Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Was very popular with wealthy skeet shooters light recoil and more shot than a 410. Seen a lot of them in over/unders never saw one in a single shot.

·
Registered
25,101 Posts
I shoot both .410 bore, and 28 ga O/Us. The 28 ga, surprisingly, has a bit of recoil from my (Savage 555) lightweight O/U. I use Winchester AA Super Sport Sporting Clays loads; 2 3/4", 3/4 oz with 7 1/2 lead shot. They do alright at 1300 FPS.

Great for doves and they are much fun to shoot. Plus, I also reload them.

Gr8rtst.

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Don't ever underestimates a 28 gauge. My friend has a little Stoeger SxS with a set of 28 and 20 gauge barrels for it. He is absolutely fearless with the 28 gauge as he takes long shots and drops birds dead. Several years ago we were sitting under some mesquite trees and a crippled dove lit in a tree and I shot at it with a 20 gauge and it just shivered and shook but stayed in the tree, my friend cut loose with the 28 gauge and feathers just exploded from the dove and down it came. I am guessing 40-yard shot, not too shabby for a 28 gauge.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Doubles in 28 ga and elegant and graceful. They look like they would carry effortlessly in the field and swing like a dream on the skeet range. The shotguns tend to be pricey and so is the ammo. But they sure are good looking.

I've seen them, but I've never shot one. Sweet.

·
Super Moderator
11,158 Posts
Nice pleasant gauge to hunt with just like 16. In fact I think it is probably easier to get 28ga shells than 16ga shells.

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
My friend and I walked into the Gibsons store in Huntsville, TX back in the early 70's, I was going to college there at the time. A guy that I went to college with and knew was working behind the gun counter, he was a stocky youth with long blond hair that he swept back and everyone called him Eagle and he did kinda resemble one. LOL.

Anyhow my friend and I were looking at the shotguns and I noticed a new pump High Standard with vent rib, beautiful deluxe wood and engraving on the side plates and I ask him about the gun and he replied. They are 28 gauge and they cost 157.00 and if you buy two of them I will let you have them for half price.
Money was tight going to college and all but we managed to scrape up the money and bought two of them for 157 dollars. I took mine out to my roommate's farm and his Dad was messing with his tractor and was in the market for a squirrel shotgun and he went to his truck and pulled out a Model 97 Winchester in good shape and said do you want to swap and I swapped. I had never shot a 28 gauge prior to this and about 5 minutes before we made the swap a red bird flew up and lit on the fence about 30 yards away and I rolled him off the fence and was pretty impressed with the 28 gauge.

·
Premium Member
10,571 Posts
When I was a kid me and my daddy used to get invited to a lot of dove shoots. On one a young man had a 410 pump. He could kill doves with it just as well as any man that used a 12ga.

Beware of a man who only has one gun, more than likely he knows how to use it...

·
Registered
25,101 Posts
My eyesight was damaged after my second stroke. It was serious enough that I had convinced myself I would never shoot a clay target, or any type of flying bird again.

It's taken me the better part of two and a half years to recover some of the peripheral damage, and the problem of vertigo that I suffered, and I have returned to the range.

Too stubborn to quit.

All I shoot now with my new shotguns is .410 qnd 28 ga. I did pick up a nice little Remington 1100 Sporting semi-auto in .410 bore, but I still haven't shot it yet. Comes with five screw-in chokes. But I will - soon.

It's nice to be back.

BTW, duxsnbucks, that's a sweet looking BPS! Fancy.

Gr8rtst.

·
Super Moderator
12,709 Posts
Over the years H&R has made various Classic models fitted with walnut stocks vs the usual birch or other wood. The Topper Jr Classic is fairly common in 20 gauge and .410 but I have never seen a 28 gauge before. Years ago I had a single shot NEF 28 gauge with nicely figured wood but let it go like a dummy. Story of my life lol.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Inherited a Winchester 28ga single shot from my dad years ago... It was his favorite small game gun; rabbits and squirrels... Having shot the gun a bit, it is an elegant cartridge... Significant improvement over a 410, yet not that different from a 20ga, other than the price of the shells... Average load is 3/4oz shot compared to 20ga of 7/8oz or 410 of 1/2oz.. Cost of a box of shells rivals 410 costs, if you can fined them... Every now and then my local Walmart will surprise me by stocking 28ga rounds.. My son often carries the 28ga when wanting a very light gun

Reactions: Owen49
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.