Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Riflemen: A few weeks ago I developed a handload for my brother in law's Encore 280AI. It's fun to write this because everything turned out the way I hoped. I found the sweet spot for his handloads and sighted in his rifle for a 400 yard shot if needed. He is an excellant rifleman and with the proper rifle can make this kind of shot. The load was for antelope and he just got back with two fine bucks. the 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips performed great and the shots behind the shoulders didn't ruin any good meat. In the futher I am going to suggest he use the new Nosler "Accupoint" or whatever Nosler just came out with. The bullet with the poly tip that hold together for better penetration and less meat damage on less than perfect shots. Anyway, I guess all those mistakes I have made and will make in the future paid off this time. BestLever

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
BestLever, what load did you finally arrive at?

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jackfish-My brother in law's rifle had a short throat. I made the cartridge oal to 3.192" which was .002 off the lands. Remington brass, Federal LR primer, 56 grains IMR4831, 140 grain Nos. BT bullet. This combination was very accurate for an Encore rifle. I usually got two shots touching with the third close by. I did find that these rifles get hot in a hurry, so much so that a long cool down period is important between 3 shot groups.
What are your loads for your 280AI? What rifle? BestLever

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
BestLever, I have had my 280 Rem AI since 1999. It is a Weatherby Mark V Synthetic Lightweight with a 24" #1 contour barrel. It went new in the box to the Gander Mountain gunsmiths in Wilmot, WI for the 280 Rem AI ream job and a barreled action cryo. I adjusted the trigger to a crisp 4 pounds. A 3.5-10x40mm Leupold Vari-X III sits on top of it in Leupold QR bases and rings. I have fireformed all of my brass from Remington 140 grain factory 280 Rem ammo. (Cheap from Sportsmans Guide) Here are the loads I use the most:

FAVORITE LOAD
280 Remington Ackley Improved
.284" 154 grain Hornady Interbond seated 0.02" off the lands, 3.36" COAL
Remington brass, fireformed from factory ammo
CCI 250 primer
60.5 grains of WMR
2950 fps, .9" five-shot 100-yard groups

GOOD DEER AND ANTELOPE LOAD
280 Remington Ackley Improved
.284" 139 grain Hornady Interlock BTSP seated to the cannelure
Remington brass, fireformed from factory ammo
Winchester large rifle primer