Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw Alan Kay packing petroleum jelly soaked cotton into a straw and I wondered how else could I use that for me.

I used red straws for fire making as I use white for salt and black for pepper when I make mini waterproof spice packets for the woods.
I used in the biggest straw the heads of cotton from 3 ear swabs and a teaspoon or so of petroleum jelly.

I pack through one end of straw using a ear swab as a ramrod. I place a whole ear swab in other end of straw to plug jelly and cotton to where I want it.
After desired amount I took a lighter and Leatherman and sealed the end.

I removed the ear swab as a plug and clipped the clean side off and ran it down to leave as a permanent plug, I added krazy glue to seal off the jelly and cotton segment.

I then sealed the last end that is open. I take the straight pin in my Swiss Army knife and heat it and run through to make a hole.

When and if needed I take off my knives ring and slit the straw and pull out enough cotton to catch a spark from my ferro rod in my sak.

Burn time is approx 3-4 mins for this size straw

My 2nd and 3rd tinder that is carried on my knife is the waxed cotton tinder sold by Victorinox and in the corkscrew opener and the 3rd is the flammable tinder inside the fob. Along with the 6x magnifier on my Explorer model I have 2 ways to make a spark or ember and 3 ways of very flammable tinder.

There is more possibilities to carry this way, a larger longer ferro rod being one.
Finger Nail Service Engineering Carmine
Tableware Dishware Kitchen utensil Plate Cuisine
Flash photography Circle Ceiling Art Space
Automotive tire Wood Hood Rim Metal
Hand Finger Eyewear Creative arts Automotive design
Wood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Material property
Spoon lure Office supplies Tool Surface lure Red
Finger Communication Device Material property Gadget Everyday carry

Registered
Nice, thanks. Like you I have several Swiss Army knives. One has a broken can opener tool. I looked at getting it fixed, but it seems it would cost almost as much as a new knife, which really I dont need. Any ideas? For the time being, it just lives as a flat blade screwdriver.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here鈥檚 another option- using Neosporin or any antibiotic cream instead of petroleum jelly. Burn time seems to be 85% or so as long as jelly but doubles as a antibiotic cream ready to apply.

These little sticks are so light and small they can be added to every pack or jacket and forgotten about til needed.

It seems there are different types of ointments even under the Neosporin branding so check to make sure yours burns with a petroleum base. I think the ones without I鈥檝e seen are white creams where as this is a thick translucent gel.

pic below is a super tiny amount on a super tiny piece of cotton maybe 1/40th of my finished straw tube and it burnt an inch high flame for 20-25 seconds. I suspect these straws including the plastic straw will burn 3 mins.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Cookware and bakeware Wood Gas
Font Engineering Carmine Nail T-shirt

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update*** I tried the longer petroleum jelly straw today and even though it was very windy it burnt for 4 mins 2 secs and then the q tip plug I used still acted as an ember if you were to blow on it for another min after the fire was out. These are the small diameter size straws too. The slightly larger diameter milkshake straw I bet would be good for 5-6 mins! I lit it with the 1鈥 ferro rod held in the knives corkscrew.

Very pleased

Registered
I have a kazillion pill bottles thanks to the meds that come with aging. I pack the crap out of these bottles with Vaseline infused cotton balls. The bottles drop easily into any pocket you'd care to put them in.

My own favorite for getting a spark, though a lot of different ones will work.

Material property Audio equipment Tool Fashion accessory Circle

Registered
I have a kazillion pill bottles thanks to the meds that come with aging. I pack the crap out of these bottles with Vaseline infused cotton balls. The bottles drop easily into any pocket you'd care to put them in.

My own favorite for getting a spark, though a lot of different ones will work.

View attachment 901538
Same here AK! Got plenty of those bottles and they'll hold a considerable amount of product (whatever that may be)! I can slip one into a side cargo pocket or a couple into my pack (which I don't go into the woods without)! If I needed to space save though, Dirty Thirty's idea sure works! 馃憤

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ever changing this Swiss Army knife kit it seems鈥 hacksaw will take apart the diamond sharpening rod and sealed it into the straw with enough extra length to remove and seal back several times.

The Leatherman case has extra pockets and space to put together a good 1 piece compact kit.
Finger Wood Thumb Nail Auto part
Wood Table Ball pen Tool Font
Vision care Eyewear Finger Paint Wood
Finger Thumb Nail Material property Everyday carry

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OCD kicked in and I had to go get a label maker for the straws鈥 it鈥檚 a great idea!!
Cloud Finger Material property Paint Font

All this stuff fits in the little sleeve behind the main compartment in a Leatherman pouch. It is still not full and in addition to the 91mm Swiss Army knife it has a 250 lumen streamlight and there is another stretchy compartment on the other side.

Registered
OCD kicked in and I had to go get a label maker for the straws鈥 it鈥檚 a great idea!!
View attachment 903259
All this stuff fits in the little sleeve behind the main compartment in a Leatherman pouch. It is still not full and in addition to the 91mm Swiss Army knife it has a 250 lumen streamlight and there is another stretchy compartment on the other side.
I like your straw, packed with tinder !!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts