Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little tip some of you may find helpful. I have now grown in my reloading to a few calibers, and I have a Lee 4 hole turret press.
I buy one turret for each caliber, and I cut sections of thick walled 3" pvc pipe about 4 or 5 inches long. Stand them up and the turret sits in it perfectly.

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts
Excellent idea! I use the round die boxes from Lee for the loaded turrets, but they're hard to get, and I have more turrets than die boxes. Now I have a cheap solution, thanks to you. 8)

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
So the flanges that lock the turret in the press will sit on the top ridge of the PVC pipe?

Trying to picture your idea....

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Great idea. I was just about to ask the members here how you store your dies in the turret.

Thanks, Scott

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts
I store the turrets on top of the bottom half of the round die boxes, like this. Easy to pluck out of the base, and each one is labelled with the caliber, so I don't have to fish around looking for the right one.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use duct tape rolls to hold my turrets! Helps stabilize things having the extra weight on the bottom too

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Duct tape rolls......LOL :D Thats the best

·
Registered
84 Posts
The "gear teeth" of the turrets fit in perfectly...just the top lip of the turret sits above the roll just as if the turret was in the press. I like the idea of PVC more though, easier to mount somewhere and dress up.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
I think it is a great idea to use the PVC pipe. I at the moment use the Lee storage box.

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts
I liked it so much I went out and bought a 2-foot section of PVC pipe and a can of red spray paint, seven bucks total. In five minutes with the radial arm saw and five more with the dremel (cleaning up the edges) I got 13 bases, and painted them red. Now I have enough for all the extra turrets I had sitting around, even the four spares I had in reserve. 8)

Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Okay, so you cut a section of the PVC and the turrets sit inside of it?? Open on both ends? Would the turret not just fall through when you pick it up? Not seeing the advantage here, or missing something in my mental picture.

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts
If you look closely at the turrets, they have a series of protrusions around the top that extend farther outward than the rest of the turret body, like an interrupted flange. It keeps the turret from falling down into the PVC or die box. You can see it in the picture I posted on the previous page.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Back from the dead. Are you guys using 3" Schedule 80 PVC, or 3" Schedule 40 PVC? Big difference on inside diameter. And then what, just set them on a shelf? Has anyone looked at mounting them to the leg of a bench or something?

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
I have been using those and the Lee die boxes.
With the Lee die boxes you can keep the dust on the dies down to a minimum, with the tubing no so much.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts