Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I finally got this boooooger worked out. With the bullet cast from 50/50 and water dropped I can drive it 930fps with a load that allows quick follow-up shots. It was jamming before when I thought I had the load right. I do some of my best thinking when I can't sleep. When I got home from work today I went to the shop and looked at my pressure data again. The starting load with Blue Dot is 8.5grs. That load will work in a ACP case and is considered a +P load. My brain storm was to set the bullet back farther in the case since the fat nose will allow the ogive to contact the feed ramp. I worked just a few minutes and came up with a OAL of 1.153". Loaded up a handful and stepped out to our 25 yard range. BINGO!!! Accurate. Hits to point of aim and chronied 930fps. My informal impact test resulted into bottles being tossed into the air. That is a sign of a good flat meplat's impact. I pulled off some rapid fire bursts and hit what I was aiming at. My thinking is anyone looking for a heavy bullet load in the .45 ACP this is about as good as it gets. Now I know how to make my 255gr Super loads function correctly. I shot these today with the 19lbs spring. Using the super brass, the 24lbs spring and setting the bullets at 1.153" will allow the gun to launch this same bullet around 1150fps. Good enough. reflex264

·
Registered
426 Posts
I would like to here more about this.

Being here in MT and being in bear/wolf country, I have actually been thinking about this bullet wt. for my PT 1911. I have ment to PM a couple of the guys here on MO that shoot the 1911 and the Rowland 460 to pick their brain.

I know there are bigger better guns for this, but I and the PT are becoming one, every time I go out with her.

I like how she fits in my hand and I am getting bettter in hitting what I am aimming at (with in reason).

What is the mold you are casting? What about the springs ...what, where, why? Your velocity is the exact velocity that I have been looking for.

Hopefully some of the other members who shoots a .45 acp will ring in.

Lonerider

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is the Lee mold. I size them .451". The springs are for use with +p+ loads and .45 Super in my Glock 21SF. The factory 17# spring wont cut it with this sort of load. There shouldn't be a bit of trouble using this bullet in your 1911. Just watch overall length. reflex264

·
Registered
426 Posts
Reflex....at the begining of your post.... Where you using two different brass? Standard for the 930 fps and super for the 1150 fps?

Isn't the Super longer brass? and are you setting this bullet...in both brass at OAL of 1.153?

If that is the case, would not that create higher pressure for the standard acp brass?

Thanks in advance. I am still in the learning stage....probally always will.

Lonerider

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
.45 Super brass is the same length as .45 ACP (.898"), but it is thicker in the web of the case to handle the higher pressures.

.460 Rowland brass is both thicker and longer at .955" and operates at pressures approaching 40,000 PSI compared to
21,000 to 23,000 for the .45 ACP and 28,000 for the Super.

Roe

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hey there Roe!...Thanks.

Have you yourself used the 255 gr. wt bullet in your 1911's in either the standard or super plat form.

Have a friend using Lee's 230 truncate cone and getting around 240 grain drop rate. These are ww's. Wondering what the penetration would be as opposed to reflex's .255's?

Just curios.

Reflex....if you are getting 1150 with your super does that beat up your gun at all? What would I need for my PT then...

Still thinking of getting a Rowland 460 conversion kit for light deer hunting. But maybe not necessay if this load works out. But I think you said it was with a Glock...wondering about my PT1911?

I really like the ruger blackhawks/bisely's, but I am sure enjoy the PT more and more.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The super won't beat the gun up as long as you use the proper recoil spring, rod and buffer. The 930fps load will punch a 3/4" hole all the way through a deer. There are some gents that have used the .45 super to take elk. I thought about doing a Rowland but hogs and deer are all my Glock will be pointed at so I think I have that covered just fine. Penetration with the super load is in the same ball park with mid level magnum pistol loads. reflex264

·
Registered
426 Posts
Thanks Reflex. Still a little slow here, please bare with me. Using my PT 1911 for deer.....loading with Lee's 255 mold, with 50/50 ww...... I will need;

1. 'super' acp brass
2. 24# spring (which spring - sorry for being a little naive)
3. Blue Dot - starting @ 8.3 grs. Niether the two reloading manual have loads for +P loads.

Are shock buffers needed?

Have 6-7 months to develop a load before hunting season. Would love to take one with my PT.

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts
Lonerider said:
Are shock buffers needed?
Shock buffers have never done anything in my guns but make them less reliable. :p

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Shock buffs certainly don't hurt when subjecting a 1911 to a steady diet of +P, Super, or .460 Rowland loads. I use them in my .460 Kimber to prevent as much battering as possible. The key to reliability is to check the shock buffs often and replace them before they begin to deteriorate.

I also used them in my EGW limited gun, even though it never saw any rounds stouter than hardball, and never had a single malfunction in well over 40,000 rounds. Again, the key is to check and replace often...they're cheap enough. I have found there is considerable differences between the material different brands are made of. Those from Wilson, Brown and other "name" sources hold up well...un-named loose/bulk buffers as found at gunshows are worse than useless.

Five inch guns have plenty of slide travel to handle the addition of a shock buff. I do not use them on the Commander length pistols I have, nor do I install them in any 1911 I rely on purely for defense.

Roe

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lonerider said:
Thanks Reflex. Still a little slow here, please bare with me. Using my PT 1911 for deer.....loading with Lee's 255 mold, with 50/50 ww...... I will need;

1. 'super' acp brass--only if you want to go to the super level
2. 24# spring (which spring - sorry for being a little naive) check with Joe at Real Guns to make sure about the spring for the Pt1911. If you are only shooting +p you need to add about 2lbs over stock
3. Blue Dot - starting @ 8.3 grs. Niether the two reloading manual have loads for +P loads. If you are staying in the +p range then 8.5 of Blue Dot is the stopping point. It is the starting point for .45 super loads with that bullet

Are shock buffers needed? If you go to the super level they are needed. You need to check them every 200 shots for damage

Have 6-7 months to develop a load before hunting season. Would love to take one with my PT.
Check out this link for a first class super conversion

http://www.acecustom45s.com/gunsmith.htm

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
Barenjager said:
I also used them in my EGW limited gun, even though it never saw any rounds stouter than hardball, and never had a single malfunction in well over 40,000 rounds. Again, the key is to check and replace often...they're cheap enough. I have found there is considerable differences between the material different brands are made of. Those from Wilson, Brown and other "name" sources hold up well...un-named loose/bulk buffers as found at gunshows are worse than useless.

Five inch guns have plenty of slide travel to handle the addition of a shock buff. I do not use them on the Commander length pistols I have, nor do I install them in any 1911 I rely on purely for defense.

Roe
I used them in my 5" Springfield with never a malfunction... looking at the buffer after a few hundred rounds I was glad I was using them. At the time we were shooting 6.9grn Unique under a 230grn FMJ.

I do not use them in my 4" Kimber.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For those not familier with this project here is the gun......

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went out to the shop last night about 11:00 Pm and found about 200 of the 255grs from the water dropped 50/50 that haven't been sized yet. I set in to sizing them and got them all done. 50 of them are going in Super loads and the rest in +P loads. I was worried that I would have to find time to cast some more and I haven't been having time to do anything. problem solved. reflex264

·
Registered
426 Posts
Life is good!.... ;D ;D ;D

Wish I could find 200 cast boolits I forgotten about. 8)

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well perfected in the acp didn't mean perfected in the super. Yesterday I loaded a few and the jamming was back. It happened with the 24# spring and super brass. I kept playing with it and finally decided to seat the bullet a smidge deeper and reduce the charge slightly. The reduced charge would allow using the 19# spring. My seating depth for these is 1.138" and I am getting 1011fps with no shot to shot deviation in velocity. exactly 1011fps shot to shot. I shot two offhand groups with it at 25 yeards that measure 1.25 and 1.5. Most autos I know of wont do that with any load so I am calling it good. I am thinking of having BRP make me a mold more taylored to the pistol though. slightly more taper and a slightly smaller meplat. For now this will work great. reflex264

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Matt just saw you post and said he admired your common sense. I just think your lazy. ;D HAHAHAHA

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Guess hunting with your pistol calibers is illegal here. I just couldn't see getting a deagle, and I am too lazy to play past a point. My SWC Keith does go almost 900fps with just unique, and killed a pig with it once. Always feel like its a little much for gun longevity. The lee worked well, but I never bought the 6 bullet mold.

Good job!. Gotta keep the interest up.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts