Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I got so busy a few months ago and had daylight to shoot I started working up loads with the 150 Hot core. After using the obvious favorites I started playing with different powders that looked workable. I wound up loveing 2015br and Benchmark. The most accurate powder with the 150 hot core was 760. I shot a 4 shot group that is a shade under a 1/4". The velocity was 2760fps. When I worked up Benchmark I got 1/2" groups but managed 3000fps. Very consistent and fun to shoot. I have a 30-06 Encore pistol. I worked up a load with the 150 Ballistic tip that shoots 1/2" groups and gets 2750fps with 2015br. I guess thats why they make so many different powders. I have been playing with H335 in the 06 also and it looks like its going to give close to 3000fps out of the rifle with 1/2" groups. All of these loads impact the same out of the rifle at 100 yards. reflex264

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
reflex264 said:
Before I got so busy a few months ago and had daylight to shoot I started working up loads with the 150 Hot core. Very consistent and fun to shoot. I have a 30-06 Encore pistol.
Yowch! I've got a .260 bbl for my Encore, and it's more than enough pistol for me! :shock: It is fun to shoot on the pistol side of the range. Usually by the end of 5 rounds of ammo, things get -r-e-a-l- quiet as folks look at the short fat guy slowly loading another single round into the hand cannon. The folks with lots of 9mm cartridges and little time to aim them don't seem to care for the noise! :lol:

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemen-Is H414 considered usual 30-06 powder? I had never considered it until the last year I had the 30-06 barrel on my Winchester. I do not have the number right now but it turned out the best results I ever got with that rifle. I used that rifle for 40 years and reloaded for it 30+ years. I used IMR4831 mostly with a dash of IMR4350 with some loads. For whatever reason I never met another fellow that used H414 for this caliber. I didn't get 1/4" or 1/2" groups but did get a group of 5/8" once. It is a shooter tho by my standards. Reflex, you really have things going on this one. Good work! Life is good, BestLever REFLEX-who made your barrel?

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 30-06 pistol is a bit of a handful. It is very load. When I hunt with it I take ear plugs. The recoil sneaks up on you. When you shoot a .454 you know when the trigger is pulled it kicked pretty hard. The 30-06 after about 5 or 6 rounds has already brused you. The next day after 20 rounds you will be sore. I thought about getting a .260 to tame things down. The barrel is a factory TC barrel. I have the Duo mount on it with a Leupold scope. H414 is virtually the same powder as 760 and it works great in the 30-06. It surprized me that I can get the velocity up with out any more pressure in the rifle. I thought about carrying the rifle crop sniping. I have another big scope not earning its keep. I have heard people in the past talking about the 30-06 not being accurate but I will have to argue on that one. reflex264

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Reflex, I screw another barrel onto my m70 and it is a 338-06AI right now. I tried every combination of stuff I could to get the most out of a 210 N. Partition. I was aiming for 2800fps. I got there a few times but something was always wrong. I can't remember why I moved on to IMR4320, wrong, just did, a good friends recommendation, and worked up to 2800fps with that. However, it caused neck split problems at this velocity. Not often but enough to not be right. I backed off a half grain, it dropped the velocity 30-40fps but was that "magic" load I rarely find :) Very close to my desired velocity, good on the brass, and accurate. Before I started with this powder I would never have guessed it would be the one.

I have been playing with the idea of experimenting with some 180-185 grain 338 bullets. In the wierd world of ballistics this will probably take time to work out. Got any cool ideas that may not be obvious? Anyone? Life is good, BestLever

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yep. 180 ballistic tip with 53.5grs of Benchmark. 210m primer Gatlin had one and sold it. It was a sister to the .264 I am baby sitting. Tackdriver. Start at 51.0grs. reflex264

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Benchmark, I have never used the stuff but will try it. BestLever

·
Premium Member
12,008 Posts
With a 22, 24 or 26" barrel, both H4350 and Reloader 22 can produce real nice results with 165 and 180 grain bullets from the good old .30-06.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey M700. I use RL22 and H4350 in some of my 30-06 loads. I even use RL22 in the 7x57 with 160gr bullets. Works great. The H4350 most of the time gives me the best velocity. The Benchmark is giving me much better es and sd numbers. I am planning on shooting some very long range with the rifle shortly. The closer the number the better I'll be. reflex264

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemen-It surely would happen that some of you long range blasters would end up here. If you guys get to posting about it I know I'll have to get the phone book out and call some experienced like folkes to teach me how to do this type of shooting. We do have a 300-1000 yard range that is operated by a group around here for $40 per year. I don't know another thing about it. It would be fun. Life is good, BestLever

·
Premium Member
12,008 Posts
Bestlever:

Where in Oregon?

What's the name of the range?

Whatcha got to shoot at long-range?

Oregon's right close to Washington... (Purty good at Geography for a Gy-rene huh?)

:wink:

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
M700-Rouge Valley Shooting Club is the name of the outfil. Medford Shooting Club might get a quicker response. I'll gather the details for you so you don't need to chase things down on the pnone. It is a very good organzization but due to my tendency to remain outside social groups I am only now deciding to becaome aquainted. they shoot long range 2 days a week I think and are well equiped. I shoot to extend my hunting rifle popential now and do not have those long range blasters. I'm a 400 yard max guy and I can do it to some degree with my 338-06AI and my 223 Savage Varmint rifle with 69 grain bullets. a .280 or . .284 caliber bullet is what I dream of developing for reaching out there. Of course the .308 in a good wildcat combination tickles me as well. come down and show me the ropes M700. I'll get back to you soon on details. When your dinger gets tired we can haul in steelhead :wink: Life is good, BestLever

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Using 414 in a freinds 06, I was getting SD of 1 and 2 fps. :shock: :shock: I was Impressed!!

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gurn said:
Using 414 in a freinds 06, I was getting SD of 1 and 2 fps. :shock: :shock: I was Impressed!!
414 is virtualy identicle to 760 and it gives the tightest groups in my rifle. I can believe the sd of 1 and 2. reflex264

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
This was not a large sample only had 4 rounds loaded up for a freind.
They were not the best as far as accuracy, so he went on to something different. I have never seen that happen again in real life, although I'm sure it happens on the internet all the time.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Gurn said:
This was not a large sample only had 4 rounds loaded up for a freind.
They were not the best as far as accuracy, so he went on to something different. I have never seen that happen again in real life, although I'm sure it happens on the internet all the time.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I always trust my rifles more after I discuss their accuracy on the internet. Flukes become facts I guess! :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts