Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, got a 3x9 bushnell trophy xlt scope for my savage BRJ 22 WMR, was thinking of putting it on my 45-70 and using the 2x7 for my 22WMR?

BTW, the 2x7 is also from bushnell, (legend)...any input would be great :)...have xs rail with ghost ring, sighted in as back up and or close in work...Thanks....Lou

·
Registered
35 Posts
For the larger calibers I like a 1.5 or 2x as the lowest setting. It allows me to shoot with both eyes open in heavier cover or snap shooting game. For my 1895SBL, I have a 2-7x Leupold shotgun scope. Crosshairs are thick and the eye relief generous. For another 45-70, I have a 1.5-5x Leupold.

Ed

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I have a 2x7 on my GBL and really like it. With a forward mount, I don't have the sights peeking into the scope sight picture, and I can crank it up to 7x to really see the whole target area even from way off.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
A 2x7 is plenty for a 45-70. I use most of my variable power scopes set on 4 or 5 when hunting and may crank it up if I want a closer look at a rack. I find it harder to hold steady under hunting circumstances, so I save the higher power settings for shooting off sand bags at the range. YMMV

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a Leupold 3X9 Long Range Duplex Reticle scope on my 45/70 XLR. It gives the elevation cross hairs so I don't have to guess at hold over. I have shot out to 300 yards and would feel good to 400+ yards. With a lot of practice the 45/70 is a long range killer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
On a guide gun 2-7x32 or 33.

The smaller scope looks better (for me) and gives more FOV, if you want to find and hit a moving target.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Trijicon 1.25-4x AccuPoint which I really really really like.
Today it's on my .30-06, but I might move it over to my .45-70

I also really like my Fastfire II red-dot on my .45-70, super accurate.

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
I agree with most here and say the lower power, 2-7, is a better choice. One additional reason might be the somewhat limiting eye relief of the Trophy 3-9 (3.4"). I prefer longer eye relief on my big lever rifles, like around 4" to 4+", personally.

I could not find the specs for eye releif on the 2-7 Legend, but if you look here, you can figure it yourself:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,60802.0.html

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a bunch guys :)..I had the 3x9 and put it on my 1895 GS....now these 46 yr old eyes can see better for sure, plus have the ghost ring sighted in for back up :)..now back to the range we go :)....Lou ;)

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
i like the smaller scopes, better balance point on the rifle. my 1895 45/70 wears a bushnell 3200 1.5 x 5 firefly. I like it!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
as soon as I get the money i want a Leupold 1.75x6 33 for the SBL I saw someone else on here with that scope and it seems like everything I want.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Lou,

Take a look at the Leupold VX-3 1.75-6x32mm. Great scope for the 45-70.

JD338

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JD338 said:
Lou,

JD338
Thanks Jim, I well do that, but not this year, have all in place so far, married off 1 daughter last fall, and my 2nd daughter coming soon, next august, man it's alot of cash$$$$$$$...plus the younger one goes back to university next month, another 5 G's there...thank god I have a decent job, Hew! :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JD338 said:
Lou,

JD338
Jim, I well check it out, i know for sure i can trade in that 3x9 if need be...gonna check out some prices, Lou ;)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Lou,

I know what you mean, I live with 3 women. 2 daughters in colledge, I am so broke I can't even pay attention. ;D

The Leupold VX-3 series is expensive BUT they are bright! Last year I watched a buck hound doging a doe at 80 yds in the woods 12 minutes past legal shooting light with that VX-3 1.75-6x32mm scope. The coatings they use make this series awesome in low light!

JD338

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Well you asked and about 90% said the 2x7 on the 45-70 and you say thanks and put on the 3x9? ??? I too, say the smaller scope on the Marlin. My reasons are several, first, light drawing of the lower power, field of view, and size of most likely target, ie deer etc.

The higher power scope for the 22 WMR, the 3x9 is what I use on my WMR, and the extra power is very handy for sighting in at the range (easier to see the tine holes) and size of the target, ie ground squirrels, p dogs, etc.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JD338 said:
Lou,

I know what you mean, I live with 3 women. 2 daughters in colledge, I am so broke I can't even pay attention. ;D

The Leupold VX-3 series is expensive BUT they are bright! Last year I watched a buck hound doging a doe at 80 yds in the woods 12 minutes past legal shooting light with that VX-3 1.75-6x32mm scope. The coatings they use make this series awesome in low light!

JD338
Nice set up Jim, I like it :)....Lou

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
handirifle said:
Well you asked and about 90% said the 2x7 on the 45-70 and you say thanks and put on the 3x9? ??? I too, say the smaller scope on the Marlin. My reasons are several, first, light drawing of the lower power, field of view, and size of most likely target, ie deer etc.

The higher power scope for the 22 WMR, the 3x9 is what I use on my WMR, and the extra power is very handy for sighting in at the range (easier to see the tine holes) and size of the target, ie ground squirrels, p dogs, etc.
Thanks...as for me, I have no need for a scout scope, or red dot...to me they don't meet my needs, 2x or 3x is very close in FOV...too each there own?..Big loop or small loop, it's all about what you like, and how you shoot it, what I have works for my needs :)..Lou

1 - 20 of 31 Posts