Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,132 Posts
I was rereading 444 Marlin Bullet Test - Heavyweight Championship last night. It's a very good read:biggrin:. As soon as I get a 444 barrel(encore, mgm barrels 23" heavy factory barrel) I get to start finding a 265gr Hornady fn with h4198 or rel7 or h322. (I have brass and bullets and powder, but no barrel:() since I am disabled, (I had a stroke, right side of my body don't work). Say I find a load and it starts at 32.6gr of h4198 at 1700fps, and then I got out hunting deer; and lo and behold a big 8 point comes by at 100 yards, I shoot, deer takes it on the shoulder, what happens? I know with a 270 Win 130 Nosler bt with a load of imr4350 its a dead deer. Will the bullet expand?; or would I be better with a 280gr Beartooth bullet? I have 2 boxes of Hornady 265gr. I need to get some Beartooth's, if the barrel ever comes.

·
Premium Member
17,014 Posts
Hey T,

The H'Day 265 grain bullet is a fine bullet. Designed with the .444 in mind.

Later, Mark

Reactions: tdoyka

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
What happens, dead deer, your shooting a 44Mag rifle at that velocity, and a 44Mag rifle is a excellent deer getter!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
If I was working with 1700fps muzzle velocity, I'd look at the 240gr bullets or 300 Hornady XTP. I haven't tested the 265fp at velocities below 1600fps (yet), but other's report the 265fp acting like a solid when impact velocities are below 1400fps. In general, 240gr bullets have light construction and offer better expansion characteristics at 44 mag velocities. The Hornady 300gr XTP would probably be my first choice if I were trying to do what you are doing. It's terminal performance would be hard to beat at those lower velocities.

Reactions: tdoyka

·
Registered
726 Posts
Dead deer, since you're shooting a MGM barrel I might direct you to look at the Beartooth 300 grain WFN. A much wider meplat than the Hornady yet will likely penetrait better.

·
Banned
1,132 Posts
(Sorry about the way its typed, I'm learning. )

I was wondering where the 265gr Hornady leaves off. I figure it should go from 2000-2200fps for real load experience. The 300gr xtp and the 300gr Beartooth is starting to look real good too. Before my stroke, I would use a 30-06 and a 270 to shoot deer; however, its been a 270 Win in Ruger #1 and a TC Encore in 6.5 Creedmoor (16 1/4" mgm heavy factory barrel) and I shoot better than average. The 444 Marlin should get 1 1/2" at 100 yards, depending on the load used; hopefully it can go 2000-2200fps. A Pachmyar recoil pad and a past recoil shied should do the trick. It should be about 50 yards where the deer/bear are; 150 yards can be the closest (open field kind of). I should get my Ruger Redhawk in 44 Mag out. It should go around 25-30 yards(open sights). I really ought to load up some 240gr for the Redhawk, as its been awhile since I used it:biggrin:. In a TC Encore (444 Marlin) rifle, should the barrel, when shot, come out of a cadwell deadshot ( v portion:questionmark:)? seeing as I only shoot one handed:shot:.

My TC Encore with a 16 1/4" 20 vartarg barrel, it swiches to 6.5 Creedmoor(16 1/4")

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
First, I say KUDOS to you for recovering from a stroke well enough and having the gumption to keep on shooting/hunting with a long-gun, single-handed. That, sir, is inspirational.

As far as the H'dy 265 gr. JFP at ~1,700 fps or so - - Starrbow aready hit that nail on the head...

That bullet will probably give you a complete pass-through in most every possible scenario on a scrawny whitetail. You won't get a tremendous amount of expansion at that velocity, but you will get some. Then you don't need too much - - you gotta' remember that the meplat on that H'dy 265 gr JFP is already about 0.295" before any expansion occurs. In the meantime, keep us posted on what kind of load you decide to go with.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I've never used a deadshot but I do use a leadsled. I think on the leadsled that the rifle could vary easily come out of the V if I were shooting with one hand. A strip of velcro to hold it in the V might be in order at least until you find out for sure that it won't come out of the V. I have a bad shoulder and the TC flex tech stock is vary helpful for absorbing recoil.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
The lead sled "solo" has a velcro strap to keep forend held firmly in place and it is shaped in a way such that it allows one to cycle the lever. Works for me and it's a bit less expesive than other models.
394466.jpg

·
Banned
1,132 Posts
I found a velcro strap that should work, thanks guys!!!

dwb, thank you, its not easy, but you gotta do what you gotta do!!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I missed my target velocity by 150fps with 34gr of H4895, but I did get two different bullets with exactly the same recorded velocity. Both of these had a recorded velocity of 1231fps.
mwrurelated020_zpsbf3ca9ab.jpg
The bullet on the right is the Remington 240 factory 444 ammo reloaded with 34gr H4895 and had a recorded velocity of 1231fps. It dumped a high percentage of it's energy in the first jug and stopped just shy of making it into the 5th jug, poking a hole into the 5th jug, but was laying in the bottom of the 4th jug.
The Hornady 265FP loaded with the same powder charge and recorded an identical velocity. The bullets energy release was way more linear and the bullet came to a stop at the bottom of the 19th jug. When I can, I am going to add 4gr to the load and test closer to 1400fps.

·
Wrangler
395 Posts
I find that rather interesting, I hope you are able to post picks of the next step in the expirement. The Hornady looks to be designed for higher velocities and heavier game.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Ditto on the kudos for carrying on. Nice looking Encore.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy and tdoyka

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
As Tdoyka stated, he wants to work with a muzzle velocity of 1700fps. His question is "what will happen?" at 100 yards. According to my data, with a starting velocity of 1700fps, the Hornady 265fp with a B.C. of .189 the velocity will be right around 1400fps at 100 yards. At somewhere around 1400 fps and below, according to other's reports, the Hornady 265fp begins to act like a solid.
It is something that I have planed to test at some point down the road, but Tdoyka gave me my cue.
Does this mean that the Hornady 265 fp wont work at 1400fps if it does not expand? It's still a .430" bullet that is going to punch a 1/2" hole through the critter. With a properly placed shot, deer samwich or however it is that Starrbow says it.:biggrin:
On a connected note, the same load under the Hornady FTX (gummytip) with the FTX's lesser case capacity produced a velocity of 1489fps. Depending on barrel length, that represents an impact velocity at 300 to 350 yards from the factory load.
LVR1489fpspic002_zps0ea159a2.jpg
The Hornady FTX bullet with a recorded velocity of 1489fps made it into the 6th jug and performed quite well.
For most people who push these bullets at upper velocities, these impact velocities aren't all that relevant unless they are shooting out beyond 300 yards. Haven't heard of many people shooting at game with a 444 Marlin at those distances.

·
Banned
1,132 Posts
I really hope I can get 2000-2200fps out of the 265gr Hornady!!!:biggrin:
Thank you, mt sourdough.

Reactions: mt_sourdough

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
todyka,

I'll need to defer to those that use or have used the Hornady 265, as I'm a cast bullet shooter hunter with the .44 and 45/70.

I will say that a big meplat on a good cast bullet is awesome in it's game taking ability and providing your not using warp velocities It gives great kills, long penetration and minimal meat destruction and loss.

Just a few months ago, I ordered a new mold for use in my son's triple 4 and went with a 275gr Wide Flat Nose (WFN) design.

I suspect that those who give good reports for the Hornady bullet are correct, but without question a good cast WFN bullet at 1500 + fps will do equally as well.

Using a 465gr WFN in my 45/70 at 1650fps has proven to be ever so good on deer and elk.

Looking forward to the time my son harvests some game with his triple 4 and the 275gr WFN cast.

Keep us posted as to your results!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Banned
1,132 Posts
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot,
My little brother uses a 45-70 with 405gr Remington (factory loads) :shot: and this year he brought me back a bullet that looks like mt sourdough's 444 at 1400fps. Out of the 10-12 deer he killed, this is the only bullet that hasn't passed through. It was about 70 or so yards, behind the shoulder and it went thru to the off side shoulder and broke the bone and rested on the hide. I think it goes 1500-1600fps, but I don't have a chrony, yet!!!:biggrin:

Next year, I think I'll go with Beartooth bullets, either 280 or 300gr gc wfn with a metplat going .340. Well, if mgm can get the barrel:biggrin:, I'll start shooting cast. I might get my brother on it too!

mt sourdough,
I'm about to ask a dumb question but will the 265gr Hornady take a black bear? If I take it up to 2000-2200fps will it work? I have only killed one (394 pounds), I am thinking of hunting around my house, (gets me out the house anyway!) and I can drive my utv up to where I want to hunt deer. It will be 50 yards, and in spots 150yards. If that mgm can get the barrel, if not I'll use the 270 Win or the 308. Next year, would the Beartooths take a bear (280 or 300gr gc wfn)
? I really like your posts and pictures, I can't wait for more!

·
Banned
373 Posts
A 265gr Hornady bullet at 2200fps produces about 2900 foot pounds of energy, so yes that bullet and load is more than capable of taking a black bear. I would tend to keep the velocity more towards the 2200fps than 2000fps, as that bullet performs better at the higher velocity, actually 2400fps would be ideal for that bullet.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Most of my load work for the .444 Marlin, using the H'dy 265 gr JFP, has shown the consistently best results with H-4198. Re-7 did almost as well, but the accuracy node for charge weights was much narrower using that powder. The H-4198 produced very good accuracy through a broad range of charge weights and velocities where up where I wanted them.

FWIW... In Remington cases, 45.7 gr of H-4198 under the H'dy 265 gr JFP, primed with Fed #210's produced 2,275 fps from my rifle, and will produces groups like this:

20100704 Targets 003[1].JPG

As in all cases for reloading... Work up your loads in your rifle to ensure safety and determination of your best accuracy node.

That load works well on every critter I have hit with it, and none of the bullets have ever been recovered. All were a complete pass-through, and all of them resulted in Bang-Flops, DRT... In fact, the following photo is the last critter I took with the .444 and that load - - three years ago (the last time I drew a rifle tag for any season).

DWB 2011_2.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts