Marlin Firearms Forum banner

270 WSM is complete

859 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  giarc noskcaj 
#1 ·
I got a 270WSM Remington 700 amid the big trigger recall, so that was a good thing. I traded out the stock trigger for a Timney 8oz. Time to work up some loads and make it happen.

Gun Firearm Rifle Shooting sport Shooting
Trigger Gun accessory
Optical instrument Monocular Airsoft Spotting scope Lens

See less See more
#2 ·
I bought one in 22-250. Didn't go quite the extreme as you. I did replace the stock with a Boyd's thumbhole and after getting my rifle back from Remington (recall) I am currently bedding the front lug. Wanted to try just bedding the lug area and see how it performs. Not looking to win any contest. Just tighten the whole action up a bit.

Be great to see/hear about how your rig performed.

cheers,

#3 ·
I put a Timney trigger on my Model 70 All Weather Extreme in 270 wsm about a year ago. I like the 270 wsm even if some folks badmouth it in favor of the standard 270, they have their points. It is the third 270 wsm I ave owned and they kick a little more but they sure hit hard. I had a had time finding brass to reload but finally got a good supply. I can't make up my mind on what bullet I want to go with but will probably shoot the 140 Accubond as the gun shoots 3/4 to 1 inch groups with them. I have killed 2 coyotes 2 bucks and 2 hogs with it using the 130 grain and they were bang flops. What are you going to shoot with your rig?

#4 ·
I'll send a pic of the book where I got it and the load I'm using. I followed the book to the "T" and the result is typically a 3 fps difference. I have had one shoot 20 FPS faster that the rest. Still breaking it in and it holds about 1/2" to 1" accuracy right now. I'm hoping to get it to .33 or better by the time I have 100 through it. I'm planning on using it for a long range target gun mainly, but I would like to take elk, deer, coyote and eventually sheep with it. It's heavy enough that long shots are pretty easy once spin drift is calculated and heavy enough that nesting would be preferred to trudging it around. The rifle weighs about 14 pounds empty. Only going to get worse when it gets a krieger barrel.

-Craig

#6 ·
My only WSM is a .300 WSM Model 70. It's one heck of a shooter. I think those WSM cartridges are mighty easy to load well. They tend to shoot quite accurately.

Why go so heavy? A half-MOA rifle can be had at much less weight... For match shooting the weight is fine, but for hunting, even long-range hunting, I like to shave quite a bit of weight off that...

Regards, Guy

#7 ·
I'm definitely hoping the accuracy will tighten up when its fully broke in. Hunting with my 270wsm will be more of a novelty. I am liking how easy they are to load. I thought the crono was busted at first because it was tracking suck minor differences.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.