try.

Thanks,
Larry

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
1. The Alliant Powder Reloading Guide shows 62 grs of RL19 for a 150gr Speer SP.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...2&weight=150&shellid=81&bulletid=121&bdid=566

2. My old (1995) Sierra reloading guide shows a start load of 54grs for 2600fps and a max load of 61grs for 3000fps. Those loads are for RE-19 and because of the age of that guide, I wouldn't bet that RE-19 and RL-19 are the same. So please exercise caution.

You'll have fun finding out what your 30-06 likes. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
I shot a deer with that 150 gr Sierra GK from a .30-06 - - once. It was a good shot, centerpunched the boiler room (though, it might have been a fuzz high), and the deer died quickly. The off-side shoulder was blood-shot beyond recognition though, as were the back straps and part of the loins. I found the base of the jacket cup and a couple of copper petals here and there, but the core had a full pass-through. The size of the exit wound was about as big as a baseball. Can't remember the load, but it was likely IMR-4064 or IMR-4320 and running in the 2,900 fps neighborhood. Ended up with lots of trim for grinding from the font end of that whitetail.

The Sierra 150 gr SBT GK is a great, accurate bullet, and it did what a good bullet does - - it killed the critter, so I can't say the bullet failed. If anything, it did what it is supposed to do a bit too well. Maybe if the velocity had been down in the 2,700 or 2,800 fps neighborhood, my results would have been different. For 150 gr bullets in my .30-06, I have switched to the Remington 150 gr PSP-CL and it will do about anything the Sierra did, but seems to hold together a bit better.

If you want to stay with Sierra boat-tailed Game Kings, I would suggest the 165 gr HPBT Game King - - it is quite a bit tougher than the SBT, and still performs as well on deer sized critters as the other boat-tailed Game Kings of 150 or 165 grains.

Can't speak to the Re-19 - - haven't ever worked with it - - for specific load data in any cartridge.

Not trying to dissuade you from using the Sierra 150 gr SBT Game King - - they are great bullets, especially on deer. A parting shot of advice... If you do use that bullet, make sure and put it where it needs to go, otherwise you will lose some serious meat.

·
Registered
662 Posts
If RL19 is all that you have, it'll "do", but there are are great number of powders that are better in the '06 with the 150gr bullets.

I would recommend RL15 as a first choice and IMR4064 as second, and I've loaded some outstanding loads with Win748/BLC2 (same powder, different labels and lot#s). Even IMR3031 has been excellent in the '06 with 150's. My favorite 150gr load is the Sierra GameKing or Nosler BallisticTip over 54.0gr of BLC2. Second favorite is H414 @ 60.0gr. Either of these will give over 3,000fps from a 24" bbl.

My experience with RL19 in other cartridges and in the '06 with 180gr bullets has been "lack-luster". It's really too slow for the 150gr bullets and RL22 is far superior with 180gr and heavier bullets.
My only use for RL19 is in the .260Rem with 129gr Hornady bullets. And, when the current lot# is gone, I'll never buy any more.

I've never gotten the velocities listed for RL19, and with the exception of the .260Rem, accuracy has been nothing special.
RL17 is also lack-luster in the '06, but is fantatstic in the .260 and 7mm08.

For the '06 with 165gr and heavier bullets, my favorite powder is IMR4350....Followed by RL22 with 180 and 190gr bullets.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've had outstanding accuracy with IMR-4831 and the 150 grain Sierra Gameking. Like all cup and core bullets, you don't want to push it faster than it was designed to be pushed 2700-2900 fps and it works great.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, thanks for the replies. It sounds like the 150 GK might not be the best bullet to use on deer, but if I try to keep it around 2800 fps it might be ok.
I'm going to load some up since I have the powder and bullets already, and see what they do at the range this weekend. I usr RL22 in my .270 with excellent results, and I read RL19 was "the powder" for an '06.

We'll see Saturday.

·
Registered
981 Posts
LJLKRL said:
Wow, thanks for the replies. It sounds like the 150 GK might not be the best bullet to use on deer, but if I try to keep it around 2800 fps it might be ok.
I'm going to load some up since I have the powder and bullets already, and see what they do at the range this weekend. I usr RL22 in my .270 with excellent results, and I read RL19 was "the powder" for an '06.

We'll see Saturday.
If I had to chose one powder for the 30-06 in a bolt gun, it would be IMR4350. If I could have 2 powders I'd add H4831 for the 180s and up. If a semi-auto is in the rquation then IMR4895 or H4895 would get a look for the 150-180s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts