Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried three rounds at 50yds today. With my Speer 300UC load set spot on at 100yds, I shot a .71" group, 3" high at 50 with the 265's. I think they will work just fine for longer range deer,etc.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I think you might be right! ;D

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still have to check it at 100 and beyond, but it looks promising. I could have slowed down and got a tinier group, as I was really pressed for time. In light of that, I know it's an accurate load. To me, from past experiences, a leveraction that consistently groups 1.5 to 2" at 100 is comparable to finding a bolt gun that shoots 1 MOA consistently. A leveraction that shoots 1 MOA. consistently, is comparable to a .5" bolt gun. IOW, they are exceptionally accurate by these criteria.
Why do I want all the accuracy I can get? It gets back to that "margin of error" factor I learned shooting a bow. For example, if I take to the woods with a 3-4" shooter, determined by benchrest shooting, and I have to shoot in the field, maybe winded, maybe cold fingers, I "might" hit within 6-9" of where I aim ( just a swag). If I have a 2" or less shooter, I might can hold within 4-6" = game on the ground. If I am close enough to "finesse" a shot through the brush at a head/neck juncture, I can have more confidence, and maybe take the shot. I try to keep in the range for my shots where I can consistently stay in a 6" circle for unwounded game, 8-12" for a finishing shot. It's just a self imposed rule. Of course, elk and up are much bigger targets, now we can bump it to 8" for unwounded, 12-16" for finishing shots. I "prefer" to get within spitting range, but they don't always comply,ha. I have passed up many opportunites because I didn't have a high percentage of probable hit type of shot. I prefer to hunt before I shoot,ha.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Looking good Preacher! Them 444P's is jest like Lab puppies, cute as hell and so eager to please. ;D DP

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts
Good show there, Rev Jim!!

Jeff
NRA Life

1 - 8 of 8 Posts