Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been some what of a lurker here so may as well jump in.
I am looking real hard at having JES do rebore for me, 30-30 to 356 Winchester. This will be a cast bullet only shooter. ( don't tell me to just go 38-55/.375 have one and plans for another)
Are the lands and grooves equal in size/ width?
Anyone see any benefit from one to the other?
Is there a forum or sub forum for modifications and customizations? Such as reboring stock work, trigger work, sight issues etc.
Thanks
Jeff

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,535 Posts
I would consult JES and see what they recommend. They should not steer you wrong as it is in their best interest that you be satisfied. My gut tells me me that your choice of caliber has way more power potential than a cast bullet can handle. AC

·
Registered
990 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owner Forum! I too was a lurker for a long and finally joined a few years ago so I could post and do some other things. this a great bunch of gun lovers (mostly Marlin) who are knowledgable and don't mind sharing information if they have it. If no one is responding to a question that was asked, then either no one knows or someone who does just has not read the post yet.

I do not have any information about 3 or 5 groove, but I do know we have a decent "do it yourself gunsmithing" section. Its on the main page, about 3/4 of the way down, here is the link so you don't have to look for it. Do It Yourself Gunsmithing
Good luck in you quest, sounds interesting.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Here's what I can tell you....when I had JES do my 35/30-30 I told him it would be a cast bullet only rifle. I told him what two cast bullets I would be using and sent loaded sample rounds along with the rifle. No powder and primers of course.

In our phone conversation about the number of grooves and twist rate he said I would see no difference in accuracy between the 3 or 5 groove. I wanted to shoot 250gr bullets, so he said go with the 1 in 14" twist. I am very happy with his work and how the rifle shoots.
Font Fashion accessory Jewellery
Turquoise Green Teal Turquoise

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dunno about the comment of the 356 being to much for a cast bullet? Have run them in several large caliber rifles with no ill effects.
I hate to call and bother folks if they are working. I see he has no email so will get my questions down on paper before I call.
The 35/30-30 crossed my mind, but, if one would ever want to part with it a wildcat can be hard to move. Thus my standard chambering.
Jeff

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
During WWII, our military finally went to two groove barrels for the 1903 Springfield .30-06. They reportedly saw no difference compared to the four groove barrels previously used.

Jess has a good reputation with the three, but I would choose a five. I suppose I'm just stubborn about a few things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.