Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, I don't know fiddly about BLR's but I did notice they were chambered in almost everything.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, my brother has a custom bolt in 257 R,probably the only reason I recognized it.The. current bid 800.00 when I saw it.Think it still had a few days to go.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
"Cool caliber. i would like a Ruger #1 in that."

I have the #1B in .257 "Bob". Nice gun, extremely accurate and too damned heavy for serious mountain hunting. I also shave a Winchester M70 Featherweight in the .257 Bob. I haven't done much with it so can't really comment on accuracy. One is for sure. Up around 9,000-10,000 feet mean sea level it'll be a pleasure to carry. I've been too busy playing with the cartridge that was the "Bob's" daddy, the 7x57 Mauser. I really like that one.
Paul B.

·
Super Moderator
23,897 Posts
I'm no fan of the BLR but I do have a Rem 722 in 257 Roberts as well as a custom 700 in 257 Ackley. The latter is my main hunting rifle. I have beat the hell out of it for years and it kills eberything i shoot at.

·
Registered
306 Posts
There's a pre-'64 Model 70 in .257 Roberts on there also.

I once passed on a genuine uncut pre war Mauser Sporter in a "mystery caliber". Turns out it was a .257 R. Still kick myself over that one.

Reactions: jog

·
Super Moderator
23,897 Posts
its a great all around cal. i use mine year-round here in Texas for hogs, deer, bobcat and coyotes.
seems to not be all that finikey to load for also.

·
Premium Member
15,370 Posts
I have long been a fan of the .257 Roberts, I have a Ruger # 1B and a custom barreled Remington XP-100 in .257
I had the XP-100 custom barreled and chambered in .257 Roberts about 15 years ago, shoots as well as any rifle

Reactions: PaulMooney

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I'm no fan of the BLR but I do have a Rem 722 in 257 Roberts as well as a custom 700 in 257 Ackley. The latter is my main hunting rifle. I have beat the hell out of it for years and it kills eberything i shoot at.
well sir ! I have the same gun 722 in 257 made in 1956

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
That is not a common chambering, Some steel receiver guns were made, and newer lightning series saw a one time run. These seem to go for about $100.00 more than a common chambering.

Is it the older steel gun, with the mag hanging down a bit, or the newer lightning ?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I stumbled on a Ruger Hawkeye in .257 Roberts in September of last year. I wasn't able to hunt with it last year, but it's "First up" on this year's hunt. I'm really looking forward to this hunt and Finally getting to use "the Bob"!

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
770 Posts
Just a quick update on my .257 Roberts.
This past Thursday PM (11-19-20) at 17:15 this nine point Clay County Texas whitetail walked out to access the "availability" of one or more of the six does that were grazing in our food plot.
The .257 Roberts did an outstanding job and dropped the buck in his tracks. I am impressed with "the Bob" and am currently seeking to fill another tag with a doe. I don't think the .257 will replace my trusty 30-06, but it will certainly be it's "traveling companion"!

WYT-P
Skyhunter

Buck & Rifle.JPG

1 - 17 of 17 Posts