Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to working up/testing some loads for my 444 Marlin using the 270 gr Speer Deep Curl and H4198. I shot loads from 42 gr up to 46.5 gr with a 44 gr load at 2040 fps being the most accurate. I'd like to hear from anyone with actual experience with this bullet on game. I used a 270 gr Speer GDSP on a bighorn ewe a few years back out of a SBH revolver and it performed well. Anyone know if they changed anything other than the name with the Deep Curl? I'm just wondering how it will hold up with the higher velocity of the 444.

·
Banned
1,132 Posts
the sticky says it all,
  • 444 Marlin Bullet Test - Heavyweight Championship

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
the sticky says it all,
  • 444 Marlin Bullet Test - Heavyweight Championship
There is a lot of great information there. I just want to hear peoples experiences on game and how it held up on bone, muscle tissue, etc at various distances. I was doing a bullet test a while back with my 375 JDJ and 270 gr Hornady bullets with a combination of catalogs, particle board and milk jugs attempting to simulate bone/muscle (I posted the results a while back in the .45-70 forum). I know of many people who have used that round to kill elk and larger game with excellent results. In my test the bullets jacket and core separated and penetration was not very impressive. Based on my test alone I would have no faith in that bullet on anything larger than a deer. From other peoples results I know it is capable of handling much larger game.

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
We've killed lots of deer with them, never found a bullet, in our 1-38 MG we run ours around 2200fps, very, very, very accurate! One time I shot through a 2" tree and killed a meat deer, it was not a pretty entrance and exit wound. IMHO the 270gr Deep Curl (Gold Dot) is not a very good bullet for Elk size critters, it's rather soft, and may not get the penetration on a not so good shot!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I switched to this bullet and 4198 powder a few years ago. Of course I have the same 1" groups everyone else gets with this combination in their 444. As for performance- only killed 2 bears with it. Neither bear took a step. No bullets recovered. Evidence of ample expansion.

No tracking required.

M

Reactions: GaCop
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.