Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2nd Gen glock 17 "pencil test" question.

I just picked up a 2nd gen 17, all looks well. I always do a "pencil test" to see if the fp is hiting, and this one is. It shoots the pencil up about 2", nothing at all like my 1911! ha. I am going to shoot it tomorrow, Lord Willing, to give it good checking out. Do all Glocks have a light hammer strike like this or is this one getting old? My last surgery's anathesia wiped out any memory I had of other glock pencil tests!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Re: 2nd Gen glock 17 "pencil test" question.

I never did this before- ya learn something new everyday- even if you're not tryin...

So I took a brand new pencil and stuffed it into my 1994 vintage Glock 19- the "Tupperware". I cleared it, pointed it straight up and put the pencil down in it and squeezed the trigger, releasing the striker... and the pencil went 7-8" up into the air.

So by comparison- my Glock's got a lot more zip than the one you tested. Hope this helps.

M

·
Premium Member
18,092 Posts

The harder the pencil is (or whatever part the FP hits), the farther it will go. Try a BIC pen. They go across the room in most of my guns. Kitties beware! :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts

HA :D

Never heard of this trick...just tried it on my G36...shot a bic pen about 2 feet.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Bic pen went about 7". The range test will help out. I never trust any handgun until it is 99.99% reliable ( cause nothing is 100%, right? 8)) Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts

Glocks don't lightstrike. But, it could be gunk in the firing pin hole. I would strip down the slide if it does not shoot correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts

"Pencil test"..... I'd never heard of it, but I likes the concept. ;) My G36 launches a new pencil (from the new, unsharpened end) about 8" into the air. It leaves a fine dimple in the wood too.

Pen rather than pencil so as to avoid leading in a Glock, Roe? :p ::) ;D

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Update.....I just took it to my smith I use, and he is going to change out the springs, install a 3.5# disconnecter for me. The trigger on it wasn't resetting properly. This Model 17 has the adjustable sights on it, so I think I am leaving them on, see how if shoots, might make a neat coyote shooter! I normally like to have Night Sites on this lind of pistol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts