Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Remington 700BDL w/Leupold 3-9 scope I'm contemplating trading (I've had the rifle for about 20 years and haven't even fired it -- it's probably had about two boxes through it) because it's not what I call a "fun" gun and I'm not really contemplating any long-range shooting these days. I do find my 1984CS fun, and have been thinking I might want another Marlin (way back in the 70s I had a 336 in 30-30, but traded that off so long ago I don't even remember when or for what). I've thought an 1895 might be fun or an 1894S because I'm thinking for the purposes I'd be likely to use it for (plinking and hog hunting in CA) any of those would be useful. Any ideas as to which of those would likely be the most reasonable companion for my 357??? I figured I'd ask here, because if I posted on either the 444 or 45-70 forum I'm willing to bet what the answer would be... ;D

·
Registered
28 Posts
For plinking and hog hunting I would definitely go with the 44 mag. Great hog round. I hunt hogs with the 357 and have no complaints but you would definitely have more than enough with the 44 mag to anchor them. You could also should light loads that would be very light on the shoulder, even though the 44 mag isn't bad itself.

If there was a chance at moving up to elk and moose territory i would start leaning towards more power, even though within range the 44 would still do the job.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Have you considered a 336 in 35 Remington? Don't get me wrong, I love the '94 in .357 and .44 but since you already have the '94CS then a .44 would be basically the same gun. With the 336 in .35 Rem. you could cover a lot of critters. If you reload, you could use the same bullets for the CS and the 336 as they both have a .358 bore. That would be a cheap plinking round. Then move up to 200 grain bullets for hogs and such. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I would have to say as a general "fun" gun, out of those three I would go with the 1894 44mag. Unless you reload, which you could load down the other two and make them more enjoyable for extended plinking sessions or whatever. Between the 444 and the 45/70 I would say go with the 444, but I'm a little biased in that direction. ;) 8)

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I would go with something other than an 1894 just to be different. I'm a 444 fan so that's my first reaction however the 35Rem is a good choice as well.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Hello,

You already have a 357Magnum caliber in a Marlin rifle now. Do you think that you want to consolidate your Marlin or any other firearm calibers down the road to keep things simpler or do you just want something really different?

I would go with a 22LR Marlin or a 30-30 Marlin.

If you want a bigger caliber - I would go with a 45-70 although ammunition can be pretty expensive there unless you 'reload'.

If you do not have a 357Magnum handgun and want one so you can share your rifle ammunition - I would go with a Ruger Blackhawk (Single action revolver.) in 357Magnum or a nice Smith and Wesson d/a Model 686.

Best wishes to you no matter what you decide to do!

Catherine

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the ideas! I do have a revolver -- a S&W Model 19 -- and do reload as well, but in the most primitive manner possible; using a Lee loader. I guess I never really considered the 35 Remington -- I always pretty much thought of it as a slightly larger 30-30 (with similar ballistics) but much rarer ammo! I also didn't realize that the 35 rem has the same bore diameter as the 357; interesting, but I don't know that it's a compelling issue.

The reason I am interested in the 444 and 45-70 is that I've never really had the opportunity to shoot a "big bore" rifle, and of course the historical significance of the 45-70 is appealing. Since I live in the Bay Area (very urban) the appeal of firearms for me is more theoretical than practical; I frankly do not have easy or quick access to a range and don't really have the time or $$ to devote to hunting since we left Idaho about 25 years ago. Therefore, pretty much all of my shooting these days is target shooting. I really want to take my son pig hunting -- the kid's 28 and has been raised in the city and I've never really had the opportunity to do that with him and would really like to -- but the guns I have are really pretty much devoted to target shooting, and I figured one of the marlins would be more interesting and "fun" than the scoped remington...

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Hello again,

Do you know someone who owns a 45-70 for you to shoot or can you rent one someplace close to where you live? You could try it out and so could your son at the same time. Does a member of this forum live close to you and would be willing to let you shoot his 45-70?

If your son does not do a lot of shooting... I do not think that I would just hand him a 45-70 rifle to shoot with or without factory or 'reloaded' ammunition. How does he handle recoil? I am only 5' 3" tall and smaller but I used (Before my arthritis got really bad.) to shoot some pretty big calibers in handguns, on a regular basis - NO kidding you, myself so it is up to the individual.

I shot a Marlin 'Classic' 1895 45-70 years ago and the handloads were 'loaded' specifically for me since I had an old, bad injury plus my arthritis was not as bad as it is now. My hands are much worse now unfortunately! I shot it fine - 4 rounds out of MM's former, older Marlin 1895. It was not the classic one that he has now - he has a newer one and not the former walnut/stainless steel guide gun one. I like the historical details and LOOKS of a 45-70 but if I had one - MM would shoot it or it would hang on the wall.

If I was you, which I am not, I would get a 30-30. Cheaper ammunition to buy and found just about anywhere easily plus you can reload too. Don't they shoot pigs with that just as much as they do deer, moose, elk, etc.? MM hunts animals with a 30-30, a 45-70 and a 30-06. Plus his 22LR for grouse and so forth.

You can 'load' just about anything from what I gather. I do NOT reload but my husband has reloaded for many, many, many years. Since you mentioned your reloading equipment, there is nothing wrong with simple reloading tools - you don't need some fancy or super expensive tool for that. If it works for YOU and it is simple, quality made and accurate - use what you have for your new rifle too.

Montana Man, my husband, has owned many, many Marlins over the years. When we consolidated a BUNCH of our firearm calibers after we got married, I am a remarried widow, since my hands got FAR worse, since we moved from one small place into a small home that we just finished building... he really changed a bunch of his calibers not just me. He sold his nice 35Remington Marlin 336 a few years ago and got a 30-30. Then I got a 30-30 too. I still can take that 30-30 with me for woods/wilderness/etc. protection but I ended up fairly recently giving it to him.

I am the type of person that wants to find ammunition available and at a reasonable cost even though ammo costs have gone through the roof in the last several years. Since I do not 'reload' (I can use his ammo though.) - I used to and still plan on buying specific calibers where I could not only afford the factory ammunition but could FIND it easily.

If I ever had a 45-70 - I would call it my 'buffalo gun' because that used to be in my past plans.

Best wishes to you again.

Catherine

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you again, Catherine, you are a peach! I'll probably talk to the kid about it before I do anything, because I'd imagine he -- and not my daughter -- is going to be inheriting my guns when I'm pushing up daisies and I will definitely take his views into consideration! He actually shoots more than I do these days. He has a Kimber 45 I gave him as a (college) graduation present, a 22 SA revolver, a ruger 10/22 (well -- actually it's mine, but you know how kids are;)) and a 12 gauge, so I think he's pretty interested in making sure my (his) next rifle fits my (his) needs. :D

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
You cover quite a gamut of calibers in your story line - - - but to me there are only two true options --- MATCHING COMPANIONS !!!!

Let the pictures do the talkin' - - - - -

Marlin 1894CSS .357 Magnum (TIMES TWO) & S&W 686 Custom 7" Barrel .357 Magnum . . . . . .

Marlin 1894SS .44 Magnum & Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Magnum

;D ;D GB45 ::) ::)

PS - - I can shoot those babies up there all day long - - but when I pull out my 1895GS .45-70 it is good for one mag tube worth before I have to call it a day due to delaminated shoulderitis ! ! :eek:
:eek: ::) :p

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
bsman said:
Thank you again, Catherine, you are a peach! I'll probably talk to the kid about it before I do anything, because I'd imagine he -- and not my daughter -- is going to be inheriting my guns when I'm pushing up daisies and I will definitely take his views into consideration! He actually shoots more than I do these days. He has a Kimber 45 I gave him as a (college) graduation present, a 22 SA revolver, a ruger 10/22 (well -- actually it's mine, but you know how kids are;)) and a 12 gauge, so I think he's pretty interested in making sure my (his) next rifle fits my (his) needs. :D
You're very welcome! Take care.

Catherine

·
Registered
638 Posts
Even though I like the 45-70GS I would have to agree with some others here that the Ole 30-30 would work fine for what you are going to do. Plus as others have mentioned that Ammo is pretty darn easy to find and not all that expensive to boot.

I also have to say look for a good used Marlin in 30-30 to stay away from the new production stuff as there quality is just not there right now.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
GB45,

SWEET! I like matching caliber companions too! I did that with my past and present firearms. They liked to share ammunition. :)

You have pretty guns!

Catherine

Golfbuddy45 said:
You cover quite a gamut of calibers in your story line - - - but to me there are only two true options --- MATCHING COMPANIONS !!!!

Let the pictures do the talkin' - - - - -

Marlin 1894CSS .357 Magnum (TIMES TWO) & S&W 686 Custom 7" Barrel .357 Magnum . . . . . .

Marlin 1894SS .44 Magnum & Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Magnum

;D ;D GB45 ::) ::)

PS - - I can shoot those babies up there all day long - - but when I pull out my 1895GS .45-70 it is good for one mag tube worth before I have to call it a day due to delaminated shoulderitis ! ! :eek:
:eek: ::) :p

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
bsman, If you ever get up to Ventura from the bay area you could shoot mine to see how you like them, I have a 1894 44Mag and a 1895 45-70. I love both of them but if I had to pick just one it would be the 45-70 as I love big bore guns and the kick they have ;D

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'd have to say that: 1) I'm prejudiced! 2) Why buy something that's basically what you already have?

The .45-70 is a fine rifle, accurate once you've found a round it likes, and no harder on the shoulder than anything, IF you reload for it. I put together a load for a 405gr Lyman 457193, pushed by 13gr of Trail Boss. With the recoil pad on the 1895SS, that round is like shooting my Rem .243 m788. It's easy on the shoulder and still packs enough punch for hog (or elk) at limited range, although, for elk, I'd probably bump it up to 15 or 16gr.

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
w5cds said:
I'd have to say that: 1) I'm prejudiced!
I am not picking on YOU but every time someone asks about a new gun or caliber the RELOADERS are very biased in their point of view. I think ALL RELOADERS are prejudiced in their thinking - but personally think you are in the great minority as compared to the number of people who buy FACTORY AMMO. I do not reload, do not ever plan to reload, and am perfectly happy with the results I get from factory ammo, and I have no problems paying the higher cost of factory ammo.

I am going to try to find out what the actual numbers are for RELOADERS and NONLOADERS. Don't exactly know if anyone has taken a statistic on this but my guess from talking to a couple suppliers and large gun shops is that reloaders are less than 10% of ammo purchasers. Maybe I will start a thread poll of MARLIN OWNERS to start if this has never been done before.

THE SOAP BOX IS NOW YOURS - - or anyone elses for that matter!!! ;D

GB45

·
Registered
638 Posts
Golfbuddy45 that is why I mentioned the 30-30 as Ammo is not all that expensive and very easy to find.

As for Re Loaders VS Non Re Loaders I think by and large you are correct in the fact that there are far more people that do not re load than do re load. But on that token it would be nice to have more re loaders out there. It is a good hobby that opens a whole new world as far as shooting goes. :)

Many will say Re Loading does not have to be expensive and they are right but the problem is that many times it gets to be expensive by all the other stuff one may get once they find they like to Re Load lol.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Greetings
Do not overlook the 45 Colt. Think of it as a mini 45-70. It will easily launch 320 grainers at speeds the BP loadings of the 45-70 accomplished and the 45-70 was used effectivly on all critters. I have 45 Colt leverguns and would not hesitate to hunt any critter on this side of our world. Buff can be taken. Griz at 50 yards and all the rest are lesser oponets.
I also have 45-70s. 45-70 was my second center fire rifle. But for a handy very powerful light weight rifle it is hard to best a 45 Colt lever gun.
Mike in Peru

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
missionary5155 said:
Greetings
Do not overlook the 45 Colt. Think of it as a mini 45-70. It will easily launch 320 grainers at speeds the BP loadings of the 45-70 accomplished and the 45-70 was used effectivly on all critters. I have 45 Colt leverguns and would not hesitate to hunt any critter on this side of our world. Buff can be taken. Griz at 50 yards and all the rest are lesser oponets.
I also have 45-70s. 45-70 was my second center fire rifle. But for a handy very powerful light weight rifle it is hard to best a 45 Colt lever gun.
Mike in Peru

Yeah -- but then I'd have to buy a 45 colt pistol, and that would be.... awesome!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts