Marlin Firearms Forum banner

30 06 recoil

3K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  3putts 
#1 ·
I’ve only got one H&R, a 410 Tamer, nice little fun gun. I’m chasing a centrefire, and have the offer on one in 30-06, not my first choice, would rather a 270 or 308 but there’s not a lot coming up on the used gun pages here in Australia. Anyway, being a fairly light rifle, what’s the recoil like in the Handi rifle in 30-06?

#3 ·
It will kick. No doubt about it. It was not meant to be a plinking rifle. Out of my M1 Garand, I will be able to shoot about 50 cartridges before my should says "no thanks" to another clip.
My hunting rifle in 30-06 is a Remington 700. Its 5 pounds lighter than the Garand, so there is more kick, but it really is manageable, without causing me to anticipate the recoil, causing flinching.
I think you would like it.
Andrew

#5 ·
I never found the 30-06 to be that bad recoil wise.
Similar to a 12 gauge shotgun.
But it would be more pronounced in the H&R rifle due to lesser weight.
Time for a recoil pad for sure if you plan to shoot it a lot.

#6 ·
The felt recoil also depends on the design and balance of the rifle. I have a Ruger M77 MK-II 30-06 and its a joy to shoot. I can easily go through a box of 50. My father has a sportsterized Mauser 98 action in 30-06 that weighs 4 lbs more than my Ruger and it knocks you off the bench and jumps on you when you're down. I don't know what it is about the way it's build but its not a fun rifle to shoot (or carry) at all....however, it is extremely accurate. I used to shoot a quarter at 100 yards with my Ruger...but the M98 would shoot clover-leafs.

I would think from a Handi, it might be similar to the M98. It seems to have a higher center of mass to the rifle as a whole...My Ruger is more "streamlined" for lack of a better description....Its my guess anyway.

redhawk

#8 ·
The 30-06 is a most versatile cartridge, especially if you load your own.

Depending on the load, recoil runs from 10.8 ft.lbs and higher in a 9.75 pound rifle.
As noted above, this recoil is nearly identical to 12-gauge shotguns.

#10 ·
Having owned a Win Mdl 70 in 30-06 I found the recoil on that to be quite a bit more "snappy" than my 308 Ruger American which I own now. I down graded per-say as I didn't really need an 06 where I hunt now so my 308 will do everything the 06 will do with much less felt recoil. If you're not recoil sensitive it would serve you well. Not sure the barrel length on that H&R but you may not get the most out of it with a barrel under 20". As others have mentioned you may want to put a nice soft recoil pad on it in the long run to make it more comfortable to shoot.

#11 ·
We had a kid in our school whoes name was Ray Merrit. You know how school kids are. When something wasn't to good it was said to have no "Ray". Well H&R Handi rifles have no Ray when it comes to stock design. They have none and and that to the wieght and in heavy calibers you have a kicker. The wieght of rifle and stock design many times will have more effect on felt recoil than cartridge.

#13 ·
Aussiemick -
Years ago, I helped a friend sight in his -06 Handi-Rifle. Firing from the bench off of sandbags, it really "get your attention". Once sighted in and shooting from field positions (NOT Prone), it wasn't bad. It's not a rifle to shoot all afternoon with, but for a walkabout HandiRifle - it worked well.
If you load your own, lighter bullets at reduced velocity are great plinking rounds. Good Luck!

WYT-P
Skyhunter

#14 ·
I sold my .30-06. It was a US Model 1917 sporterized. If you load a 180 grain bullet to 2700-2750 FPS, the recoil is substantial. I didn't like it. Everyone's tolerance is difference, test some before you buy.

Reactions: Bearcat 74
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.